View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Saga Tournament in Support of Wounded Warrior 
Private

All,
I-95 Gamers will be hosting a Saga tournament at Huzzah Hobbies just outside Leesburg, Virginia on 30 March 2013. Entry fee is $10 with $5 going directly to WWPD's Wounded Warrior initiative. The other $5 will go toward prize support. The format will be three 2-hour rounds with 6-point armies and Heroes of the Viking Age are allowed. All armies from published books and Skraelings are welcome. Scenarios will come from the books and may include a new scenario from Eric Lauterbach if we can play test it just a bit more. We will play a fourth round tie breaker if necessary. Registration will open at 10:00 on the day of the event and the first round begins at 11:00AM so we should be done by about 6:00PM. We should be able to accommodate 20-22 players. Please sign up beforehand by either registering with Chris at Huzzah, or myself at joemoore78@aol.com. Hope to see you there!
-Joe

Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:27 pm
First Sergeant

Sounds like a great idea. Good luck and I hope the players have a good time. All in a good cause!

Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:38 pm
First Sergeant

Sounds great, please mark me down (I also sent an email to Joe)

http://lairoftheubergeek.blogspot.com/

Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:47 pm
Profile WWW
Corporal

I am all in Eric. Brining a new army for this one. Saxons..probably led by Athelstan.

My Wargaming Blog http://tomahawkcampaign.blogspot.com/
The Game Table Game Cafe Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Game ... 321?ref=hl

Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:19 pm
Profile WWW
First Sergeant

Joe Moore is in charge of this one.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:51 pm
Private

jmilesr wrote:
Sounds great, please mark me down (I also sent an email to Joe)

Got you in. see you Saturday,
-Joe

Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:22 pm
Private

All,
We had a discussion at Huzzah last weekend while we were setting up for the Flames of War Early War tournament. This Saga event will see unlimited re-rolls of dice. For each re-roll, you pay one dollar. No re-roll need be pre-purchased, just announce to the tournament game master you are executing them and the number you wish to roll. We will keep a running total of your purchases. Further, Chris will also allow the same rule for any game played at Huzzah this weekend. If you are playing in the store, you may invoke the same re-roll privilege. I believe Steve will be invoking the same rule at Game Vault this weekend as well. It all goes for a good cause.
-Joe

Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:31 pm
Private

keegantdad wrote:
I am all in Eric. Brining a new army for this one. Saxons..probably led by Athelstan.

Tom,
Have you added to the list. See you Saturday!
-Joe

Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:32 pm
Captain

Big thanks for running this Joe.

We raised a little over $220 at the event! Congrats to Gordon on winning, and thanks to Bob for my ass-whipping in round one =) I'll get some pictures up tomorrow.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:14 am
Private

All,
Had a great day raising money for WWP! $220.00 and some coins were in the pot at the point we left around 6:00PM. We had eight players. The order of finish was Gordon Chace (Scots), first, Bob Chalmers (Scots), Jeff Wiltrout (Skraeling), Frank Popecki (Byzantine), Scott Simoneau (Breton), John Brader (Viking), Tom Keegan (Anglo-Saxon), and Jay Powell (Saxon). I filled in for Jay for the last round with Irish and lost to Tom. The scenarios were Clash of Warlords, then Sacred Ground, and finally The Challenge. Lots of photos were taken that I am sure will show up on line. Thanks all!
-Joe

Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:34 am
First Sergeant

Nice going guys. Well done on the fundraising. Hope you can get some AAR's / thoughts / pictures up on the forum!

Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:27 am
Private

piperider361 wrote:
...and thanks to Bob for my ass-whipping in round one =)

You're welcome! :lol:

Had a great time and was glad to contribute to a worthy cause.

Still kicking myself a bit for losing the last round - given that my Scots Hero stole nearly a third of his army before the battle even started, it's pretty amazing I found a way to lose! Too aggressive I think.

Our starting builds were nearly identical - he had 1 unit of 12 Hearthguards with a banner, and I did too. He had two units of 12 warriors each, I had two units of 8 warriors each plus the hero warlord. By getting the lucky 6 to start the game, I stole one of his 12-warrior units, meaning he was down to 1x12-H, 1x12-W, and a normal warlord, and I had 1x12-H, 1x12-W, AND 2x 8-W plus a hero who gave nearby units +2 attack dice.

Terrain played no role in any of my three games (other than as a victory condition in Sacred Ground) - maybe I should have wanted some cover in game 1, but I was happy enough with the occasional hill to block some LOS. My second and third round games featured zero missile troops on either side, so...

Attachments:
File comment: How did I lose this again? Round bases are mine - round black are the unit I stole.
038-smaller.jpg
038-smaller.jpg
038-smaller.jpg [ 108.42 KiB | Viewed 2642 times ]
Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:58 pm
Technical Sergeant

Nice! Were you using the Banners special rule? If so how it it go for you?

Mike

My blog!
http://www.scarybiscuitsstudios.com
-.-- --- ..- / -.-. .- -. - / ... - --- .--. / - .... . / ... .. --. -. .- .-.. .-.-.-

Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:25 am
Profile WWW
Private

ScaryBiscuits wrote:
Nice! Were you using the Banners special rule? If so how it it go for you?

Yes - we both were, so our hearthguard units "only" did 22 dice on the attack!

My thinking going in was that the ability to dump a pile of Saga dice on activations and march a nasty "phalanx" across the board would be useful, and maybe necessary in an army that has no real missile and little mounted capability. I still believe that's right, although in the particular matchups it was a mixed bag.

I think it worked its best against Scott's Bretons in round 1, where I was able to go after his main body of horse skirmishers early, and would otherwise have had trouble engaging them anywhere.

Not too useful in the "Sacred Ground" scenario where the battle could come to them anyway. Doubly so since Frank's Byzantine build had no missile troops.

Not very useful in the final "mirror-match" because mobility was even, and really the better play would have been to keep my forces together and just maximize dice.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:39 pm
First Sergeant

Thx to Bob for giving us a summary of his games. Looked like fun.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]