View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
What if? Designing your own WWII wargame... 
Sergeant

How about a fun exercise?

YOU get to be CEO/Cheif Game Designer for XYZ game company for a week.

Design your own tabletop miniature wargame. What would be the primary features you'd want in that game? What would make your game special?

Try not to knock other games - keep it civil - and tell us what you really like in a game, that would be in your dream game. For example:

In my WW2 game, I'd design an artillery system that allows both on-the-table, and off-the-able arty to fire on troops. But, I'd build in some "vagaries of the battlefield" so that off-the-table guns (bigger and badder) were tougher to achieve a successful salvo. The Seargant in the front line foxhole calling in a localized mortar battery is easier to get, than the same Sgt calling in the big guns from the rear.

Have fun, and keep it nice.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:42 pm
Technical Sergeant

First thing you need to decide is do you want a game, a simulation, or something in between. I don't mind simulations, but honestly I have never been able to find a gaming group full of enough hardcore folks to make a run at it. So I tend to prefer the mechanics to be approachable and game-like, but with enough verisimilitude to make it worth playing.

All that being said, my #1 priority in any historical game is being able to play historical forces. Rarity factors used by some game companies don't allow the fielding of oddball formations, and in my personal opinion, the unusual forces add a lot of spice to the game. So any force organizations used in the game should be based not only on historical TO&E, but include as many different formations as possible.

My second priority is balance. All other things being equal (including the roll of the dice), the game should come down to the skill of the player. I'm not a big fan of games with so much meta that the outcome is decided before deployment. Points systems can work here, but you have to watch out for stacking effects when certain unit combinations are taken.

Miniature Ordnance Review - http://miniordnancerev.blogspot.com/

Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:46 pm
First Sergeant

@@First thing you need to decide is do you want a game, a simulation, or something in between.
I agree with that 100%

Next is the type of dice. I understand the whys on using a d6, but the use of a different sided dice leads to a lot of variety as well, but with in the point #1 framework.

@@My second priority is balance.
Balance is key, but what is balance? I like those missions that allow a person to lose more units and all of the objectives, but still end up winning because turns determined the winner.

Historically one side is always much larger, but how you do in this uneven fight is the balance.

@@In my WW2 game, I'd design an artillery system that allows both on-the-table, and off-the-able arty to fire on troops. But, I'd build in some "vagaries of the battlefield" so that off-the-table guns (bigger and badder) were tougher to achieve a successful salvo.

Treat off-board like air. Different points costs determine what you can roll to get them. With a d6 game, buying arty that can be active on a 6 is cheaper than arty that can be active on a 3.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:35 pm
Corporal

I would want to make sure the game stayed fluid. Not by upping up the 'luck factor' but by making sure there were enough tactical options so that each unit had options through abilities, maneuvering or synergy to fill different roles. I really like the games with alternating activation for this reason.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]