View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Heavy Turbo Lasers 
Private First Class

After listening to episode 15, I've gone back into the lab and pulled out the Heavy Turbo Lasers, and I have been finding them to be extremely good.

With the prevalence of ECM now in wave two (all rebel ships, ISD-II), the number of times that my single accuracy has been overwritten by ECM and then brace/redirect has been much more common in wave 2 than in wave 1.

With the near disappearance of Advance Projectors, I am beginning to think the best counter to ECM/Brace is the HTL. Just like X17, it keeps all the damage done concentrated onto one hull zone, so that you can punch through into hull much quicker than letting the damage be spread out and diffused, especially on the big ships (ISD, MC80, AFmkII). And it's one point less than X17 to boot.

I would highly suggest taking HTL for a test drive and see how they impact your game.

Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:18 am
Private First Class

Also, it prevents a large ship from bracing and then containing a critical hit, which we've seen on multiple occasions to be very costly.

Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:25 am
Major

I need to get them back on the table. The prevalence of ECM has me rethinking Intel Officer too. I haven't been using it much lately!

Intel Officer + XI7 seems strong- use the brace and lose it and redirect one point! But the HTL does seem like it'd be a real bear against the larger ships.

Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:51 pm
Private First Class

I think Intel officer is a really strong response in the post-ECM wave 2 environment. I've been toying around with the notion of running intel officers and NK-7 ion cannons on Raiders-II. at 65 points each, they can chew through your opponents defense tokens like butter.

Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:08 pm
Private

I feel that the strongest combo but most expensive combo is Intel officer and xi-7-s. It's 13 points but is super strong. But if you don't want to spend 13 points or need your officer slot for someone else then heavy turbolaser turrets are a good choice. They work better the more dice you have and are a little added insurance for extra damage on ships with lower chances of accuracies being rolled. (isd 1) for example if you use just xi-7 and roll 7 damage on an isd shot no accuracies, they can brace it to 4 damage and redirect 1 damage to a different hull zone netting 3 damage to the hull zone you fired at. But if you use heavy turbolaser turrets and all they do is brace they take 4 damage to the hull zone you targeted. But if they brace and redirect they only can brace 1 damage so you are netting 6 damage spread across 2 hull zones. With ECM being so prevalent both upgrades are a good way to increase your damage output!

Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]