View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
TY & large Sov inf formations 
Corporal

I enjoy playing my TY BMP-1 and BTR-60 inf forces. In local games I have yet to lose a game with either of them facing a wide range of NATO forces over a large number of games.

BUT....we don't play vs the clock localy and the games with the BTR-60 force tend to go 3 hrs, which would translate to a losing draw in a tourney. The BMP-1 force either goes quick where I overrun in 3 turns or it again goes to a 3 hr win. They are just not realistic for use in a 2 or 2-1/2 hr tourney and do well.

This is against well balanced forces. Against tank heavy NATO forces, I can overrun them in less than the 2-1/2 hrs regularly.

As I am going back to traveling to tourneys, it looks like I am going to have to change my force structure, my Battle Plan responce, or both.

Sigh......

Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:11 pm
Staff Sergeant

Expensive experiments. Is all that plastic recyclable? :shock:

Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:33 pm
Corporal

BashOn wrote:
Expensive experiments. Is all that plastic recyclable? :shock:

Old Glory metal. About $250( $5 each ) for the BTR's.......or a day at golf on a mid level course. Or a bit over 1 day / work. Painting took about 4-6 hrs in total bench time as I did not do any fine detail. there was 0 assembly time as the body was cast in a single piece.

Not a big deal.

The BMP's ( and some BTR ) will mostly get used as I think the lists will go to a Mech inf list supported by armor.

Still have to put my painted T55 force on the table to play. That might be interesting with a T55 bat supported with a full mech inf unit and Hinds.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:29 pm
First Sergeant

I know this may be sacrilege, but you actually don't have to buy all the minis to try a list. In Madison, we used to get a number of young professionals and college students (I hear there is a university here... with some critter as its mascot) out to play FoW. I used to always suggest that they proxy models until they liked the game and could make a more educated purchase decision. I also let them play with my stuff, which... well... I have a problem similar to Ed's!

And BTW, this is what we would do in playtesting. How do you playtest a Pershing when it has yet to be released?

I am a believer in the BMP spam. But I prefer the game in a smaller scale and the speed of that does seem to go faster that 15mm. It is easier to utilize terrain and the small scale and there is a lot less of the "I can see him / no you can't" stuff.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:19 pm
Profile WWW
Staff Sergeant

webgriffin wrote:
I know this may be sacrilege, but you actually don't have to buy all the minis to try a list.

Good point. Wish I had forty of any single model to sub for that number of BTRs, but I didn't. Take that back--I do have 40 T-34s. Now, that would be interesting.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:11 pm
Technical Sergeant

If all else fails use bases and common sense in terms of line of sight... we used to do that a lot for playtesting.

Miniature Ordnance Review - http://miniordnancerev.blogspot.com/

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:10 am
First Sergeant

fingolfen wrote:
If all else fails use bases and common sense in terms of line of sight... we used to do that a lot for playtesting.

On more than one occasion, I used paper that was cut to the size of hulls... it was for BF playtesting, so no issue with how weird it looked. But it looked really weird!

As for the T-34, the hull size should be close to that of a modern APC...

Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:45 pm
Profile WWW
Private

Got all excited as I am currently buying that Formation. Then realized I checked old Glory and they have since raised there prices on par (roughly) with BF. 3 for 25.

Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:09 pm
Corporal

Moonova wrote:
Got all excited as I am currently buying that Formation. Then realized I checked old Glory and they have since raised there prices on par (roughly) with BF. 3 for 25.

I joined their discount club. 3 for $15 then.

Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:14 am
Corporal

Did well with my BMP-1 force this weekend at West Coast Regional. tied for 1st over 3 games. Found out I was not taking full advantage of my inf under TY.

The BTR-60 force is going back into play. What with the change in my rules perspective and several new play aides I have built to help save time, I think I can get the job done with them in the required 2-1/2 hrs now.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:57 am
Staff Sergeant

Congratulations, Ed. Glad the BMP-1s worked well. Interesting that you are going back to a BTR force.

At least one person is saying the new Stripes book might change the Soviet meta, but I haven't played enough TY to have an informed opinion. Might it change your force composition?

Also, as my own BTR-60 force is (somewhat) rapidly approaching completion, what player aides are you using? I'm guessing they include movement templates. Thanks!

Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:09 pm
Corporal

Bash

New Strategies to save time

1. I bought a folding roller service cart that has 3 levels. I used to use a folding table to setup next to the game table, but this has more room, more stable, and takes up no more floor space. Folds nicely for travel.
2. I now setup each of the inf co's in its own tray to speed up deployment. No need to confirm which stands come out of the box.
3. I bought several 8' sections of 3/4"x1/4" trim, cut into 12" sections. I painted 8 of these into quick read rulers in 2" segments.
4. This large number of 12" sections speeds play in several ways: I always have a ruler close to hand that covers about 80% of all my measurements; I use them to quickly quarter the table prior to missions to speed up table side choice; I use them to define deployment area; for movement of large inf units; I measure once, set a stick, move the inf to the stick, and then shove the following inf up behind; At 3/4" wide, it makes a quick check for firing lines of sight between obstructions.
5. I cut two 12" radius templates out of clear plastic to quickly determine the table setup for the several missions that use them.
6. My bases are all very visibly color coded to allow me to quickly and easily see at a distance the unit, unit leader, and Bat HQ.

Time is the enemy playing large inf forces designed to attack. Hopes this helps.

Ed

Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:29 pm
Staff Sergeant

Very helpful. Several ideas that I will use. Thanks much, Ed.

Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:18 pm
First Sergeant

EdForbes wrote:
Bash

New Strategies to save time

1. I bought a folding roller service cart that has 3 levels. I used to use a folding table to setup next to the game table, but this has more room, more stable, and takes up no more floor space. Folds nicely for travel.
2. I now setup each of the inf co's in its own tray to speed up deployment. No need to confirm which stands come out of the box.
3. I bought several 8' sections of 3/4"x1/4" trim, cut into 12" sections. I painted 8 of these into quick read rulers in 2" segments.
4. This large number of 12" sections speeds play in several ways: I always have a ruler close to hand that covers about 80% of all my measurements; I use them to quickly quarter the table prior to missions to speed up table side choice; I use them to define deployment area; for movement of large inf units; I measure once, set a stick, move the inf to the stick, and then shove the following inf up behind; At 3/4" wide, it makes a quick check for firing lines of sight between obstructions.
5. I cut two 12" radius templates out of clear plastic to quickly determine the table setup for the several missions that use them.
6. My bases are all very visibly color coded to allow me to quickly and easily see at a distance the unit, unit leader, and Bat HQ.

Time is the enemy playing large inf forces designed to attack. Hopes this helps.

Ed

Add a small metal base under each stand, magnetize a troop tray. Unless or until you need to take advantage of some curved piece of terrain, should help you move quicker.

Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:17 pm
Corporal

Mark

I have thought about movement trays and have used them in other rules sets. I have not found moving the troops to be a big time waster by using the sticks to mark forward movement and shove the body forward, but I am always looking to speed things up. Using trays both helps and hinders, but they may help overall if the large units are broken into smaller subsections.

I had ordered both flexible steel and flexible magnetic sheets last month to build movement trays. My prior experiance in using them is that you need to build the trays such that they are easy to pick up.

My first go at this for TY will be sheet steel cut into strips for 2 ranks deep and 3 or 4 wide with a peg in the center to lift the tray for movement and mag sheet on the bottom of the inf stand to hold to the metal strip.

Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]