View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
The Division 
Private First Class

Tom Clancey's The Division - Anyone else jumped on the hype train? What do you guys think, good/bad? Yay/nay?

/Discuss

Into Historical Wargaming and live in the Kansas City area?
JOCO Historical Wargamers

Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:47 pm
Profile WWW
Captain

I was in the alpha and beta, loved the hell out of it. I had it on preorder since forever. On xbox we have a large group that I typically run with for most big games, on PS4 front Steven and his crew will be there.

I see a lot of the complaints from /r/thedivision, but I also understand solutions to them are coming. So I expect great things from this game and I fully expect it to take what everyone has learned from Destiny and expand upon it.

Will it be GOTY? Probably not, but it is a strong contender for sure. I think it will pave the next path forward for shooter/rpg hybrids, but one needs to keep in mind it is a true MMORPG that just has shooter elements, so a lot of typical shooter mechanics will not be there as they dont translate to MMORPG activities. Once people can divorce themselves of this mindset, I feel the game will excel.

Twitch: Darqueling

Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:58 pm
Private First Class

Darqueling wrote:
I think it will pave the next path forward for shooter/rpg hybrids, but one needs to keep in mind it is a true MMORPG that just has shooter elements, so a lot of typical shooter mechanics will not be there as they dont translate to MMORPG activities. Once people can divorce themselves of this mindset, I feel the game will excel.

Can you elaborate at all? I must admit, I'm on the fence about preordering it. I could easily pushed over. I'm looking for something that will keep me engaged, and I think the MMO style elements may be enough to do so...

Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:56 am
Profile WWW
Captain

So, I can only give examples, just some good discussion probably would come from reading different threads on /r/thedivision or watching some youtube examples from this guy: https://www.youtube.com/user/MarcoStyleNL

But here we go with what I can think of.

So a lot of people complained about a lack or crouch, or how it took a half mag to drop an npc, how silencers give a threat reduction % that seemed meaningless, etc.

Well they take these things from a Call of Duty mindset instead of a World of Warcraft mindset. The game uses cover for many things beyond granting you protection. In COD, crouching allows you to sneak around, or be a smaller target, etc. but this isnt a traditional shooter, in a MMORPG mindset, crouching does nothing for you nor does it have a place in the game. Cover for example is more than a bullet blocking exercise, cover grants bonuses to stability, damage reduction, threat mitigation (think hunters and rogues in WoW vs a Warrior), etc. So where most people think they should be able to crouch or go prone to gain weapon stability, or that they can run out into the open and just twitch kill everything, they are mistaken. The cover system gives you the bonuses and must be utilized. As for taking half a mag (or more) to kill an NPC, most people again are trying to link this in their mind to Call of Duty or Battlefield where they go for a realistic-sim model of a headshot or 2 hits to the chest will stop someone, well they need to think more on the RPG level of Warcraft, that your fireball will do x damage out of y total health. So instead of swords and fireballs you are using modern or post modern weapons, yes your 10 headshots finally killed someone, but it took 30 rounds to drop some other boss due to armor or buffs, this is because you can equate headshots to critical hits for your spells in an MMO sense.

All in all, it is a different mindset one must adopt, a MMORPG with a shooter skin on top that is modified to fit in both worlds.

Hopefully this helped, currently at work so I can only do so much.

Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:29 pm
Private First Class

That's definitely helpful! Luckily, I had heard some of those complaints already, and none of those really bothered me, I mostly just wanted to make sure there were not any extra complaints I had NOT heard of before. After how Star Wars Battlefront turned out, I make it a habit of checking out complaints before I buy.

Definitely gonna preorder it! Thanks for help!

-WuhSawBe-

Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:10 am
Profile WWW
Private First Class

The beta weekend came and went, and it.. was... FUN!

Here's my little review for those that may be on the fence like I was... http://www.nerdsvsninjas.blogspot.com/2016/02/my-time-in-beta-of-division-xbox.html

TL;DR - It was fun, BUY it! Feel free to hit me up on Xbox if you want a medic!

Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:47 pm
Profile WWW
Captain

My gamertag is in my sig, send me an invite some time.

Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:36 pm
Staff Sergeant

Just got level 30 over the weekend on the PS4. My son and I ran some of the daily missions and the patrolled the Dark Zone and picked up some good gear. Unfortunately, I am 6 hours ahead being stationed in Germany, but if you all want to run some daily mission are wreck havoc in the dark zone give me shout.

My PS4 tag is PanzerScott

My son is StormTitann

Image Image Image

Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]