View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
What do you do when??? 
Corporal

Hey guys
I used to play WoT a lot, in fact its the only computer game I play. I'm one of those players that logs on, has a couple of games, ends either grinning inanely or swearing my head off and logs off.

Unfortunately I was quite far down the road before I become aware of bothered by stats, but since I did I've become a better player as I'm actively trying to get my stats up to the elusive 50%.

The thing I've noticed though recently is the amount of times I've just started a new game I'm just deciding which way to go (generally the opposite way to the lemming train) and boom! Our side is losing 0-4...and I'm left thinking wtf just happened, how did they die so fast? Bizarrely I find once this has happened it then seems to happen for the next 10 games. Swearing profusely then ensues.

Now I'm not good enough to carry the losses for the team, so unless I'm extremely lucky and have some brilliant players on my team that can take up the slack, then that usually means we've lost and my stats are taking a hit.

So, with all that waffle and background out of the way...what do you tend to do when within the first 40 seconds of a game you're already losing 4-0 (or there abouts). Camp? Rage quit? Rambo time? Try and find some new interesting map feature you've not noticed before?

Your time and thoughts are appreciated

Dave

winnerdave@breakthroughassault.co.uk

LW - Understrength Soviet Tankovy

Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:14 pm
Profile WWW
Captain

When you're outnumbered like that, there is very little you can do. One of the best and worst things of WoT is that you are dependent on your team, either you succeed together or your fail together. Usually when I see flanks collapse or we start to get outnumbered you are left with two choices; throw yourself ahead at their base as hard and quick as possible hoping to break the line and start the cap, or return to base to try and pick off the weak ones and delay the cap as long as you can.

Most times you are looking at a loss no matter what when you start to see the cards fold like that, so I usually just do my best to make my damage > my hp. Consider myself lucky to get that.

Twitch: Darqueling

Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:38 pm
Sergeant

Hangfire wrote:
Hey guys
The thing I've noticed though recently is the amount of times I've just started a new game I'm just deciding which way to go (generally the opposite way to the lemming train) and boom! Our side is losing 0-4...and I'm left thinking wtf just happened, how did they die so fast? Bizarrely I find once this has happened it then seems to happen for the next 10 games. Swearing profusely then ensues.

Now I'm not good enough to carry the losses for the team, so unless I'm extremely lucky and have some brilliant players on my team that can take up the slack, then that usually means we've lost and my stats are taking a hit.

So, with all that waffle and background out of the way...what do you tend to do when within the first 40 seconds of a game you're already losing 4-0 (or there abouts). Camp? Rage quit? Rambo time? Try and find some new interesting map feature you've not noticed before?

Depending on your tank going to the weakside is sometimes is not the best play. Try "conducting" the lemming train and pushing the tempo on the strong side so it doesn't get bogged down and then return to defend the cap.

Some of the newer modpacks include a running counter of total HPs for the team; sometimes your team is doing damage -- but it's not focused -- so you are behind but not as badly as you would think. The fight could easily swing the other way (or just keep on snowballing). IMHO just do what you would if you are on the weak flank... hunker hull down and go down swinging. Never know when the battle could swing in your favour.

Also one note about statistics... it's easy to be caught up in short term variance and miss the big picture. Consistency is the key; ie: someone in the top 95% of WN8 ratings might win 58% of the time whereas someone in the bottom 20% might only win 46% of the time (http://wotlabs.net/). Don't despair -- while the game often feels like 1 v 29 just keep improving your game and you will do better. Lots of resources out there for learning (ie: Zeven on Youtube)

Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:52 pm
Corporal

Thanks guys, that mod-pack sounds good, overall damage is probably a better indicator than hulls.
I guess I'm probably a victim of my own goal setting. When I first discovered stats I was horrified at my K/D ratio, so I worked really hard to bring it up to 1. With that under my belt I decided I'd focus on W/L ratio and it's so much harder to affect it. Haven't quite got my head around wn8 yet, I know its an amalgamation of stats and weightings to indicate your overall effectiveness, but I haven't worked out how to increase it or what goal I could/should set.

Bit of a TD king there Fenix ;)

winnerdave@breakthroughassault.co.uk

LW - Understrength Soviet Tankovy

Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:50 am
Profile WWW
Sergeant

Hangfire wrote:
Haven't quite got my head around wn8 yet, I know its an amalgamation of stats and weightings to indicate your overall effectiveness, but I haven't worked out how to increase it or what goal I could/should set.

Every iteration of WNx balances everything slightly differently to try and prevent stat padding (ie: previous iterations weighed kills and wins more heavily but those can be significantly manipulated by running lower tiers). This iteration is largely about how much damage you do in a vehicle versus a pre-determined value (# of spots, etc, also factors in a bit). IMHO try not to chase WNx... just surviving / keeping your gun firing / playing for the win will be better for you in the long run.

Quote:
Bit of a TD king there Fenix ;)

Yup, my most played tanks are the StuG, Jadgpanther, T67 & Hellcat though I have been being playing mostly mediums as of late.

Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:01 pm
Private

I found that, if all of your team go on one side, there is really no point in trying to go the other way alone.
What I do is either join the lemming train, hoping to quickly overwhelm the enemy flank or stay back at our base to defend it as long as I can.

But yeah, if I see half of my team dying in a matter of seconds, I pretty much mark the game as lost in my head, and since I´ve been playing japanse tanks lately, I go all "Banzai" and try to hurt the enemy as much as I can and die honorably :D

Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:16 pm
Sergeant

Trying to hold the flank by yourself is unenviable, I just looked at my stats on wotlabs.net and I am in the average category for a lot of stats, but man I get picked off a lot early in games, especially when I am an SPG. I'll have quite a few battles in a row with my artillery that I do nothing (Especially that godforsaken SU-122A, that thing stinks). I usually try to be a fireman when I am a TD and take out as many guys as possible before the wave invariably rolls over my team.

Building a 1944 Era Großdeutschland Panzer Grenadier Force! Shall be updated soon.

Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:42 am
Private

I find if you are defending a flank all alone, and you aren't in a top tier super-heavy, keeping the attacking force lit is what's important.
I've held a flank all by myself by really abusing the spotting/camo system. If you shoot you're sure to get spotted, so why not lay in wait on overwatch and let others shoot for you.

That might be all a little complicated though, I think the important thing to do when faced with a lemming train is not to yolo, keep your distance, and have an escape plan.

Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]