View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
[boltaction.net] Armies of Ethiopia 
Sergeant

it's a shame that in the Duel in the Sun campaign book there is nothing about :
East Africa
the Irakian revolt
Lebanon - Syria

and nothing about The French who were involved on both sides , except something about Free French in Koufra ( and i'm anxious ) ...

may be a future early war middle-east/east africa theater book ?

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:46 am
Private

Just came across these copplestone castings Somalis. In theory I already have enough minis for this army...

Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:58 pm
Private

Cbax, did Warlord Games ever get in touch with you? Now that the new Aussie list is official maybe they may be more open to a WW2 list for Ethiopia.

Sun May 01, 2016 3:15 am
Captain

they haven't, I might revamp it for V2 and present it to them then.

Tue May 10, 2016 10:27 pm
Profile WWW
Private

mrtn wrote:
Ooh, very cool! 8-)

Some questions/typos while I read it through...

Cost of the Red Cross Volunteer?
What does the rule Mixed Quality do on the Tribesmen? What's the idea behind their cost? (normal cost for Regulars despite not having rifles, but the extra soldiers cost just 4 points?)
Spelling bee: "Spears of Hand Weapons" copy/pasted all over the place. ;)
Upgrading the Fiat 3000A to 3000B costs +305 points...
"They Came from Above": The 5-6 Ethiopian result talks about Italian troops?

Looks like great work!

Am I downloading the wrong version of the PDF? As far as I can tell the points costs of most of the non-regular Ethiopians is still off for either the initial unit or the add on men.

Tue May 31, 2016 5:25 pm
Private

So reading through the list again, here are my questions:

Should Tribesmen be +10 pts for each additional man?

How does the Mixed Quality Rule apply to units that start as regulars?

Should the 5 man Provincial Squad be 20 pts?

The Levy Squad is the same price as shirkers with rifles. On the other hand a 1 point/man levy Levy Squad is a recuctio ad absurdum of Bolt Action's simplistic point system. Also it's possible that all the Ethiopians with hand weapons are a point too cheap if compared to unarmed Soviets.

Ethiopian Mortars and Artillery are supposed to have no options for spotters?

What is the price of the Red Cross Volunteer? Maybe 25 +10 per aid as Regular?

Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:26 am
Private

Ethiopians, are you tired of being outgunned by your opponents? Debating whether the proper way of dealing with the Tiger Fear rules is an army consisting of nothing but shirkers?

Take a look at these handsome fellows:

They volunteered for the Kagnew Battalion to help defend South Korea from the Communists and the US gave them surplus WW2 uniforms equipment to wear and surplus weapons to fight with.

Not only could you deploy bazookas and recoiless rifles but Tiger Fear isn't an issue if you are being supported by the 7th Infantry Division's Pershings! And think of all the air strikes you could call down on enemy positions.

Sign up today! The only difficulty is that 28mm sculptors seem to have a thing for putting gaiters on every US soldier.

Oh, and trying to teach US Generals how to dance..

Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:09 pm
Sergeant

Quote:
Active 1951–1965

Ummm not in ww2?

Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:33 pm
Private

Taggerung wrote:
Quote:
Active 1951–1965

Ummm not in ww2?

Yeah, I mentioned that they were defending South Korea but the invasion of Ethiopia in 1936 isn't part of WW2 either.

Since these guys were given WW2 equipment they actually fit in better with Bolt Action than the Ethiopians defending their own country.

Is it just me or are the ads on this forum super terrible now? Constantly loosing focus while I type.

Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:41 pm
First Sergeant

lowlylowlycook wrote:
but the invasion of Ethiopia in 1936 isn't part of WW2 either.

That is a matter of perspective. WWII has no real defined start. Yes, I know the western view is the invasion of Poland but really the warold war began at the end of 1941 with the entry of Japan and the US into the war. Up until then there were a series of localised conflicts often involving nations already at war but very distinct in terms of geography. The Italian war in Ethiopia was just one of those earlier conflicts in the rise of totalitarianism (in its various guises) and can fairly be seen as part of the prelude - part of the play but not one of the main acts.

While usually treated as entirely distinct, I would include the Spanish Civil War (a classic war by proxy with increasingly actual military interventions), the second Sino-Japanese War, the Italian invasion of Albania, Khalkin Gol, The Winter War and Anglo-Iraqi War. Until 1942 you basically had Germany invading Poland, Germany invading Denmark and Norway, Germany invading France and the Low Countries, the Air War with Britain, a British-Italian War in Africa (later with intervention from other powers), Italian invasion of Greece, the Vichy-British conflict in the middle-east, German conquest of the Balkans and then the invasion of the Soviet Union. All of these were very of reasonably distinct conflicts, albeit increasingly becoming part of a greater war.

Only at the very end of '41 did the war become global. And it ended in '45. That is without question.

Fallen in die Hölle - German Airborne on Crete
Tatou! Tatou! - Maori Bn in Greece and Crete, Ka Mate! Ka Mate! -Maori Bn in North Africa
Ritterlich im Krieg - 1942 Afrika Korps

Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:27 pm
Sergeant

UberGruber wrote:
lowlylowlycook wrote:
but the invasion of Ethiopia in 1936 isn't part of WW2 either.

That is a matter of perspective. WWII has no real defined start. Yes, I know the western view is the invasion of Poland but really the warold war began at the end of 1941 with the entry of Japan and the US into the war. Up until then there were a series of localised conflicts often involving nations already at war but very distinct in terms of geography. The Italian war in Ethiopia was just one of those earlier conflicts in the rise of totalitarianism (in its various guises) and can fairly be seen as part of the prelude - part of the play but not one of the main acts.

While usually treated as entirely distinct, I would include the Spanish Civil War (a classic war by proxy with increasingly actual military interventions), the second Sino-Japanese War, the Italian invasion of Albania, Khalkin Gol, The Winter War and Anglo-Iraqi War. Until 1942 you basically had Germany invading Poland, Germany invading Denmark and Norway, Germany invading France and the Low Countries, the Air War with Britain, a British-Italian War in Africa (later with intervention from other powers), Italian invasion of Greece, the Vichy-British conflict in the middle-east, German conquest of the Balkans and then the invasion of the Soviet Union. All of these were very of reasonably distinct conflicts, albeit increasingly becoming part of a greater war.

Only at the very end of '41 did the war become global. And it ended in '45. That is without question.

This is my perspective too :)

ww2 has a murky start date depending on the preferred starting event like you posted; but ww2 definitely has a clear defined end date of 1945.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:10 pm
Private

I just wish Warlord Games would accept this list as official. It's nearly as bad for the Chinese lists as since it is not part of a campaign book it is not considered by some tournaments legal. I know CBAX was talking about revamping the Ethiopian list to resubmitting it. Any word if he has been working on it? I did hear it was allowed for an Australian tournament.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:40 am
Private

What have people used for Ethiopian mortar teams? I was thinking of just getting some Warlord Italians in sun hats but their team is wearing too much gear to pass off as Ethiopians, IMO.

Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3