View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Battlefoam Shipping cost is gouging at best. Pure greed 
First Sergeant

For the last several years, I have purchased some battle foam items.

I have been taking out my WWII figures and putting in my TY items for the last year. I had not purchased any new battle foam products in the last couple of years.

I recently logged on to take advantage of the sale. I was going to just get some new foam trays, and then decided to get the new ammo box which is compatible. Then I calculated shipping to the eastern USA.

An empty bag means I pay 42% of the cost in shipping. About $75USD

Getting two trays results in 57% shipping. $30USD

Combined my shipping is a lot lower at 35%. I understand a higher price on the trays due the capital cost of cutting machines. But shipping is just pure greed. Shipping is based mostly on weight and these products have no weight. Size may be a factor, but not at the size they sell for a single bag and definitely not for trays.

Greed is all I can think as to the reason they charge so much. It is almost worth the cost to fly to AZ and pick it up.

Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:16 pm
Sergeant

unfortunately, shipping is not just weight, (in fact weight is a small percentage of total shipping cost), its also bulk. That's why you always see the attendant take out a tape measure and measure all three dimensions of your parcel. and.....battle foam bags / trays are bulky

Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:19 pm
First Sergeant

@@cost), its also bulk. That's why you always see the attendant take out a tape measure and measure all three dimensions of your parcel.

Unless it is really, really big, (footlocker/table top/long pole) size or I have never seen that.

@@and.....battle foam bags / trays are bulky
No they are not.

An ammo box is 19W x 9.5L x 12.5H". Add a bit more for box dimensions and you are still not talking very bulky.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:42 pm
First Sergeant

SECfootball wrote:

I have been taking out my WWII figures and putting in my TY items for the last year. I had not purchased any new battle foam products in the last couple of years.

I recently logged on to take advantage of the sale. I was going to just get some new foam trays, and then decided to get the new ammo box which is compatible. Then I calculated shipping to the eastern USA.

Combined my shipping is a lot lower at 35%. I understand a higher price on the trays due the capital cost of cutting machines. But shipping is just pure greed. Shipping is based mostly on weight and these products have no weight. Size may be a factor, but not at the size they sell for a single bag and definitely not for trays.

Greed is all I can think as to the reason they charge so much. It is almost worth the cost to fly to AZ and pick it up.

Huzzah sells them. Better to pay retail at the FLGS than Battlefoam.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:22 pm
Technical Sergeant

As others have said, volume is part of the problem. I used to do a lot of ebay sales and was burned on more than one occasion.

For Battlefoam I usually wait for the sale, and go in with others if needed to get the free shipping...

Miniature Ordnance Review - http://miniordnancerev.blogspot.com/

Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:54 pm
First Sergeant

Mark wrote:
SECfootball wrote:

Thanks. I did not know that. Do you know if they sell the unique precut trays or just the generic trays?

Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:52 pm
First Sergeant

SECfootball wrote:
Mark wrote:
SECfootball wrote:

Thanks. I did not know that. Do you know if they sell the unique precut trays or just the generic trays?

I have not dug though Chris' stock...but I have ordered with him and piggy-backed on his next shipment. It's irregular when he orders though - just depends on the amount of stock he has and needs I guess. I ordered an empty Sword bag once and got it a month later. Three months later I ordered another one and got it the next week.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:28 pm
Technical Sergeant

Battlefoam desperately needs a new business model, but only from the customer point of view.

As long as they are top dog, no need to change. Unfortunately, none of the competition is even close.

I can tell you they don’t listen to anything, so as soon as someone gets serious about competing with them, we will have a better solution.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]