View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
[Outpost Zero] Outpost 309 Episode 8 
Major

Episode 8

In Episode 8 of the Outpost 309 podcast, our heroes bring back GameMaster extraordinaire Alex, and go in depth with two RPGs. The first is Mindjammer, a brand new game with a sci-fi setting, based off the Fate rules. Next up is a good hard look at Fantasy Flight's Edge of the Empire, in which strengths, weaknesses, and overall quality are discussed. Family game of the podcast is a simple little fantasy dice game called Dungeon Roll, and a new videogame called Banished demands your money. Check it out, and make sure to leave some comments on the forum!

Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:19 pm
Profile WWW
Minister of Memes ಠ_ಠ

I was reminded of one of the most memorable roleplaying scenes after we made this episode-- it was alluded to in the podcast but the details are in a Star Wars D20 game where a buddy and I were playing "new" Jedi Knights having just graduated from being Padawans.

It's a long story, but we'd managed to thwart Alex (our GM) a few times in the first chapter and quickly found ourselves "setting off the trap" meant to kill us in a moon above the planet we had been stirring up trouble. All our nemesis's were present and we'd prepared a bit of a welcoming in advance to their showing up and trying to off us mobster style. Our "trap" didn't execute too well, but we managed to do a few fairly lucky things: First, my character managed to critically succeed in force pushing the as-of-yet unknown Sith warrior (the main bad guy of the game) out of a 10 or 15 story window. It's funny-- we didn't actually know who he was, or what he was doing there-- but he clearly meant ill and I made it clear I'd force push him out of the window before he started explaining his evil schemes. We didn't imagine that we actually killed him, but it definitely took him out of the fight.

We then afterwards managed to catch our other enemies unaware and forced them back into their speeders in an attempt to escape. In three subsequent rounds I double-critical hit each of the speeders (the second one they stole as they tried to get away from the previous one burning.) As they tried to run away from the second disabled speeder my friend/fellow Jedi force-guided a thermal detonator into the open cabin window into the lap of one of our reoccurring enemies and promptly earned himself a dark side point.

My buddy earned a few dark side points during that campaign, but it was worth it. It was no great tact on our part, but what happened when the dice were simply with us. We never got another session in on that game as we'd successfully killed, maimed, or scared away every enemy we'd acquired in the game.

How about anyone else-- any good stories out there?

Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:46 am
Corporal

(crickets chirping)

Nice try man . . . nice try.

Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:50 pm
Profile WWW
Minister of Memes ಠ_ಠ

It's legitimately a story I thought I'd share, Mr. Cynic.

Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:08 pm
Corporal

Hang on I have to go to the bathroom real quick . . .

Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:29 pm
Profile WWW
Private First Class

It was interesting to hear about SciFi RPGs, thanks guys.

In your video games section you were talking about city building games, you could try Cities XL, it has been a while since I played the franchise but it is a solid city simulator.

Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:09 am
Corporal

Hey Ben, thanks for the recommendation of Cities XL . . . I'm looking into it but I'd say that for now, at $30 USD, it's too pricey. Any other thoughts on the game? It definitely has me intriuged. Thanks again!

Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:34 am
Profile WWW
Sergeant

Just got caught up with the podcast and loved the last two episodes. Alex is a great addition to the team btw. Really interested to hear more about Edge of Empire as you get into it.

http://www.stormtroopermove.blogspot.ca/

Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:15 am
Profile WWW
Private First Class

sylvansealy wrote:
Hey Ben, thanks for the recommendation of Cities XL . . . I'm looking into it but I'd say that for now, at $30 USD, it's too pricey. Any other thoughts on the game? It definitely has me intriuged. Thanks again!

I just checked on steam, $4.50, it's 85% off at the moment.

Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:05 am
Corporal

Must've been the Aussie Steam, mate, as it was still $30 all weekend here. I have it wishlisted for just such a sale though. Thanks again!

Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:52 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]