View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Pimped Out Star Destroyers! 
Sergeant

So far in my Armada games I've always taken a minimum of upgrade cards so that I could take the maximum number of ships. My usual opponent has been of like mind. It has generally worked pretty well. But today we played a 400 point game and I decided to cram my Imperial and Victory SDs with every card I could cram into them. Since I was inexperienced in learning how to make the most of the abilities I fully expected to lose.

Nope!

I gave the Imperial SD Spinal Armament, Redundant Shields, Overload Pulse, Leading Shots, Gunnery Team, Weapons Liaison, and Relentless. It pretty much won the battle all by itself.

To my surprise my opponent also went the more expensive route and I found myself facing TWO MC80 cruisers. He also had one of the MC30 frigates and I had the little 2-ship assault carrier thingy mostly to get another activation.

The rebels came straight at me, intending to catch the Imperial SD between the two MC80's broadsides.

Didn't work. Using all the fancy gizmos in my Imperial I hammered both cruisers on the approach (the Gunnery Team card allowed me to fire my massive forward arc weapons twice, once at each cruiser). The Overload Pulse allowed me to exhaust all the defense tokens and well-rolled accuracy dice plus plenty of other hits left both ships hurt as we closed. The next turn I activated the Imperial SD immediately and blew away one of the MC80s and badly damaged the other. None of my ships had even been scratched and the Rebels threw in the towel.

So, I may need to rethink how I play this game! :)

Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:39 pm
Major

We call those "ISD X-Mas Trees" cause they have all the ornaments hanging on them.

Careful about Overload Pulse- it's timing is weird. Remember that critical effects trigger AFTER defense tokens have been spent. Also, you can't have O.P. on with Leading Shots!

Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:10 pm
Sergeant

That's interesting! Where does it say that in the rules? Or is that a clarification posted somewhere? Frankly it would be fine by me if O.P. was toned down!

Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:22 pm
Major

It's right there in rules reference:

Step 4 of an attack is spend defense tokens.

Step 5 is resolve damage/resolve critical effects.

When The ISD first came out people were trying to combine Overload Pulse (Blue Crit to exhaust all defense tokens) with Avenger (No exhausted defense token can be spent), but a quick glance at the rules show that just isn't possible. It made O.P. much less desirable in my opinion. You COULD put it on a Raider II or something to set up the kill shot for Avenger... but that would mean firing with your RDR first, and often a big nasty ISD wants to go first!

The steps for 4 and 5 are actually and unfortunately a bit more nuanced then they first appear, but I know you aren't playing tournament games so it probably doesn't matter. it DOES impact that Avenger/OP combo though which is just broken if you don't do it right!

I will lay out exactly how an attack should work right now, but if it's too complex no worries- it's your games!
Step 1: is gather the attack pool. This starts off as ONLY the battery dice, accounting for range/obstruction. If there are zero dice at this point, then no attack is made.
Step 2: is roll the dice.
Step 3: is modify the dice- re-rolls, concentrate fire dice additions (or any effect that ADDS dice to the POOL but not the Battery- IE Ackbar) happen now. Step 3 includes spending accuracies, though when you spend an accuracy the die is removed from the pool.
Step 4: Defender spends defense tokens.
Evade is automatically resolved.
Brace, Redirect, and Contain aren't resolved until later.
Step 5: Resolve critical effects now. Resolve the contains defense token if applicable.
Step 6: Total the damage and resolve redirect/brace.

The nuance between step 4 5 6 comes into play with cards like Assault Proton Torpedoes and redirect.

Say I hit you with 4 damage on black dice including a crit in your front. You have no shields in the front, or on the left, but 3 points on the right side. You spend a brace, a Contains, and a Redirect. When you spend your redirect you announce you are sending that to the right side (where you still have shields).

I then trigger my APT crit. Your contain can only stop the default crit, so critical effects on cards still go off.
APT lets me immediately deal you a faceup card. That card happens to be projector misaligned- your hull zone with the most remaining shields loses all of its shields. Thus, your right side which was at 2, is now at 0.
Now we total the damage: 4.
Now we resolve your other defense tokens: Brace halves the damage from 4 to 2. But, your redirect has nowhere to go (even if you had shields on the other side, you have to declare where it goes when you spend it) so... 2 damage to the hull. Ouch!

Again- all of that complication is not really necessary, but the nuance is there!

Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:39 pm
Sergeant

Steve,

Thanks for the insight! Wow, that's... intricate :)

Not sure how much sense it make, though. I can see that you could spend an evade token first since evading the fire means it never actually hits you. And if you managed to remove the single blue crit die that allows you to use the Overload Pulse, then hey, good move! But if the fire and the OP actually hits you, well, at that point it seems like it would be too late to use Brace, Contain, or Redirect. All of those concern dealing with damage which HAS hit you and if the OP's power disrupts that ability, well, too bad.

Oh well, I have no interest in tournament play. I'll discuss this with my usual opponents and see how they want to handle it.

Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:48 pm
Major

Yeah, like I said- it only comes up once in a while! By and large, and for general play the order doesn't need to be so precise.

It HAS mattered more than once for me, but 99% of situations it doesn't really matter!

BUT when crits are resolved does make a big difference as you saw! Overload Pulse is an *okay* card. If it worked with Avenger on the same ship it would be an AMAZING card!

Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:49 pm
Corporal

Looks like I was doing it wrong too!
I don't get enough games in to really get the rules down.. I REALLY need to play more with you guys at the shows!!!

Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]