View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 366 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Introduce yourself here! 
Private

Hello WWPD'ers

Dave, from Scotland/Germany. Been playing with toy soldiers for over 30 years now, and i sometimes paint them..

Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:59 pm
Private

Name is Seth, from Florida, I played Flames back during 1st edition (well I should say I played a couple games) sold my models due to money troubles, well I am coming back to the game, as I love gaming espically when it deals with real history, I use to play Seakrieg (great game for Navy buffs) which I gave up on cause no one plays it. Anyway, I am bringing my son with me into the game (he is a die hard 40k gamer, but is interested in FoW)

Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:26 am
Private

A fellow gamer from Canada. Somewhat new to Flames of War but has become my new love. Have been playing warhammer fantasy for over 15 years and play other games from warmahordes to infinity.

Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:48 pm
Corporal

Hi, I am Adam.

I am from outside of Philadelphia, PA. Long time lurker, finally registered for the forums after going to Fall-In and attending the live podcast. I am working on a German Panzer company. Thinking about starting American paratroopers. Just have to say, love the podcast and site/forum/network.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:27 am
Major

Thanks Adam! Welcome aboard :)

Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:20 am
Private

Another who attended Fall In and the live podcast. I have a lot of miniatures from many games and genres. I always wanted to try Flames of War and got two of the Open Fire boxed sets (won one in a raffle).

Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:29 am
Private

My name is Brendon living in Belleville, Ontario at the moment, employed in the Canadian Forces for 19 years, been playing FOW for over a year now. We have a small group here which got smaller last posting season.

I used to play a lot of modern micro armour ( I have a complete Soviet Tank Division at 1:1). Played a lot of D&D until WOTC took over. I also play World of Tanks but not enough to be in a clan.

Been a lurker on these forums for quite awhile. Mostly I play Germans (have about 6000 points worth) most proud of my Afrika Korps. I also have a Strelkovy mob of about 2000 points worth of russians for mid war. New resolution is to not start another country....we shall see....I finally passed the point where I have more at minimum basecoated/assembled then waiting in packages.

I have been listening to the podcast lately and catch myself laughing out loud to some of the cuts on each other. Keep up the good work!

Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:52 pm
Corporal

I'm Kris. I'm 40 and just started a second profession as a Registered Nurse. I'm a father of 4 and happily married for 21+ years. I''m in a little town called Catasauqua, about an hour north of Philadelphia, in Pennsylvania, USA.

I've been role-playing for 32 years, and into minis since college when MikeP18103 infected me with Space Hulk. That led to 2nd edition Space Marine, then Rogue Trader 40K. Then life happened and I needed to focus on family, so I went to skirmish stuff like Blood Bowl and Necromunda.

Again life/kids/marriage intervened and it wasn't until 1st Ed Flames of War that I got back to painting and playing. There was som daliance with Necrons in the middle there but I got back to my US Armored Infantry before 2nd ed. became 3rd. I primarily play with guys from the Lehigh Valley Legion and make it to some of the I-95 Gamers FoW events.

Recently I've been infected by SAGA. ("Hi, my name's Kris, and I'm a Sagamite.") I'm painting some Welsh to annoy the local club with and hope to be able to rain lazer-guided-javelin-death among my opponents any day now.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:39 am
Staff Sergeant

Hi all,

I'm Mikko, 39, father of three sons (1,4 and 6)from Finland. My voyage into wargaming started with Twilight:2000, MERP and the usual suspects, later played too much Blood Bowl (started with the cardboard thingie... 2nd ed?), had Orc and Goblin army mostly painted (black) stolen from friend's cellar, kinda killed that hobby for me then... Been a history buff all my life, when I was very young I used to stay up on saturdays to watch the Black Sheep Squadron for the F-4U footage...
I've read more rulesets through than I care to remember, someone mentioned Space Opera, which was a really frustrating game to learn with limited knowledge of english, ww2 boardgames, FASA stuff and other.
Found Fow at a convention in Helsinki, Finland and got carried away by the visual aspect of the thing, and the fact that it was quite fast-paced game, it was a rigged fight between 2 Finnish Stugs vs some Russian tanks, me, the great commander winning of course... Anyone ever played the 3 cups game...?

Had my FJs lying in storage, unpainted for a long time, before actually got into my first games few months ago, now I have 1750+ FJ's 50% painted 1750+ Heer 90% painted and happily ordered me few Finnish platoons :P

Haven't really lurked here before, but it seems the other forum is bleeding it's more eloquent actives here, think I'll do my dwelling here from now.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:42 am
Profile WWW
Private

hi all,

john from ireland here, new to flames of war/15mm was trading in some old board games in a dublin store and got store credit to burn up, i love ww2 and was browsing around and spotted flames of war minatures there was some plastic soldier company boxes too. OCD kicked in. :o

from reading about ww2 and playing world of tanks i had some favourite tanks the stug and hetzer, went on a spending spree over the last couple of weeks, psc- stugs, panzer III's panzer IV's -zvezda stuka, halftrack, panzer II, 38t's gaming models - hetzers, jadpanther, pumas, wespes and finally some crappy tigers off ebay which are now known as my Guinea-tigers for painting practice,

my painting efforts are um - developing shall we say :D ;) ive mainly been gluing my fingers together building the psc models but i have gotten my panzer III's painted up and one of the guinea-tigers i also have my stugs undercoated with a couple of base layers on- i will paint some other models before doing the camo on them i want them to look kick ass, the panzer IV are also ready for camo, they are next on the hit list, they will be followed by the 38t's which will be done in a grey/yellow pattern.

already i have started to get some likes and dislikes and areas i need to improve, - i have discovered highlighting, - i love the effect this gives, i did not use this on my panzer III's and they would have been much improved by this technique, i am abandoning blacklineing - just not happy with the results and my crappy efforts, - using washes will be the new blacklineing - happy to hear suggestions of good mixes/brands. i will also be cutting my matt varnish with white spirit - read its a good idea?

next steps will be to work on weathering effects
http://www.heresybrush.com/ i was blown away after watching these tutorial videos, my efforts to copy their techniques look like childish scribbles in comparision, but its good to have goals in place and these guys do a fantastic job.

have not actually bought an actual flames of war model - might be considered a sin? they are a bit pricey and theres other manufactureres out there for similar prices with more interesting models, will no doubt eventually get something thats actually made by flames of war.

have not actually gamed yet - hoping to get a few more units painted up then see some / get a game in over the next couple of weeks

heres some links to the products/shops i used,

looking forward to getting some more posts up, including pics of my efforts for feedback/advice

thanks all.

*edit - how could i forget - love the podcasts/daily wwpd site updateas !

http://www.gamodls.com
http://theplasticsoldiercompany.co.uk/
http://www.zvezda.org.ru
http://gamersworlddublin.com/

Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:58 pm
Corporal

kyoteblue from TMP been gaming 40+years now FOW since 2005. Tons of armies including Japanese and US Marines. Looking into FOW 1918 as well.
Nice place yall got here.
Jonathan

Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:27 am
Corporal

Hey there everyone!

Doberman is here from Charlotte, North Carolina.

Is there a Sticky for Player Locations in this Forum?

Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:32 pm
Private

Hi Guys,

I'm Jon Halter and I'm from Phoenix Arizona. I've been intending on posting here for a long time but keep putting it off!

I've been playing FOW for about 5 years and have always been primarily a American player. I run my own blog, All Miniatures Great and Small here...http://buckaroo13.blogspot.com/ that covers whatever game I happen to be interested in... Lately Flames of War of X Wing mostly.

I'm also the Tournament Organizer for Shifting Sands 13, Arizona'a big Tournament event. Info here http://www.azdrfow.com

-Jon

Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:12 pm
Corporal

Hey guys,

My names Robb, live in New Hampshire. Played a lot of FoW a few years ago, but moving and such has stunted my growth until recently. That and my Soviet tanks were taunting me. I'm hoping after the first of the year to really get myself re-immersed in the hobby and get to know these knew rules.

I play Americans, British, and yea...Russians.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:27 am
Private

My name is Billy, Billy Jean. I don't love you. And I live in North Korea

JK

My name is a secret and I'm from the Philippines where there are 3 seasons, Wet, Dry, and NBA Season. My WoT Username is bad_balut_usa (Don't look at my stats, they suck). And I've been following Darqueling for a long time and never found the forums until now. And I work for Wargaming. Thats why Russian tanks are over powered.

Last edited by bad_balut_usa on Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:14 pm
Profile WWW
Private

Greetings all:

I'm Tony Thompson, a somewhat grumpy old bast*rd currently residing in Louisville, KY, USA. Been a gamer in general, wargames, RPGs of many types, boardgames, PC games, just a general gaming tramp for over 30 years. Currently I play mostly FOW, some WH40K and the occassional Warhammer Fantasy game of Orks vs Wood Elves with my wife of 18 years. She, of course, plays the Wood Elves, I play the pincushions, er, Orks & Goblins. And I run a D&D campaign when I can get a solid group together.

In FOW, I mostly run Germans, but, in order of frequency, I also play British, Hungarians, Soviets and USA. Mostly I run armor lists and I'm a well known fan of the Tiger Ie on the BF forum.

Okay, now, can someone tell me how to get on the player locator map thingamabob?

Many Thanks
Tony T.
BF ID#311, RHQ ID#100311

Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:18 pm
Staff Sergeant

bad_balut_usa wrote:
..... I work for Wargaming. Thats why Russian tanks are over powered.

You work for Wargaming, you say? Then maybe you can tell me what is the real story behind the Chinese tanks.... Why were they taken out at the last minute? I heard rumors of China yanking server pricileges if they didn't get buffed..... Care to put the rumors to rest?

Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:20 pm
Profile YIM
Private

mike48 wrote:
bad_balut_usa wrote:
..... I work for Wargaming. Thats why Russian tanks are over powered.

You work for Wargaming, you say? Then maybe you can tell me what is the real story behind the Chinese tanks.... Why were they taken out at the last minute? I heard rumors of China yanking server pricileges if they didn't get buffed..... Care to put the rumors to rest?

Cause PSY likes horses and Kim Jong-Ill doesn't like having non-nuclear tanks in the game

Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:21 am
Profile WWW
Private

I'm Alex. I'm located in Wisconsin and relatively new to historical wargaming.

Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:33 pm
Private

Hi All.

Kaffle here.

A cousin introduced me to 1/300 micro armour back in the late 70s and I was promptly bitten by the gaming bug.

Did a lot with 1st Edition Warhammer back in the 80s with the wonderful pre slotta figures (now sadly sold to my great regret) and 1/300 micro armour and Napoleonics as well as 20mm Vietnam. Happy days! I had WRG rules and Command Decision for the micro and then moved on to Spearhead, and Modern Spearhead which I really enjoyed. I've done a variety of other projects including numerous Late Roman period DBA / DBM armies. I also really enjoy Fire and Fury American Civil War in 15mm.

I have a loft groaning under the weight of the lead up there but giving me some post nuclear survivability!

Got into Flames of War a couple of years ago after hearing the early WWPD Podcasts. It's really great to be painting etc. and have one of the podcasts on, it's just like having some friends over. Flames of War has become my favourite game system, especially with the wonderful supplements, online support and podcasts by Battlefront and the WWPD. I guess I could say it was Steve that got me into Flames of War!

So far I've put together a MW / LW Strelkovy Battalion, a LW Panzer Gren. Company, and a "Panzer" Company of Stugs. Currently working on yet more Strelkovy to increase company sizes for EW and a LW Grenadier Company. Being tempted by Nam.

Don't get as much Flames of War gaming in as I'd like as opponents are somewhat few and far between in my part of the world.

Last edited by Kaffle on Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:30 pm
Major

@GuiltySkies- welcome! Let us know how we can help :)

@Kaffle- awesome! Glad to have ya and welcome :)

Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:35 pm
Technical Sergeant

Hello,

My name's Bojan (pronounced Boy-an), and I'm located on Canada's Wet Coast, in Vancouver, BC. I started Flames some three years ago, and it was my first miniatures war game (unless you count D&D). Currently we have a growing player community in my local game store (thank you, Open Fire!), and I organized my first tourney last November :) Those of you who participated in GenCon low-point tourneys last two years, I was the guy running Italians and Finns, respectively, winning Best Opponent on both (helps mitigate the bitter taste of defeat).

My primary army these days is Finns, with Italians and all sorts of Commonwealth LW kit - my first armies being 1st Polish AD Armoured and Infantry companies, but I haven't played them a lot since the nerf. I'm in the process of putting together Germans from Open Fire set, and have Devils' Brigade box in painting process - I'm running a game of Godlike RPG centered on FSSF and having some minis would help with mass battles they get involved in :)

I've also plunged into Bolt Action, and have done some demos in the area, hopefully game will take off. At least for me, it's wonderfully compatible with Flames of War. In fact, I'm going to try as hard as I can to make my prospective FoW Soviet army match up with my BA soviets! :)

Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:57 pm
Private

Hi,my name is Mike Norman,Electronic Enginner from South Africa.I had 2 strokes in November 2010 and now am "diabled".

I model/build Fow and Terrain although have never played a game (very few gamers/moddelers here).

Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:26 pm
First Sergeant

Hello Mike:

I had a pait of strokes back in 2006 and took up miniature painting as a form of therapy. I had to come up with some painting aides (figure grips and such) until I could control my left hand better. I found painting to be both very relaxing and very helpful therapy.

Good luck with your recovery and maybe you'll get those figures on the table to play a game one day!

Best of luck and welcome to the forum

Miles

http://lairoftheubergeek.blogspot.com/

Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:14 pm
Profile WWW
First Sergeant

oops not a pait but pair!

http://lairoftheubergeek.blogspot.com/

Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:15 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 366 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next