View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
A lot of buzz on this game. But what is it? 
First Sergeant

Can FOW figures be used?

Not sure it is in my game store, what do I actually need to start playing?

Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:45 pm
First Sergeant

SECfootball wrote:
Can FOW figures be used?

Not sure it is in my game store, what do I actually need to start playing?

Yes

Huzzah carries it and Chris told me he has guys playing it in the store.

There is a new reprint of the rulebook - so I would start with that. Then, depending on which period you wish to play, there are campaign books.

Early War - Blitzkrieg (German, Poland, France, British), Barbarossa (German, Soviet), Tobruk (German, Italian, British)
Late War - Fall of the Reich (British, US, German), Wacht em Rhine (German, US)

There are two PDFs of out of print books you can get from the PSC website - Overlord (British, US, German) and Kursk (German, Soviet).

Next book out is Market Garden, after that a reprint of 1/2 the Overlord book with the beyond the beaches lists.

Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:21 pm
Sergeant

The main rule book for BattleGroup 2nd ed seems to be sold out most places. For example, on The War Store

Here's the link to the main rule book via The Plastic Soldier Compan

Tom Posted this link to a video from the guy at Acceptable Cassualties for a 1+ hour comparison between FOW and BattleGroup. there are other vids in the sidebar about BG that you can watch.

The downsides (what I'm learning from other players - haven't found anyone to play BG with yet out here yet:)
-- No tourney scene
-- Longer play time

Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:17 pm
First Sergeant

Regarding tournametns - there was no FoW tournament scene until it got created. If you want a tournament scene, you might have to create one. We did that here in NoVA (I95 gamers) and carried them up to HCon/Fall-In/ColdWars starting with v1. Nothing in BG says it can't be a tournament game.

Time - I have not played enough to really compare yet. Currently, it takes a bit longer, but then we have played 4 games so far. But already, starting to memorize stuff and make it go faster.

Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:50 pm
Captain

We play fairly regularly at my house and sometimes at Huzzah, although the new edition of 40k has sucked a lot of people away.

I have both individually based stuff, and FoW based stuff. I prefer the FoW based stuff for ease of play, although it does require wound tracking.

Our playgroup does not use the ammo counting rules. We acknowledge that it does "unbalance" it a little bit, as points costs seem to be account for how much ammo you can carry, but it's just a level of book keeping we don't care for.

Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:53 pm
Sergeant

Another interesting vid from the ModelDads blog: Interview with Mr. Kilrade of the game designers, does a walkthrough of the game in about 40 minutes

https://youtu.be/DF2ry7BfKgU

Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:36 pm
First Sergeant

piperider361 wrote:
We play fairly regularly at my house and sometimes at Huzzah, although the new edition of 40k has sucked a lot of people away.

I have both individually based stuff, and FoW based stuff. I prefer the FoW based stuff for ease of play, although it does require wound tracking.

Our playgroup does not use the ammo counting rules. We acknowledge that it does "unbalance" it a little bit, as points costs seem to be account for how much ammo you can carry, but it's just a level of book keeping we don't care for.

We used the "Obviously Dead" markers from Litko (see any of Steven's old FoW battle reports if you don't know what these are). FoW basing is easier to move, but requires using change or markers. +/-

I have rebased up some of my German DAK to have 3 guys with a MG34/42 on a base and then 2 guys on a base using small FoW bases. If you ever need them for FoW, just put two together.

We used the ammo rules but did not make the HE/AP distinction. Just put a d10 or spinner behind each tank. YMMV

Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:05 pm
Sergeant

There are a few tournaments in the UK one at Bovington last weekend for example. Not much use to me though as it was 20mm and I play in 15mm. There have been a few games days where figures were available to borrow.

Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:41 am
Sergeant

Still waiting on my rulebook to arrive, but as I'm watching videos and reading blog posts one major difference from FoW (the only other WWII wargame I've played) is in how the meta for the player seems radically different.

In BG you know how close your force is to breaking. But you only have a general idea how close your opponent is to breaking. This is based on the Battle Rating of your forces and drawing chits out of the bag. Only you know how many points toward breaking your force has accrued.

In FoW V4, many players are building forces and selecting reserves specifically to keep their forces from breaking and losing the game that way. Other players, when faced with the difficult position to win with, end up trying to break their opponents force and concentrate on wiping out the core units in the opposition to force that break.

I'm interested to see how deeply different (or not) the strategy seems to be in BG for force breaking.

Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:02 pm
First Sergeant

Troy wrote:
Still waiting on my rulebook to arrive, but as I'm watching videos and reading blog posts one major difference from FoW (the only other WWII wargame I've played) is in how the meta for the player seems radically different.

In BG you know how close your force is to breaking. But you only have a general idea how close your opponent is to breaking. This is based on the Battle Rating of your forces and drawing chits out of the bag. Only you know how many points toward breaking your force has accrued.

In FoW V4, many players are building forces and selecting reserves specifically to keep their forces from breaking and losing the game that way. Other players, when faced with the difficult position to win with, end up trying to break their opponents force and concentrate on wiping out the core units in the opposition to force that break.

I'm interested to see how deeply different (or not) the strategy seems to be in BG for force breaking.

So far, I have not tried putting together a "tournament-style" list for BG. I guess you might make sure you have a couple of snipers (who seem reasonably priced to add both Scout and BR), another recon that can call in artillery, and a beefy infantry platoon to hold and and push stuff around with enough BR to get your tanks into good position. With pinning leading to drawing BR chits though, anything that does a good job of pinning enemy tanks and infantry teams is worth taking. So I could see that big infantry guns might be a good pick-up. Whereas in FoW, I don't think you see a lot of infantry guns used.

Lots to think about. Currently we are just trying out stuff to see how things work and keeping pretty historical.

Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:23 pm
Sergeant

There is actually a good intro battle report linked off the guild forum (on their facebook page).

https://m.facebook.com/groups/237995539700701?view=permalink&id=674085816091669&ref=bookmarks

The report has little sidebars to discuss basic rules and concepts. Worth the read.

Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]