View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
X-wing storage 
Private

First let me say I am a total noob that has every ship or set for X-wing but have not yet really gotten into the game yet. Too much money and not enough time and waiting for retirement. At any rate, came home and nearly throttled my only child. My son and his friend broke into most of my sets and jumbled them up. They thought it would be cool to play a big game with most of the ships without even having the basics down. I had purposely left them packaged until I had a clearer concept of the game and could properly organize them and all the components. I am aware that certain maneuver disks go with certain ships and certain pilot and upgrade cards will do the same, but is there any reason I can't take all of these components and sort them into a group or do I need to keep them all separate from other ships?

Dave

Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:17 am
Private

Its easy to sort them. The only things that need to stay together are ships and their dials. The dials are ship based, not pilot based, all dials for a specific ship type are the same no matter what pilot is flying that ship, Luke's and Biggs X-wing dials are exactly them same, both the front and back of the dials are marked with what ship they belong to (although the lettering can be quite small). Pilot cards clearly say what ship that pilot flies, upgrade cards are marked by different backs and/or a symbol in the lower left corner. Tokens are generic, stress tokens from different ships are the same.

For basic storage and travel I use the Stanley STST14440 Click and Connect Organizer (got it from amazon). Its big enough to handle the large ships and as your collection grows you can just add more and click them together (3 for me so far). You can move the dividers around so it fits your needs, I did cut a notch in one of the dividers so my range ruler would fit inside the box. Take care if you do this, the plastic is quite tough, I cut down with a utility knife, scored a line across and then used pliers to snap off the piece I wanted to remove (remember, cut away from the hand holding things). I also added a thin layer of foam padding to the bottom of the case to reduce bumping damage. Foam sheets I had from another project, 1/4 inch I think, put it under the dividers and just pushed the dividers back in, worked great.

I recommend you take advantage of the astonishing number of small ziplock bags you will end up with to keep things organized. All my tie fighter dials (8+) are in a bag so I don't have to hunt around for them.

I store all my cards in a binder when not in use as it makes much easier for me to plan out upgrades and such. The pilot cards fit in standard card page protectors and Ultra Pro makes pages that fit the upgrade cards.

I also recommend you start playing! X-wing is an easy game to play and a hard one to master. Good flying is the most important skill in the game, and you would not believe how many times you will bump, hit, and run over things once you start.

Good luck!

Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:27 pm
Private

Wilt,

Thanks for the advice. Now I don't need to beat my child as severely. Just kidding. I will look into your storage solutions and the card sheets in a binder seems like a good idea. Yes, I do need to start playing. I must say that I have been somewhat intimidated as it has gained so much popularity and the expertise of all the players has improved while I dithered. Spend most of my time in the FoW world and it is like me jumping into that arena for someone who has never played. Hoping to get some of the basic game in this weekend after I finish a research project and final exam. Work, school, and family are always trumping my gaming time.

Dave

Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]