View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Maori attack! 
Sergeant

Right, so this is game two I played last night. Without wanting to drop spoilers on the two of you who read my posts, (Thanks mum ;P)this game was quite a bit closer than our last one :D

D coy 28(Maori Bn) – Cassino

Company HQ
2 Full Rifle Platoons
2 Section Mortar Platoon
1 Section MMG Platoon

Grenadierkompanie – V3 Forces

Company HQ – with Mortar Section & Schreck Team
2 Full Gren Platoons
2 Section Mortar Platoon
1 Section HMG Platoon
He attached the mortars to the mortar platoon and the schreck to one of the Gren platoons.

We played Free for all again, with me winning the roll for attacker this time.

Deployment:
We used the same table as last time, again because I’m lazy and it was set up, we did swap sides though.
A few Forests on my left flank, with a hill in the centre of the board and some small buildings on my right flank.

My mate set up with a more balanced deployment this time, one Gren platoon with HQ on each flank, with his HMGs holding down the centre and mortars in behind them. I decided to keep one rifle platoon back and just send one up on a flanking mission.

Turn 1:

Maori:
I dug in my mortars and defending rifle platoon while my MMGs moved to a better position covering my advance and keeping an eye on a direction that Jerry could come from. As my observers moved into good spotting positions my flanking rifle platoon doubled up to the village.

Germans:
He sent one gren platoon off to deal with my flanking force, I’d put these guys down last, so they were somewhat on their own out there. While the other moved up towards the village, his mortars smoked my platoon in the village, while his HMGs advanced too, keeping out of sight of my MMGs.

Casualties:

Germans:
- None

Maori:
- None

Turn 2:

Maori:
My rifle platoon moved into the buildings, while my flankers headed through the forests. My MMGs dug in, and my mortars bombarded his mortars, pinning and killing two stands!

Germans:
While his HMGs dug in, his gren platoons moved closer to my guys, although my flankers were too far inside the forest to be seen. They also passed stormtrooper! And his platoon moved into the village too. His mortars then bombarded mine and pinned them, but couldn’t pass firepower to kill any.

Casualties:

Germans:
Mortar platoon
- 2 mortar teams

Maori:
- None

Turn 3:

Maori:
My flanking force burst from the forest! Bayonets flashing in the sun, voices raised in war cries and haka! While my other rifle platoon stealthily moved through the village, closing in on the enemy.
With a smoke bombardment on his mortars, my rifle platoons opened fire. I just managed to pin both platoons, I got exactly five hits both times! And managed to kill two stands from each platoon, defensive fire from the Grens in the village managed to kill a PIAT team, but couldn’t stop the assault which wiped the platoon out and killed the German CO. While the noise from my other platoon must have alerted the Germans and they stopped the assault, killing three stands!

Germans:
His only Gren platoon chased the Maori back into the forest, while the mortars fired on the rifles in the village, pinning them but not killing anyone. While his HMGs fired at them too, but couldn’t get any hits! The Grens fired on, but couldn’t pin or kill anyone in my rifle platoon, my defensive fire, killed two stands! But couldn’t pin them! He then gutted my platoon, killing four stands, leaving the platoon commander and light mortar team plus my 2iC, who counter attacked, and killed 3 of the enemy! Leaving only the German 2iC left who counter attacked and killed my light mortar team. I then missed with both my attacks and he went for the kill on my platoon, but couldn’t make the roll. This round I managed to hit with one of my attacks, and finally killed the brave German.

Casualties:

Germans:
CO
- Destroyed!
2iC
- Destroyed!
Gren Platoon 1
- Destroyed!
Gren Platoon 2
- Destroyed
Mortar platoon
- 2 mortar teams

Maori:
Rifle platoon 1
- 1 PIAT team
Rifle Platoon 2
- PIAT team
- Light mortar team
- 6 Rifle/MG teams

Turn 4:

Maori:
I passed then removed my platoon commander, I didn’t want to give my mate any free points here! My Rifles moved up to assault the HMGs, with the mortars smoking them, and my fire not managing to kill any, but just getting enough to pin them I went ahead with the assault, He hit me four times, and I failed four saves! Even with those heavy losses I wiped them out.

And with no command left, the mortars withdrew to fight another day.

So another 6-1, but this could really have gone either way. There were a few rolls that if he’d made them he would have taken out my platoons earlier and the assaults were bloody. So the 6-1 result doesn’t quite convey how close this game was.

Final Casualties:

Germans:
CO
- Destroyed!
2iC
- Destroyed!
Gren Platoon 1
- Destroyed!
Gren Platoon 2
- Destroyed
Mortar platoon
- 2 mortar teams