View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Beyond the Gates of Antares--Anyone playing? 
Sergeant

Anyone playing this? I wrote a short story for the recent anthology, so I've studied the rules and the background in depth, but I've never actually played the game! The rules DO look like Bolt Action, but I see posts from players who say it is a lot different.

Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:41 pm
Staff Sergeant

Hi,
yes I am playing a lot of GoA now.

Great game which has the basics of Bolt Action but the D10 systems make a big difference. A lot more variety in the armys.

At the moment I have C3 and Boromites. Currently painting some Algoryn.

Happy to answer any questions.

Gary

Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:00 am
Profile WWW
Sergeant

Thanks!

I guess my main question is on just HOW it differs from Bolt Action? I've read the rules for both and the similarities are very evident. For the record, I do NOT like Bolt Action, so before I get involved in BTGOA I'd like to be sure it's not just Bolt Action in space.

Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:22 pm
Staff Sergeant

Hi,
what don't you like about Bolt Action?

GoA uses the same dice bag system as BA with most of the orders being similar.

It is a D10 system which have some nice bonuses/penalties if you roll a natural 1 or 10.

There is a lot more emphasis on reacting to your opponents orders such as when you are charged in an assault you can stand and shoot or run away, if you are shot at with a Fire order you can quickly return fire or dive for cover. Just takes the player interaction up a notch.

There is a lot of differences in the game play between each of the races which is good. Never liked that a rifleman is a rifleman no matter what nation he was from in BA.

Much better army selection system. We play anywhere between 500 and 1500 points and its a good game. You can't turn up to a 500 point game with a tiger.

I agree with you that the rules read to be very similar to BA but there are a lot od subtle changes that you don't really get until you have a game.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:19 pm
Profile WWW
Sergeant

Thanks for your insights.

Sadly, the thing that I dislike the most about Bolt Action is the pull the die out of the bag activation system :) It just never felt right and it really slows the game down. Or at least that's been the case in the dozen or so games I've played.

I'm interested in your comment about the armies playing differently. One of my concerns was the fact that the basic infantry squad for the Concord, Isorians and Algoryns are virtually identical in every detail. I guess the other units in their armies must make for the difference--except that all seem pretty similar, too. Can you elaborate?

Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:36 pm
Staff Sergeant

Hi,
no problem. I quite like the dice bag system.

The Concord, Isorian and Algoryn squads play very different.

Concord and Isorians have plasma carbines which give you 2 fire options but they have different armour. The C3 is stronger at range and against blasts, the Isorian is good at range but stealthy as there units can go down to hide after they have been given an order.

Algoryn are tougher but there armour and weapons are more basic but have a lot of grenade launchers and different ammo.

A lot of the difference is how they interact with the rest of the army. C3 have more drones and units networking together. Isorians are more stealthy and sneaky, Algoryn are tougher and less reliant on technology.

Gary

Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:03 pm
Profile WWW
Sergeant

Thanks again for your comments. I guess I'm just going to have to find a game at a convention somewhere and see how I like it. I suppose I really ought to play the game since I'm writing stories for it. :)

Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:14 pm
Staff Sergeant

Hi,
sounds good. I have the anthology. Looking forward to giving it a read.

Thanks

Gary

Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:17 pm
Profile WWW
Technical Sergeant

I'll be trying out GoA at Origins this week. Looking forward to see how it plays.

Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]