View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Thread Locking on official forums 
Technical Sergeant

Thread locking has now reached epic proportions over on the TY forum.

I took Evans advice, and looked over the Forum Rules again. Seems to me, those rules are designed to allow the mods to do whatever they wish while giving very little true guidance to the users.

I’m asking for advice on suggested changes. One of those will likely be to change thread jacking rules such that the OP must first ask that the users stay on subject before the mods step in. It seems to my customers that the mods use this excuse whenever the discussion turns to uncomfortable dissatisfaction with or desired changes of the game no matter how constructive.

Any other ideas?

Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:00 am
Staff Sergeant

BF's forum; BF's rules. I don't see any change happening there.

Just post here. I think WWPD typically has a higher, more informed level of discussion than the BF forum, anyway. Besides, I suspect BF staff may pop in here from time to time.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:46 pm
First Sergeant

Its the same with a lot of FOW threads anything that doesn't follow company policy about V4 , gets the GP or deleted . I've noticed now that any threads about V3 , get deleted even if they don't break forum rules ! :shock:

So now a lot of peoples are either going to other forums or FB groups to post , where admin will tolerate non-company policy posts .

LES

Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:49 pm
Staff Sergeant

Noticed another thread just disappeared: "Is FOW in a death spiral?" or words to that effect. Lasted for a few days. Replies were more positive than the thread title would suggest. Direct feedback is valuable to businesses (or so I hear) but I guess BF garnered all the customer input they wanted to get from that thread.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:13 pm
Sergeant

BashOn wrote:
Noticed another thread just disappeared: "Is FOW in a death spiral?" or words to that effect. Lasted for a few days. Replies were more positive than the thread title would suggest. Direct feedback is valuable to businesses (or so I hear) but I guess BF garnered all the customer input they wanted to get from that thread.

Dang... I had some good posts in that one :D ;)

I'm actually surprised they let it go that long.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:07 am
First Sergeant

Truth be told, I am surprised this did not happen sooner. The forum is theirs and they can do what they want. I always thought it was great that you could have good dialog, but... in the end it is their football and they can do what they want.

One last note - I don't hang out on their forum anymore, so post away here!

Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:40 pm
Profile WWW
Captain

They may have got to the point were they felt they had heard all that they need to. Don’t take it for granted that because a thread was cut, that all comments in it were ignored.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:26 pm
Profile WWW
Sergeant

For those keeping score: Chris at BF just locked the "Battlefront Q&A at Breakthrough Assault" one...

It went a full day beyond where I expected it to be locked. And he has a sense of humor about it.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:11 pm
First Sergeant

Troy wrote:
And he has a sense of humor about it.

As LCpl Jones would say , "They don't like it up em !"

https://youtu.be/ejmFSN2qBG0

LES

Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:45 am
Technical Sergeant

Humor me, any advice?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:29 am
Private

I think the "Death Spiral" thread lasted as long as it did due to being posted Friday evening NZ time. It got deleted Monday morning NZ time. Says the BF guys don't look at their forum over the weekend. Probably off at their beach houses enjoying the fantastic weather we are having down here in NZ (or playing Bolt Action :D ).

Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:57 pm
Profile WWW
Technical Sergeant

Hehe, okay, googling shows the internet has an apparent shortage on how to write good forum rules. Or at least, google just brings up examples by sending you to forum rules for various sites.

Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:10 am
Technical Sergeant

Oh, and Bolt Action is way to competitive for those guys.

Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:10 am
Private First Class

I've been jaded with their forums since the great re-organisation and the removal of the "general discussion" sub-forum, which I think was very much a step in influencing the discussion for their product even back then.

For a time WWPD was a suitable alternative and now I guess the unofficial facebook page, to some extent.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:24 am
Technical Sergeant

Latest thread locked “before this goes South”.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:58 am
Private

That was my thread, he killed it before it had a chance to live!

Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:31 am
Profile WWW
First Sergeant

UndergroundWarren wrote:
Latest thread locked “before this goes South”.

Is Chris@BF becoming the new Big Gazza , with all the GPs ? :o

LES

Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:15 am
First Sergeant

Another one deleted off the product forum , all he was asking about was " the state of the game" , all comments were civil . :(

LES

Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:12 pm
Technical Sergeant

Given official forums now used to squash dissent from players by designers, where we gonna go? This place is becoming a cobweb.

Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:49 pm
Technical Sergeant

I think we're seeing a couple of things here - and one of them is the migration away from the old bulletin board systems like this... and the Battlefront Forum for that matter.

There's a lot of traffic on all of the various Facebook boards (official and unofficial) - and the "official" ones are policed as strongly as the Battlefront Forum...

... but the "unofficial" ones are pretty much free range. Sure, there's some moderation but generally only when people have severe cerebro-rectal inversions...

Miniature Ordnance Review - http://miniordnancerev.blogspot.com/

Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:37 pm
First Sergeant

fingolfen wrote:

... but the "unofficial" ones are pretty much free range. Sure, there's some moderation but generally only when people have severe cerebro-rectal inversions...

Lately there hasn't been so many "cerebro-rectal inversions" , as we did come down hard on some people . So now in the main most follow the rules . :)

LES

Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:03 pm
Technical Sergeant

lap1964 wrote:
fingolfen wrote:

Lately there hasn't been so many "cerebro-rectal inversions" , as we did come down hard on some people . So now in the main most follow the rules . :)

LES

Yeah, honestly it's been pretty nice. A lot of good discussion, a lot of good sharing of minis and information... completely atypical of Facebook in general... :D

Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:45 pm
Technical Sergeant

Unfortunately, the difference between Facebook and most malware is that the malware is less less pervasive. I feel like I need a separate and isolated system with its own email address and no other software to use FB without them infecting every virtual and actual relationship I have.

Even then, they’ll somehow get my address, apply an algorithm, and I’ll get a message on my regular email about the fake me asking if I want to be friends. It’s CREEPY!

Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:58 pm
Technical Sergeant

UndergroundWarren wrote:
Unfortunately, the difference between Facebook and most malware is that the malware is less less pervasive. I feel like I need a separate and isolated system with its own email address and no other software to use FB without them infecting every virtual and actual relationship I have.

Even then, they’ll somehow get my address, apply an algorithm, and I’ll get a message on my regular email about the fake me asking if I want to be friends. It’s CREEPY!

Never had that problem... you sure you don't have some other malicious code on your machine???

Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:41 pm
Technical Sergeant

Hehe, you just think you don’t have that problem. Unless you have no “friends” or haven’t shared the email you gave FB or the IP address you use isn’t used by others on FB, there is a “shadow file” with information mined from OTHER PEOPLE’S systems.

You may not have given FB info, but it gets it anyway and by the user agreement the second it gets it, it becomes THEIRS.

Anything in anyone’s contact records or email systems about you is likely already in their servers.

Last edited by UndergroundWarren on Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next