View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Organize a Twin Cities FoW Tournament? 
Private First Class

I'm wondering at the interest level of putting together a Twin Cities (or Rochester Mn) Flames of War Tournament.

I've chatting with a few locales that would be interested in doing it so from the perspective of a location I think we're looking at something definitely within the realm of the possible. Just wondering at the potential for a pool of players.

Time-wise thinking either late spring (April) or maybe late summer (August)

Thoughts / comments / feedback ?

Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:10 pm
Corporal

I'm interested.

LordOfTeeth organized a MW game last spring at the Source. We has six players; it was an excellent time.

Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:51 am
Corporal

I am definitely in!!!

I used to run some at Tower Games. We regularly had players come down from Duluth for the day.

I think the most we had show up was 18.

I would be up to help run it too, if needed........

Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:45 pm
Private First Class

Just a quick update. Definitely trying to get the ball moving. So something is going to happen just a matter of when!

Trying to get ahold of battlefront....

Any preferences as far as Early, Mid or Late war?

Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:13 pm
Private

I'm in! Just as long as I can get whatever it is off of work. 8-)

I'm a mid war fan, but I'm up for any time period.

Flames players in the cities are so scattered, it's nice that wwpd has a place for us to coordinate independent of the stores at which we play!

Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:00 pm
Corporal

tgall_foo wrote:
I'm wondering at the interest level of putting together a Twin Cities (or Rochester Mn) Flames of War Tournament.

I've chatting with a few locales that would be interested in doing it so from the perspective of a location I think we're looking at something definitely within the realm of the possible. Just wondering at the potential for a pool of players.

Time-wise thinking either late spring (April) or maybe late summer (August)

Thoughts / comments / feedback ?

What location did you have in mind? We played at the Source last year. We each pitched in $20 for entry fee, which the TO used to purchase store gift certificates as a way of thanking the store for providing the space. The Source also has quite a few 6x3 boards and a little terrain. I think Village has probably more terrain, but less space and no longer stocks battlefront. Tower has comparable space to Village, but not much terrain for 15mm.

I can organize this or assist or just play a pitch hitter if you end up with an odd number of players. I can play Axis or Allies in either mid or late.

I can also bring my own terrain. I could field two tables to not-too-sparce desert and at least one table of not-too-sparse European terrain.

Late April would be perfect for me, before fishing opener and the summer vacation schedule.

Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:11 pm
Private

I think the Source is the best spot in the Twin cities to have a Flames tournament now since they are the only store that carries the product now. They have a bunch of boards to play on we only need to bring terrain.I have enough terrain for 4 boards and Lordofteeth has probably enough for 6-8 and maybe more depending on what period you want to play. But on Saturdays they always have some CCG event going on at the Source that takes up half of the room. Fantasy Flight is huge and they serve food and drinks including beer. Village has said they would host an event if we give them notice Tower would also probably host if we ask them, but the last 3 stores mentioned don't carry the product anymore so it is tougher for prize support and also supporting the store. enough for 4 boards and Lordofteeth has probably enough for 6-8 and maybe more depending on what period you want to play.

I am not opposed to driving to Rochester either depending on my schedule. Please give us plenty of notice so we can spread the word.

Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:41 am
Private First Class

Thanks everyone for all the posts of support!

So updates. I've heard from Battlefront and from The Source. I've got all the paperwork so things can be an "official" tournament as far as that goes.

I am pressing ahead with working with The Source. I'm thinking a Saturday is best. Start like at 10am, 3 rounds, should be finished by 4 or 5pm including a lunch break.

Glad to hear of all the terrain. I think if we can coordinate on that that'd be great. For my I know I personally can do several tables terrain wise. Am planning to get together with the guys from The Source and plan things out including blocking out something on their calendar.

Additionally the Guys down in LaCrosse are planning something as well. FYI!

It's a drive from the cities, but hey, last tournament I played in I drove 3+ hours to play in it,

So when?

I'm thinking August tho if I could make it work last part of April was also on my mind. To me April isn't enough time to get posters out and work out all the details specially for a "1st" time event.

Time period?

I'm thinking Mid war

Books?

East Front, North Africa

Points?

Entry Fee?
TBD, but I'd like to keep it low, OTOH prizes are always appreciated!

Stay Tuned!

Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:06 am
Private

I've got my Terrain Pile as well I can bring, though it won't look as mid-war-ish as it would look like Normandy transplanted into Italy (that's my excuse, I'm sticking to it.).

As much as I'd prefer to do village (the new store is awesome and much larger, with great terrain), the lack of battlefront product is a downer.

I'd also happily do Lacrosse AND Madison...Joe's got fun tournaments and getting my backside kicked by The Brit Who Shall Not Be Named is actually quite a pleasure.

Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:19 pm
Private

I like the April time frame. I'd personally prefer a Sunday and it tends to be a slower day for the stores. I can help with terrain in whatever way its needed.

John

Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:29 pm
Corporal

I've prefer a late April game in addition to an August game. Maybe LordofTeeth or I organize something in April and tgall_foo organizes something in August?

Also, is there value in registering with BattleFront, or do we just play a few games locally and who cares what Battlefront thinks?

Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:37 am
Private

I don't think the tournament needs to registered. Players used to be able to register with them and they would give you a player number but I don't think they do that anymore.

I do think it is a good idea to post the tournament on the Battlefront forums to players know about the tournament.

I would be up for an April tournament and August too. There is going to be an Early war tournament in Brookings, SD on 3/21 that I plan on going to so if anyone wants to ride along let met know.

Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:33 pm
Corporal

I've spoken with the Source and reserved the large sand table and up to six normal tables on May 3rd.

The source's Sunday hours are Noon to 5pm, so a conventional tournament seems difficult to fit in.

We could to a two-round event of full-sized games.

We could do Tank Aces tournement, expecting smaller all mechanized games to move along faster.

Or we could something less competitive more demonstration like a four vs. four recreation of Kursk or Al Alemien. Everone brings a modest force, split between axis and allies, we have a big relaxed game, and get to know each other face to face.

- Mike

Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:31 pm
Private

A Tank Aces tournament sounds fun! A few rounds of small point games should fit into the time limit nicely. :)

Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:15 pm
Private

May 3rd is kind of a bad weekend for me. But I'll see what I can do.

Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:22 pm
Private

Unfortunately I'm out on the 3rd. I'm running the 40k tournament that weekend over at FFG.

Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:48 pm
Corporal

Sorry for the delay while I was out of town.

I am thinking Tank Aces with two 70 minute rounds at 600 points and one 90 minute final game at 800 points. This assumes 45 minutes to set up, meet and greet, etc, 10 minutes between rounds, and 15 minutes clean up. I think we should skip the tank aces character development to accelerate the game.

I will ask for a $10 source gift certificate as a prize and a thank you to the store for hosting.

Does this sound viable? Five hours is an extremely narrow range for three games.

Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:58 pm
Corporal

I can come play on that day.

Tank Aces sounds like fun, but I will need you to post the army selection rules.....

Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:38 pm
Corporal

Flames of War Tank Aces Tournament
Source Comics and Games, May 3rd 2015 Noon-5pm.

THEME: Summer ’44 tank battles

LISTS: Overlord/Atlantik Wall/Red Bear/Grey Wolf and PDFs covering up to August 1944. Example Polish Armor PDF is OK, but Panzers on the Muse or Blood, Gluts, and Glory are not.

POINTS: Battle one and Battle two are 600 points tank teams only. Battle three the same 600 pts list with 200 extra points added, tank teams only. All Infantry, Gun, and Staff teams in a platoon are omitted.

Note, unlike a typical Tank Aces campaign, your Tank Ace will not progress or gain tank ace skills. This is due to the very short time limit imposed by the Source’s Sunday hours.

COST: Please purchase and bring a $10 source gift certificate as a thank-you to the venue and for prizes.

-------------------

I really want this to be low key, fun, and accessible. Does the format above look workable -- help me out, I've never run a tournament before. Please give feed back by Saturday so I can communicate more boardly (Fow forums, local email list, Source's forums...anything I am missing?)

Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:33 am
Corporal

Looks good!!

Want me to bring a table of terrain? (Is it 4x4 or 6x4 for Tank Aces?)

Are there any funky army selection rules for Aces? Only one combat platoon or something like that?

Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:29 pm
Private First Class

Thanks for pulling that together. Wish I could make it that day. :-/

Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:22 am
Corporal

ultracommander wrote:
Looks good!!

Want me to bring a table of terrain? (Is it 4x4 or 6x4 for Tank Aces?)

Are there any funky army selection rules for Aces? Only one combat platoon or something like that?

OK tank aces Tank or Mechanized only companies.

Each tank is an Warrior, able to move about freely or group near one another for hit allocation, storm trooper. Warriors can automagically join a platoon or other warriors for phase of a turn as desired.

Tank Team only - No infantry, guns, or transports. EG, an M7 priest troop dropps its staff and command teams and becomes a Warrior OP sherman and Warrior priests. The warrior priests can form an adhoc platoon to shoot a barrage or not as warriors see fit.

No morale checks, fight to the death.

No specific restrictions or ignoring company diagrams except where you simply can't form a second combat platoon with the very limited points.

Tank aces missions are mostly just go kill the other guy in 9 or less turns. (variable ending turns,) There a tactical edge objectives that grant various rerolls, so there is a bit more than just kill em, all -- grabbing such an objective early might give you a key reroot.

+1 point if you're tank ace survives (nominate your own Ace)
+2 points if you kill more tanks
+2 points if you have more surviving tanks

however, there does not seem to be a lot of interest, so the works might get scrubbed.

Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:20 am
Private

I'm in as long as I can get the day off work. I can bring tank ace objectives as well.

I just told Zeewolf about it today too. :D

Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:43 am
Corporal

Please let me know by Sunday Noon if you're planning to attend by emailing me at mjs101@comcast.net.

Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:45 pm
Corporal

Asdel wrote:
Please let me know by Sunday Noon if you're planning to attend by emailing me at mjs101@comcast.net.

There is not enough interest at this time for a tournament of format.

Thanks
Mike

Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next