View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Stripes...and now we know 
Private First Class

Those PSC M60s look pretty bad. Lots of missing/poorly rendered details.

Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:29 am
Staff Sergeant

Shortreengage wrote:

I'm no rivet counter, but I'm curious, how do you feel about the BF M60?

Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:05 pm
Private First Class

Just Some Dude wrote:
Shortreengage wrote:

I have not taken a good look at them. I'll see if I can find a good pic of BF's.

Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:09 pm
Captain

Just Some Dude wrote:
Shortreengage wrote:

I'd have to see the actual models in the flesh before I'd make my final call, but I can say that the headlight assemblies on the BF M60 model are a complete turn-off. What's shown below for the BF models though may have only been test models and not the final. The problem for the headlight assemblies is they are modeled as flat faced "domes" on the front edge of the upper glacis. Each assembly would be two lights with protective bar/frame over them. The PSC "CAD" looks about right for these, the BF model has just a "blister/dome" looking thing with a flat front.

I suppose Mike would just shave off the whole assembly on the BF model and scratch build it properly, less driven modelers like me might just paint the headlights on the flat face or maybe just go with the PSC.

Attachments:
images.jpg
images.jpg
images.jpg [ 10.14 KiB | Viewed 476 times ]
Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:32 pm
Profile WWW
Staff Sergeant

I noticed the flat faces on all the NVA wheeled vehicles. With a touch of paint they look okay--as long as you don't pick them up for a close look.

And, I would expect Mike to not only scratch-build proper examples but make them working with LEDs and a battery pack. :lol:

Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:45 pm
Captain

I have not noticed the issue on Soviet models. Perhaps it's not as pronounced there?

The PSC CAD images make the headlight assemblies look like they might very well be fiddly, so the BF solution will likely be easier for new modelers. I just am having a hard time getting over how much the front of BF M60 looks like big old frog eyes coming at me.

Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:26 pm
Profile WWW
Staff Sergeant

Oh, I see the M60 frog eyes now. Yes--they are much more pronounced than the much smaller bumps on the Soviet wheeled vehicles. And, yes, they're big enough to install a good-sized LED in. :(

Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:38 pm
Technical Sergeant

I am in no way a river counter.

Anyone have hi res pics links to show the comparison you guys are talking about? I’ll be interested to see reviews of the entire models. It seems to me BF generally wins the quality race. I’m all about quality because markets tend to drive out quality in what I consider a foolish quest for price. Maybe it’s because I no longer fit in an airline seat and had a friend spend a few days in the hospital recently because of the same problem.

Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:30 pm
Private First Class

Iron-Tom wrote:
Just Some Dude wrote:
Shortreengage wrote:

I'd have to see the actual models in the flesh before I'd make my final call, but I can say that the headlight assemblies on the BF M60 model are a complete turn-off. What's shown below for the BF models though may have only been test models and not the final. The problem for the headlight assemblies is they are modeled as flat faced "domes" on the front edge of the upper glacis. Each assembly would be two lights with protective bar/frame over them. The PSC "CAD" looks about right for these, the BF model has just a "blister/dome" looking thing with a flat front.

Smoke grenade launchers on the PSC M60 are horrible. as are the loaders hatch, GL ammo boxes, missing heater exhaust pipe, range finder blisters!, IR/WL searchlight mounts/searchlight etc. Smoke GLs should be the same on Chieftain/M1/M60A1/A3 as we got them from the Brits in '78/79.

Those BF M60 pics are low res, but I see what you mean about the headlights.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2