View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 366 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Introduce yourself here! 
Private

Hi,

I'm Marc aka Tatters. Returned to wargaming after a 12 year hiatus (work/family/life etc got in the way) in 2012.

Really enjoying Flames of War but happily play other rules as well. My interests are mainly WW2, Cold War gone hot and Napoleonics.

I currently roll with Late War US & Germans. But also have 20mm Afghan British (2006+) & Taleban (plus some US), 6mm Russian & British Cold War and 15mm Napoleonic British.

I am resisting the urge to get into Early War but man those Kradschutzen look too tempting and am (unsuccessfully it has to be said) trying resist the pull of 15mm Vietnam and 15mm Cold War.

Like everyone I guess my lead pile is huge and awaiting painting!

I love reading other peoples experiences of the hobby so in order to give something back this year I decided to start my own blog. Very much a work in progress and something which is harder than it looks to do well! So if you're a blogger then hats off to you.

I live in the UK and attend a number of clubs when work doesn't get in the way. I've spent nearly over 14 years in the Army and this seems to have coloured my view of how I think games should run. I'm forever trying to apply real world tactics to my games, not always to great success though LOL.

Oh and I LOVE this forum. Full of nice people, no attitude and some great content. Oh by the way Steve, Luke & John your podcast is great and makes my painting sessions fly by!

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:47 am
Private

Hello all

My names Henri i live in essex near colchester. i work at my local LCE Colchester as well as a photographer when ever i get the time.
the periods i enjoy most are WW2, WW1, Ancients, and ECW
iv played GW warhammer fantasy for over 7-8 years whilst i was alot younger but grew bored of the constant changing and price hickes.
i have been playing 28mm WW2 at a couple of my dads friends for about 3 years as well as NAP, and many more.
i started playing 28mm WW2 at home with other friends but i have found that my table about 6ft long 3 ft deep isnt rally big enough to contend at the 28mm size.
so iv started looking into FOW and recently decided i needed a gift and bought the 3rd eddition rule book and turning tide with some british infantry and a churhcill platoon
hopefully turning up this week in the post.
and like most of you all my painting pile is huge ranging from romans throught to a load of 28mm panzergrenadiers that ill prob just dump on ebay.
but to be honest for a while ill be getting my FOW Grenadier Guard army up running then will go german for a differant side.
luckly two of my friends are going to play alongside me ones going 101 airborne and the other a german force so should be good at first.
i look forward to posting and chatting with you guys / girls.
cheers
PP

Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:09 pm
Corporal

Hi there,
San Diego

We moved to the US a little over 2 months ago, hopefully I will get round to a few events and meets some people.

I play Mainly FoW, but I did bring some Ancients with me as well, I could only bring so much over so not everything is here.

Looking forward to meeting people.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:34 pm
Private

Hello all
I've been lurking on this forum for a bit an thought is was about time i joined,so my names jim im from the midlands, UK,an i've been palying flames of war for about 8 months now with the germans in late war using armored panzer-grenadiers,an recently volksgrendiers an recon troops with polish para troops waiting in the wings

my local club (http://forum.redwarsoc.com/index.php) flames of war community as grown alot in the last 3 months with enough players for a friendly tourney

wargaming in the uk at redditch wargaming

http://www.redwarsoc.com/

Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:51 pm
Private

Hi dudes, Martin here from the west cost of Scotland.

I'm a newbie to war gaming, coming from a Scale Modelling background (mostly 1/35 armour) I wanted a bit more depth to my hobby, so Flames of War is right up my street, I've started building a US Airborne army.

I've also played some Fireball Forward too, which is a really cool set of rules also.

Anyway its a totally exciting hobby, I've definitely been bitten by the bug.

Also to the guys at WWPD the podcast is AWESOME!

Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:21 pm
Profile WWW
Private

I just relocated to D.C. from Hawaii. I have played FOW since 2003 and have accumulated about 50,000 pts. of Russian, German, American, Canadian, and British for Early, Mid and Late War. Also have Vietnam 11th ACR. I started hunting around for a place to play and found Empire and Eagles gone as well as a store at Potomic Mills gone. Finally, found the old Hobbycraft store at Frederick still open, but a pretty limited selection. Suggestions on where to play?

COL Glenn A. Goddard
Past President - Baghdad FOW Club

Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:22 am
First Sergeant

Empire and Eagles moved to just south of Alexandria City in Fairfax county. There is a store near BWI airport moving a few blocks closer to the airport.

If you live in VA, there is a nice store just a bit west of Fredricksburg on Rt3 & one out in Sterling Ashburn VA. The Potomac mills store was a branch & to my knowledge the main store is still out there in Chantilly.

Welcome to the DC area.

PS I also sent you a PM.

Edit. Sterling/ashburn/charlestown WV they are all so far west they run together.

Last edited by SECfootball on Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:01 pm
Captain

There's Huzzah Hobbies in Ashburn VA.

Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:38 am
Private

Thanks, guys. I will have to track them down and try them all out. Would be nice if some of these places would update thier info on the Battlefront site. Visited The Game Vault on Friday on my way down to NC. Look forward to the Wounded Warrior Day there on 30 MAR. Guess I will have to find out where the hell Ashburn is!

COL G-

Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:57 am
Private First Class

Hello,

I am Merlot, real name Jon. I live in Rugby, UK with my wife and two pet rats.

I've been wargaming since the early 90s, my first wargame was 40k but eventually I found the GW prices too steep around about 4th edition and mostly continued gaming with the Lord of the Rings range (via eBay) until i took up playing Flames of War in 2007 and brought my gaming group with me shortly there after.

I run gaming nights in my cellar, aka the "man cave", every Wednesday or Thursday (depending on people shifts). We also dabble in boardgames.

We've got a decent range of terrain for running western front and enough miniatures to run a good Market Garden Firestrom campaign. The current campaign is nearly a year old - we take our time...

Next big army project is an Italian tank force, so the desert looks like the next big terrain project to match!

My cousin and best man Al introduced me to the WWPD podcast and i've been listening to it while painting or doing the washing up ever since.

I also do a bit of PC gaming, currently a bit of Wargame European Escalation, Planetside 2, World of Tanks and Civ5. I'm also looking at Eve (gods help me).

So if you see a player online with the name "Merlot" it could well be me! Don't be afraid to say hi! Mention WWPD and i'll cover you for free!

Cheers!

Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:10 pm
Sergeant

Hi all, Im Jorge from Madrid-Spain.

A Wargaming Enthusiast, more of a gamer than a painter/modeller.

Have to say I love the WWPD podcast, their AAR and website... have been following it for a while and now I finally entered the forums.

You can follow my gaming blog here: http://vatsetisinforma.blogspot.com.es/

Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:03 pm
Private

Greetings. I'm in North Texas, long-time wargamer. I'm taking the plunge into SAGA and am in the process of painting my Vikings. Working pretty hard at it, These are the fastest paint jobs I've ever done and I should be playing by next week. Since my gamer's ADD is pretty bad I bought some Welsh too, just in case I need a quick faction change for a game I have yet to play. :roll: Also will be making the transition from Operation Squad WW2 to Bolt Action. Been lurking for a few months and I figured it was time to register.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:36 am
Private

HI all,

I'm Rob from Miami, FL

Been playing Flames for 5 years. Been listening to the show for awhile and finally getting around to joining the forum. I play mostly Late war Germans and Americans and attempting to pick up the soviet light tank horde for mid war. I also have played War or the Ring and 40k a long time back but now it's just FoW.

I'll be working in NYC over the summer so if anyone knows of any good games stores or they just want to grab a game please let me know. I don't know if I can go three months without rolling dice :/

Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:39 pm
First Sergeant

Hey Rob, where do you play/buy your stuff in Miami, I have to go other to the other coast for my wife's graduation at the end of the year and theres slim pickings over here in Orlando.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:52 pm
Private

@ArbatheHutt the name of the place is Sunshine Adventure Gaming. We have a good group of guys that play on Thursdays. The shop has a pretty awesome selection of stuff if you're willing to look through the huge wall yourself. The owner stocks everything but doesn't play the game so he doesn't exactly know what's hot and what's not. What's the scene like in Orlando? Do you guys have larger tournaments? I wouldn't mind driving up every once in a while.

http://sagmiami.com/ <- That's the shops website
http://splinterfaction.bigforumpro.com/f15-tournaments <- that's where we post events if it's not on the shops website. Don't ask why there are two sites it's a long story lol

Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:39 pm
First Sergeant

Well we do have the HMGS-South conventions here: RECON (Which is this weekend if you want to come) and HURRICON. But aside from that its pretty dead. At least compared to what I'm use to from my group up in VA. We do play as often as we can, but theres no set days and its only 4 of us, as far as I know. There might be people I don't know about. I know Kissimmee Coliseum of Comics does a FOW day the first Saturday of each month, so you could always shoot for that. Let me know when your coming and I can try and swing it if I don't have classes.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:48 pm
Private

Hey All,

My name is Josh and I have been a longtime reader and have been involved in Flames of War for about three years. I love painting the stuff up and really have a passion for using Flames of War in my history classroom.

I just started a blog that talks about this stuff, especially a Battle of the Bulge scenario that I am designing for my class. Please check it out!

http://historicalminis.tumblr.com/

Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:48 pm
Private

Hello All

My name is Ken and my main hobby has been scale modelling for many years. mostly aircraft and AFV. I dabbled a bit with GW but the prices are getting far too silly. I decided to try FOW, got a few plastic soldier company vehicles to make sure I could work in such a small scale and now I've just started to paint up Open Fire. Also have a growing interest in Napoleonic era.

Been lurking on here for a while and decided to sign up.

My model collection

Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:55 am
Profile WWW
Private

Hi,

my name is Claas and I am a 44 year old doctor from Berlin Germany. I have been listening to the podcast for over a year now. We got a pretty active FOW scene in Berlin centered mostly around the Battlefield Berlin store.

I own too much....

Russians (must be 10k points painted..) Italians (3k painted) Germans (all unpainted about 5k) French, US and Brits.

Tons of terrain. Looking forward to sharing some ideas etc.

Cheers
Claas

Fri May 03, 2013 8:49 pm
Private

Hey all, my name is Mike, nickname is Bear (got it it Iraq serving in Mosul) ... im recently honorably discharged fro the Army and starting a new life as a civilian, currently going to school on the GI bill and able to finally start my love and passion for miniature war gaming, when i was getting back into the hobby, nothing struck me more than flames of war, and that's what im currently working on. I run a British Armored company, starting an American paratrooper company, starting a German Armored company and currently running a German grenadier company .... i started with the awesome starter box and built off from there. I only played at a club once, looking for more in the New Jersey shore area and im still learning the rules. I used to play 40k Tau but those miniatures are collecting dust and im looking to get rid of them to support more FOW. Im 26 years old and married as well. Ive been into miniatures since my dad bought me my first bag of army men, so id say coherently 20 years, but jus started getting into war gaming 6 years ago and now have the time to actually get out and play.

look forward to making friends on here and any help.... ill post pictures of my work later on

Sat May 11, 2013 5:51 am
Private

Howdy,

My name is Paul and I am from Seattle. I started playing table top war games since the mid 80s....picked up Battletech in 85 and have been playing ever since. A few years back, I started dabbling in other games, now I play Dust Warfare, 40K, War Machine. I just picked up the Assault on Normandy Bolt Action box...which is what drew me to the forum. I'm really looking forward to delving into this new game. Oh....and I also just picked up the X-Wing Core set.

When not gaming, I am flying rockets (level 1 certified), building scale aircraft and hanging out with my wife and daughter.

Tue May 14, 2013 1:12 am
Private

Ken Jacobsen

50 years old; live in Fredericksburg

Married for 25 years, 3 kids in college (but still have enough money to buy minis!), 3 dogs - 2 Goldens, 1 Belgian Malinois.

When I'm not gaming, reading up on rules, tinkering with army lists, painting, etc., I'm either training for or participating in triathlons or MMA events. In my prior like I was a Naval Aviator, flying the mighty & venerable S-3 Viking (that's OK, I didn't know what it was either).

If you're ever in Fredericksburg on a Friday night, stop in at Game Vault. We're a pretty low key group, but be prepared for some good natured trash talk!

Tue May 14, 2013 6:00 pm
Private

James Brewerton

soon to be 40 year old Painter and gamer from Cheshire. I have seen links to this site on several blogs i follow and have popped along to check it out. I work night so while I am based in the UK you will find most of my post's occur in the small hours.
I love to paint wargames figures and am trying to get back into more gaming.

Painting Blog

Tue May 28, 2013 10:58 pm
Profile WWW
Private

Just recently got into flames of war after seeing it down in San Diego last year. I'm in Gig Harbor Wa, just got the starter set and have been painting it up. I really love this website, especially the battle reports! It makes the game look like a lot of fun.

Wed May 29, 2013 3:28 am
Private

Nathan Ward
38 years old and gaming for a good percentage of that. Have built a lot of projects and sold pretty much all of them. Flames of War has been a constant in the last 6 years or so, playing mostly Germans and Soviets. I'm currently using the rules for the Yom Kippur War, and expanding my project out to 1967. Our gaming group is just getting into Bolt Action and I've got Fallshirmjager and Brits awaiting their turn. I've also got a 28mm ECW project sitting in the cabinet looking at me. Before they see a brush though, I'm planning another untouched FoW army - Indians in Burma 1945 - which will morph into a 1965 army to take on Pakistan!
I'm a teacher and dad of three girls in my real life, which keeps interfering with my obsession with little bits of molded lead, but I seem to still get plenty done, even if my blog http://natholeonsempires.blogspot.co.nz/ doesn't reflect that (I paint, play and post with my free time, and the last is the least important one).
I've been reading WWPD battle reports for a couple of years now, so it was about time I joined the forum I think!
Cheers
Nate

Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 366 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next