View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
I'm allergic to super glue -- what can I use now? 
Private First Class

Sooo I just spent the past 3+ weeks feeling like I had a cold. It turns out it was the fumes from the new liquid super glue that was doing it to me.

What glues can I use now that are strong enough to glue metal miniatures to bases? Is PVA/Elmer's strong enough?

I'd like to continue with this hobby but I use the CA glue so much I have no clue how to survive without it.

And PSA for everyone else... if after building miniatures you feel runny nose, cough, or allergy/flu-like symptoms it could from the super glue fumes. I guess 5% of people develop a sensitivity to it overtime so don't make yourself miserable for a month like I just did!

Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:31 pm
Technical Sergeant

I wear a respirator style mask when gluing lots and I set things out in the garage to dry.

Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:11 am
Profile WWW
Private First Class

PVA/Elmer's glue will probably not work... the dry time is too slow AND I'm gonna bet it won't adhere to metal very well either.

Have they (the allergist, I'm assuming you saw an allergist) figured out specifically what it is in the fumes that causes issues? It could be a simple brand swap, or finding a low odor brand that may help. You could, as snafu suggested, try a mask or improve the ventilation where you work. Another option is if the weather is nice, try working outside. My final suggesting is you could try going the all plastic/resin route over metal, as long as plastic glue doesn't bother you.

Hope some of those suggestions help...
-WuhSawBe-

Into Historical Wargaming and live in the Kansas City area?
JOCO Historical Wargamers

Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:41 pm
Profile WWW
Sergeant

If you can live with the longer setting time you can try epoxy. It'll definitely hold, even better than super glue. You can also check out your local DIY store. The staff there may have some suggestions.

Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:58 pm
Staff Sergeant

I have used PVA to glue metal minis to wooden bases for years - works fine - just leave em to dry overnight
If you drop them the figure will come off the base rather than break and you can easily rebase

Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:05 pm
Sergeant

I'm not allergic to most super glues, but I'm extremely allergic to the accelerators. One whiff of those and I start sneezing and my nose starts running like a faucet (literally). This makes gluing fiddly parts very difficult. I usually end up using some of that tacky clay stuff to hold the parts in place while the 5 minute epoxy sets.

Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:33 pm
Technical Sergeant

I have used an adhesive called E 6000 which was recommended to me to attach my patches and ribbons into my shadowbox. I have successfully used it to attach pewter 28mm miniatures to their bases. It hardens slowly so you can adjust position.

Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]