View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
More Cornish in Essex! 
Sergeant

As we had time we snuk another game in before my mate retreated to his man cave for Xbox and other vices ;p

We kept the lists the same and as we are both exceedingly lazy we kept the board the same. I managed to convince him to roll on the mission list this time, and we rolled………free for all! We had a bit of a laugh about that then re-rolled it and got No retreat. I elected to do a night attack and we set up, I was attacking from what was my left flank in the last game, so advancing through forests to assault a rocky hilly area.
Of course I put my objective as far forward as I could, while he put his as far back as he could, both on my right flank.

5th Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry - British Rifle coy V3 Forces

Company HQ
2 Full Rifle Platoons
3 Section Mortar Platoon
2 Section MMG Platoon
1 Carrier Section, with .50 cal MGs

Grenadierkompanie – V3 Forces

Company HQ – with Mortar Section & Schreck Team
2 Full Gren Platoons
2 Section Mortar Platoon
1 Section HMG Platoon
He attached the mortars to the mortar platoon and the schreck to his Gren platoon 1.

Deployment

He put one Gren platoon and his mortars in reserve, with the other Grens and his 2iC on the forward objective, his CO stayed back on the second objective to direct his reserves. He then put his HMGs in ambush.

I set everybody up as far forward as I could. Nice and simple.

Turn 1:

Recce move:
I moved my carriers up my left flank as far as they’d go.
Spearhead move:
Both rifle platoons and officers advanced.

Brits:
Again advances across the board, with even my mortars and MMGs moving up. No shooting on account of the darkness.

German:
With a roll of a one there’s no reserves yet for Jerry.

Casualties:
German:
- None

Brits:
- None

Turn 2:
Brits:
Again advances across the front, with my carriers now in the German lines and the rifle platoons not far behind.

German:
This turn one reserve platoon arrives! And the mortars move on to the battlefield. The Germans can hear noises in the darkness but still can’t see anything.

Casualties:
Germans:
- None

Brits:
- None

Turn 3:
Brits:
My carriers continue their move up my left flank, while my mortars dig in. Rifle platoons and MMGs continue the advance into German territory. I roll for vision and am able to make out the German platoon on the objective, but decide to hold my fire.

Germans:
With a three dice roll he was always getting his next platoon on and the Grens do indeed arrive, dawn however, does not break this turn. The Grens move up while the mortars dig in, with a 1 for his vision the forward Gren platoon can’t see the Cornishmen almost on top of them!

Casualties:
Germans:
- None

Brits:
- None

Turn 4:
Brits:
The carriers scoot up even more and begin their hook around the German defences. While both rifle platoons move into assault range and the MMGs move up too. Being right on top of the Germans means no rolls needed except for the observers, and they can see beautifully. One bombardment, 4 MMGs and 2 Rifle platoons later there’s a smoking crater where most of a German platoon used to be, I killed all but 1 of the German platoon and even with the 2iCs re roll they ran! Leaving me the objective.

German:
Dawn breaks! And some HMGs pop close to my forward troops, contesting the objective. The remaining Grens keep moving up, while the mortars turn their attention to my carriers. Direct firing them to death! Yes, I rolled three 1s for my armour then he passed firepower. The HMGs opened up on one of my Rifle platoons, and gutted them, 12 hits, and I failed five saves, I do pass motivation with the COs help though.

Casualties:
Germans:

Gren platoon 1
- Destroyed!

Brits:
Carrier platoon
- Destroyed!
Rifle platoon 2
- PIAT team
- 4 Rifle/MG teams

Turn 5:

Brits:
My Rifle platoon one advances on the German HMGs, while platoon two digs in. My mortars bombard and pin his Grens, while my MMG platoon puts 24 shots into his HMGs. Wiping them out!

Germans:
His Grens unpin and move up to contest the objective, while his mortars drop a bombardment on my Rifle platoon in the open, killing two stands. His Grens then charge my Rifles killing another stand on the way in, but he hadn’t realised I had a couple of MMGs in the 8” bubble, and he gets thrown back just out of range of the objective.

So we finished there with a 5-2 to the Brits! There was a bit of luck both ways here, what with my three failed saves then my nuking of his platoon. He may be losing every game at the moment, but he’s in good spirits, I may have a convert here!

Final Casualties:

Germans:

Gren platoon 1
- Destroyed!
HMG platoon
- Destroyed!

Brits:
Carrier platoon
- Destroyed
Platoon 2
- PIAT team
- 2 Rifle/MG teams