View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Grens counterattack Maori 
Sergeant

My last game for the campaign, God save the King!

D coy 28(Maori Bn) – Cassino - 1180

Company HQ
2 Full Rifle Platoons
3 Section Mortar Platoon
2 Section MMG Platoon
Carrier platoon with .50cals
3 Shermans

Grenadierkompanie – V3 Forces - 1185

Company HQ – with Panzerfaust & Schreck Team
2 Full Gren Platoons – with command Fausts
3 Section Mortar Platoon
2 Section HMG Platoon
5 Panzer IV H

He attached the schreck to one of the Gren platoons.

We rolled up free for all, so no sneaky night movingness for me this game. And I lost the roll for attacker, so we decided that this battle is the next day with the German counter attack to get the hill back.

The map had me holding the high ground, with a forest to my left, a village central and some rocky outcrops on my left.

Deployment
I set up with my mortars central, the HMGs and rifle platoon 2 covering the objective on my left flank, and platoon 1 with the shermans and carriers advancing through the rocks on my right.

The Germans put mortars in the middle with HMGs covering my advance on the right, and two platoons of Grens on my left, with the Panzer IV Hs on my right opposite my shermans.

Turn 1:

My carriers moved up with their recce move keeping out of sight of everything, heading for the mortars.

German:
Both Gren platoons moved up through the forest, while the HMGs and mortars both failed to dig in! The Panzer IVs left two behind to guard while the platoon commander and two others moved up the my right flank.
Maori:
My carriers poked their heads out to draw LOS on the mortars, while keeping out of sight of the rest. The shermans moved to get some long range shots on the advancing Germans while staying concealed behind rocks and whatnot while my rifle platoon moved up too, staying out of sight of everything. After my MMGS and mortars had dug in successfully they bombarded the HMGs and mortars, the Vickers pinned the HMGs. While the mortars killed a mortar team. The shermans three shots managed two hits! And I bailed one panzer! The carriers then chimed in and picked off two more mortar teams.

Casualties:
Germans:
Mortar Platoon
- 3 Mortar team

Maori:
- None

Turn 2:

German:
The HMGs unpinned and dug in, while the mortars failed to unpin. The Grens again advanced through the forest, while the advancing panzers remounted and needing 7’s to hit the shermans moved into short range and fired, hitting once and bailing a Sherman. While the mortars direct fired on the carriers but couldn’t hit anything.

Maori:
My carriers didn’t move, while my rifles dug in and waited for the shermans to catch up. The shermans stayed still and let rip at the the panzers and blew up two of them! While the carriers picked off two more mortars who failed motivation and ran off.

Casualties:
Germans:
Mortar platoon
- Destroyed!
Panzer IVs
- 2 Panzer IV H

Maori:
- None

Turn 3:
Germans:
The Grens moved to the edge of the forest towards my MMGs (I made sure my MMGs were 17” away from the forest :D), while the panzer IV commander moved back to get in command with the rest of his platoon. The mortars unpinned and dug in. Then dropped a bombardment on my mortars pinning them but not killing anyone.
Maori:
I kind of got my blood up a bit this turn, my rifles advanced out of their scrapes and advanced on the HMGs while my shermans drove around to draw LOS on the panzers, Blowing up one and bailing another, but leaving them dangerously exposed. My mortars smoked the HMGS, while the carriers and rifles managed to hit and kill another 2 teams. His Panzers and HMGs both passed motivation. My MMGs then opened up with two guns on each Gren platoon, Hitting with a few and killing two stands from one, and one from the other.
Casualties:
Germans:
Platoon 1
- 2 Rifle/MG stands
Platoon 2
- 1 Rifle/MG stand
HMG platoon
- 3 HMG teams
Mortar platoon
- Destroyed!
Panzer IVs
- 3 Panzer IV H

Maori:
- None

Turn 4:

Germans:
With his panzer remounting, HMGs unpinning and both Gren platoons advancing it was all on across the front. The two remaining panzers opened up and destroyed two of my shermans! The commander passing his motivation test to stay. The one HMG left opened up on my rifles and killed a stand. While his Gren platoons both fired on my MMGs and and killed two stands and pinned them down! Then they charged, I managed to pin one platoon, and kill a couple of stands, but the other got in and wiped my MMGs out. The Panzer IVs then stormtroopered out of sight of my Sherman.
Maori:
My mortars dropped a bombardment on the Gren platoons, killing a couple of stands from each, while my rifle platoon 2 moved out to assault the Grens while platoon 1 moved to assault the HMG platoon and my Sherman moved back out of sight and my carriers ran off to grab an objective on my far left. With shooting not pinning the HMGs I still charged in, just made it through defensive fire losing another two stands in the process and then spanked the HMG platoon good! And consolidated as far away from the panzers as I could. My platoon 2 then charged the larger of the two Gren platoons and beat them solidly in assault losing two stands while wiping the Germans out.

With that the Germans failed motivation and pulled out of their counterattack! So 5-2 to the NZers!

That game didn’t go very well for my mate, his personal morale broke quite early this time round and he’d pretty much given up by turn 3 unfortunately, for our next game we’re going to swap sides so he’ll run my cuzzie bros and I’ll take the boche!

I'd like to sign off with a huge thank you to Steven and Arran and also anyone else who's been involved in orginasing this, it's been great fun!

Final Casualties:
Germans:
Platoon 1
- 5 Rifle/MG stands
Platoon 2
- Destroyed!
HMG platoon
- Destroyed!
Mortar platoon
- Destroyed!
Panzer IVs
- 3 Panzer IV H