View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Cornish assault in Essex! 
Sergeant

Well I finally managed to nag my mate into leaving his cave and come over for a game, we had to play inside the house though as it’s pretty cold down here at the moment.

I changed my list up and am running CT Brit rifles from V3, it does mean I get more guys, but should hopefully balance with being easier to hit and a bit harder for me to do stuff. And being of Cornish descent myself thought I’d roll with the Cornishmen.

5th Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry - British Rifle coy V3 Forces

Company HQ
2 Full Rifle Platoons
3 Section Mortar Platoon
2 Section MMG Platoon
1 Carrier Section, with .50 cal MGs

Grenadierkompanie – V3 Forces

Company HQ – with Mortar Section & Schreck Team
2 Full Gren Platoons
2 Section Mortar Platoon
1 Section HMG Platoon
He attached the mortars to the mortar platoon and the schreck to his HMG platoon.

I won the roll for attacker in the game, again. And my friend still only wants to play free for all at the moment.

Deployment

With the forests in the centre and left of the board, and a rocky, hilly area to our right we deployed for battle.
I put my MMG platoon on my right to cover the approaches through the rocky hills, while my mortars went central to be able to support everybody. One rifle platoon and the CO stayed with the mortars, while the 2nd platoon went up the middle with the carriers in support.
My mate put his Gren platoons on my left with his mortars and HMGs covering the objective on his left flank.

Turn 1:

Recce move:
I raced my carriers up the guts to threaten his HMG platoon.

Brits:
I tried to dig my mortars, MMGs and platoon 1 in, and failed miserably with all three! Platoon 2 advanced at the double, using the forest as some lovely cover, the carriers moved into range of the HMG platoon and opened fire with everything they had. 12 shots needing 5s and I got 3 hits, however my mate then failed two of his saves and both HMG teams bit the dust!

German:
He dug his mortars in while his grens doubled towards the tree line. In the shooting phase the mortar platoon bombarded my carriers but failed to range in! While his new Panzerschreck platoon moved into range of the carriers and fired, I failed the disengage roll and lost a carrier to the schreck.

Casualties:
Germans:
HMG platoon
- 2 HMG teams

Brits:
Carrier platoon
- 1 Carrier

Turn 2:
Brits:
I moved my MMG platoon across to support the rest of my backline troops, while platoon 2 moved to the edge of the forest, spotting the German mortars. My carriers moved a bit to get out of range of the schreck. In the shooting phase my mortars smoked his mortars, my rifle platoon was out of range of them though. The carriers opened up and managed to finish the HMG platoon off!

German:
He sends one gren platoon back to deal with my assault while the other presses on through the trees. His mortars then drop a bombardment on my mortars and managed to hit four stands, and I manage to fail three of the saves!

Casualties:
Germans:
HMG platoon
- Destroyed!

Brits:
Carrier platoon
- 1 Carrier
Mortar platoon
- 3 mortar teams

Turn 3:
Brits:
My carriers roll up to range with the mortars, but keeping out of their arc, while my rifles in the forest dig in! My backline rifles and mortars however both failed again, while my MMGs got into position. The carriers then open up with all they have and pick off three stands of mortars!

Germans:
My mate decides he doesn’t have enough troops to take my objectives so digs his Grens in on the tree line to stop my backliners from moving up. His Gren platoon 2 however moves into range of my platoon 2. His mortars direct fire on my rifle platoon, while his Grens join in, pinning and killing off three stands!

Casualties:
Germans:
HMG platoon
- Destroyed!
Mortar platoon
- 3 mortar teams

Brits:
Carrier platoon
- 1 Carrier
Mortar platoon
- 3 mortar teams
Rifle platoon 2
- PIAT team
- 2 Rifle/MG teams

Turn 4:
Brits:
My pinned rifle platoon fails to unpin, so I shoot at his Grens and manage to get one stand. While my carriers kill three more mortar teams, and they promptly fail motivation and run off! Leaving my carriers holding the objective! My mortars direct fire on the Germans in the trees and pick off a couple, while the MMGs let rip too and get one more.

German:
With not much to do my mate decides to charge my rifles, he gets one kills with shooting, and I get one kill with defensive fire but manage to throw his assault back!

Casualties:
Germans:

Gren platoon 1
- 3 Rifle/MG stands
Gren platoon 2
- 2 Rifle/MG stand
HMG platoon
- Destroyed!
Mortar platoon
- Destroyed!

Brits:
Carrier platoon
- 1 Carrier
Mortar platoon
- 3 mortar teams
Rifle platoon 2
- PIAT team
- 3 Rifle/MG teams

And with that a 6-1 to the Brits! My mate stuck it out and luckily he’s not getting too demoralised, he’s also picking the game up slowly but surely, I’m just hanging out for my tanks now, I think that will add to the game quite nicely. One more report to follow.

Final Casualties:

Germans:

Gren platoon 1
- 3 Rifle/MG stands
Gren platoon 2
- 2 Rifle/MG stand
HMG platoon
- Command team
- 2 HMG teams
- Panzerschreck team
Mortar platoon
- Command team