View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:49 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
campaign updates 
Major

I will update this post every few days.

The Axis Forces continue to hold strong.
Sant' Ambrogio was almost in allied hands when a strong axis showing somewhat reversed that.
All 3 points are set to fall, but the axis are putting up a tough fight!

Keep em coming guys!

Mon May 12, 2014 4:23 pm
Major

updated 5/14

Wed May 14, 2014 3:14 pm
Technical Sergeant

WWPDSteven wrote:
Sant' Ambrogio was almost in allied hands when a strong axis showing reversed that.
All 3 points are set to fall, but much later than the allies needed!

Keep em coming guys!

Is this the 5/14 update edited into the first post?

If so, that's a real buzzkill. Three days have elapsed and already "much later than the allies needed!"? What's that supposed to mean? Are you taunting?

You are running the campaign, playing axis, and have inside knowledge about the black box. Is your statement intended to diminish enthusiasm for allies playing the campaign?

Wed May 14, 2014 4:38 pm
Profile WWW
Major

I will be updating the main post to reflect the current state of affairs.

I also edited my comment about "much later than needed" since that isn't true (apologies- I made a quick update- firing from the hip!)- it's just that the allies had the edge and the last few reports have been very much in favor of the axis!

Quote:
You are running the campaign, playing axis, and have inside knowledge about the black box. Is your statement intended to diminish enthusiasm for allies playing the campaign?

Of course not, chillaxe my friend :) Just letting people know that the Axis have been stickin' it to the allies! If you think I am invested in the outcome of the campaign because I happen to be on the axis side, let me set that to bed. I truly don't care who wins, as long as it's a good fight!

Wed May 14, 2014 5:38 pm
Major

PrivateSnafu wrote:
WWPDSteven wrote:
Sant' Ambrogio was almost in allied hands when a strong axis showing reversed that.
All 3 points are set to fall, but much later than the allies needed!

Keep em coming guys!

Is this the 5/14 update edited into the first post?

If so, that's a real buzzkill. Three days have elapsed and already "much later than the allies needed!"? What's that supposed to mean? Are you taunting?

Steven is nicer than me, so - Rule #1.

Wed May 14, 2014 5:40 pm
Profile WWW
Technical Sergeant

If you think I'm being a dick then I am sorry.

I asked because Steven's post intimated that there is an automatic shift of territories at some point to keep the story going. If so, then there is less rush to get an AAR done to submit to a specific zone. Especially if a possible outcome is supplanted by a pre-determined one (such as the tenuous Normandy beaches). After only 3 days, it seemed rather quick that the allies had fallen behind enough to trigger set results.

Is there turns like a Firestorm? I think someone mentioned it updated more real time. If a 100 victories came in on a single territory at once would that change the territory that day? If so, is it conceivable for a side to race ahead multiple territories in successive days or to be stuck at one the whole campaign?

Wed May 14, 2014 6:53 pm
Profile WWW
Major

The allies can win by either: soundly defeating the axis on pure VPs. OR over time. realistically- a combination of the two.

100 battle reports submitted to one area would convert the location if the VPs were in the allied favor, else they would move it along quickly, but not guarantee it.

I will not be more specific about the system than this, so please don't ask :)

Wed May 14, 2014 7:10 pm
Major

Your post came off as dickish because of this:

Quote:

As if A- I were using my knowledge about the campaign system I created to give me an advantage (silly)

or B- to diminish enthusiasm and thus get people to not play in my campaign (also silly- why on earth would I do that?)

Wed May 14, 2014 7:12 pm
Major

As Steven has said, we wont go into too much detail. That said id like to explain a little. Our system is designed to represent the attrition of war. A point can be held indefinitely by the defenders (this time the Axis) but only if re-enforced (with victories). Otherwise it will slowly but surely fall to the attacker if the battles remain equal to represent supply issues, diminishing troops and defences slowly being taken out and weakened and finally for the decision from high command, that a point is becoming too costly to hold and to fall back to a stronger reinforced position. Of course if the battles are in the Attackers favour (This time the Allies), then they will win the point easily. The goal of the campaigns has never been to stop the attackers taking all ground, for one the attackers would grow bored and stop playing because they would feel like there is no progress. It has always been for the defenders to delay and ultimatly attempt to prevent the attackers from taking key objectives, in this case Rome.

The Allies had some tough points out of the gate (the scale of the pin represents its difficulty remember) but the fighting should ease up once they get past cassino and the likes. If I were Axis (and im not because im not participating in this campaign) I would focus my efforts on the tougher points because they will hold out longer, that also said no one wants to let any point fall too easily so the less defensible points shouldn't be ignored. The Allies WILL make progress, its up to both sides to decide how much.

Please also remember that our experience is only based off of our previous games (all two of them). We've tried to balance and improve the system every time we've done a new campaign, but it will continue to evolve.

“Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.”
― Albert Einstein

Wed May 14, 2014 8:16 pm
Profile WWW
First Sergeant

Lets move on - I'll be running a game Monday night with my Monte Cassino terrain I made a few years ago

FJ's vs US Armor (cause it's what I got painted!)

Anyone else got some Italy specific terrain to use?

http://lairoftheubergeek.blogspot.com/

Wed May 14, 2014 9:06 pm
Profile WWW
Major

Dude that looks awesome! Love the actually hilly, hills. So hard to recreate in a tabletop setting I bet that takes up a ton of space.

“Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.”
― Albert Einstein

Wed May 14, 2014 9:24 pm
Profile WWW
Technical Sergeant

WWPDSteven wrote:
Your post came off as dickish because of this:

Quote:

As if A- I were using my knowledge about the campaign system I created to give me an advantage (silly)

or B- to diminish enthusiasm and thus get people to not play in my campaign (also silly- why on earth would I do that?)

What I should have said was: "This comment is unclear to me and may have the unintended consequence of diminishing enthusiasm."

As I said I am sorry. Of course you are not trying to get an advantage or torpedo your our ship.

I was just frustrated that after 3 days it sounded like there was already some sort of default campaign event that would be implemented because people didn't get in enough reports in the opening days.

The Signal has now clarified that there is a default condition. If the Axis don't defend then things will automatically go to the Allies based on the historical retreat.

Wed May 14, 2014 9:31 pm
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 12 posts ]