View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Historicon Moving to New Jersey in 2018 
Private

Not a fan of moving things north to Somerset, NJ. I mean, I'll go, because, well it's Historicon. Seems like it will be making it hard for half of the east coast to get there however. Attendance this year was 2,336 so we will see if this goes up or down with the move.

Glenn

Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:51 am
Corporal

Any reason provided pertaining to the move?

Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:28 am
Profile WWW
First Sergeant

Money.

Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:06 pm
Corporal

I'm excited, I won't even need a hotel. My entire club of 12 folks will likely go since it is no longer an 8 to 10 hour ride away

Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:12 pm
Profile WWW
Staff Sergeant

Not any more ....

HMGS, Inc. Board of Directors

Update to the Membership, February 5, 2017

Although a membership update was distributed earlier, the Board has become aware of a new development that will affect HMGS’s convention plans for 2018. As previously announced, contracts are in place for all three conventions, at their current locations, for 2017. Cold Wars will be held in Lancaster, PA, Historicon in Fredericksburg, VA, and Fall-In! in Lancaster, PA. Nothing has changed for 2017 and we are looking forward to Cold Wars next month.

For 2018, HMGS had signed contracts in place for Historicon in Somerset, New Jersey, and the Board is in negotiations with the Lancaster Host for Cold Wars and Fall-In!

However, on Tuesday, January 24th, the Garden State Convention Center in Somerset, New Jersey informed us that the facility has been sold. Further, the new owner has announced plans to convert the facility to a computer data center. After June 2017, conventions will no longer be held there.

Since the use of the convention center was integral to our ability to hold Historicon in Somerset, the Board must now make alternate plans. All HMGS deposits for Historicon 2018 will be refunded.

In light of this new development, the Board contacted Fredericksburg and the Lancaster Host. HMGS already had contract proposals for one-year and three-year proposals from Fredericksburg, but needed to confirm that dates were still available. The Host was asked to provide the Board with proposals for similar one-year and three-year periods. HMGS received these offers from the Host January, 30th. As expected, the prices in the proposals have increased due to the renovation work being performed there.

In the days and weeks ahead, the Board will be considering all possible alternatives as well as their effects on the HMGS convention program.

We will continue to provide updates to the membership as new information becomes available.

Respectfully,

The HMGS, Inc. Board of Directors

Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:58 pm
Corporal

HCON 2108 will be at the Lancaster HOST.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:43 am
First Sergeant

SECfootball wrote:
Money.

From what I have heard from Cold War people, several important/key Historicon people live in NJ. To make life easier for them they orchestrated it to move to NJ. That also includes fudging attendance numbers to look like attendance is declining. This can be countered by the subjective view that vendors are making money and in spite of the large square footage, the place feels crowded.

So money is still a factor, but includes other monetary type factors.

Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]