View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition 
Sergeant

I had not played 40K since 2nd edition, nearly 25 years ago. But I still had my Beekey Space Marine army in boxes and when I started reading about 8th edition coming out AND that I could download the core rules for free, I thought I would give it a try. I played a few games against a buddy who also hadn't played since 2nd edition and we both found that we enjoyed it quite a lot. It has the feel of 2nd edition without the all the wargear cards and such. I then played in a local tournament and enjoyed it, too. And THEN I crawled around in my attic and discovered a BIG box full of old 40K stuff I'd never assembled or painted. I guess I'm back into it now :)

The rules are simple and fast-moving and the armies have different dynamics which makes playing against them a challenge. The only downside I've found so far is that to make the rules so short and simple, they basically ignore things like terrain and line of sight. They basically say: What you see is what you get and if you have any questions, just do whatever seems right. This leads to a few not-so-good situations like being able to shoot through any number of friendly or enemy troops as long as you can see any part of your target. But hey, if you don't like it, just change it.

I'm having fun and painting up models and figures a quarter century old :)

Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:12 pm
Captain

The new edition is quite great and has me dusting off a ton of old projects too!

Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:09 pm
Technical Sergeant

I agree Scott & Piperider. My armies had not been on the table in something like 12 years: back then I came to realize it was a terrible system. I still have most of what I had back then (aside from what I sold to buy into FoW six years ago). I m very much enjoying this edition. I am running pure Sisters of Battle and winning! LOL

IIRC Luke mentioned he played at one time. I wonder if he's doing 8th too.

Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:40 am
Technical Sergeant

I've actually pulled some stuff out as well - hoping my son will be interested... :D

Miniature Ordnance Review - http://miniordnancerev.blogspot.com/

Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]