View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:56 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ] 
Congrats German players! 
Staff Sergeant

Well, i humbly tip my hat to you and unholster my webley revolver and place it on your desk ( ammo crate )
Please accept my salute and thank you for a jolly-good fight!
well played old-man!
now were is the officer's mess and tent?
will there be a film tonight?
anything starring Brigitte Helm perhaps?

Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:54 am
Technical Sergeant

Thanks, Grumpus! I didn't think we would do it, especially a couple of weeks ago when you guys seemed to break out everywhere. I wondered why there wasn't a greater push towards Cherbourg earlier?

Oh, and I love the Life in Hell avatar.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:11 pm
Private

I wondered that, we seemed to stop after cutting off the Cotentin! Well done to the German players and thanks to all involved in a very memorable event!

Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:54 pm
Private First Class

Had a great time in my first campaign, but as far as the "strategic" situation went, I was lost.

I kept rough track of wins/losses in batches of batreps as they came in, but didn't link them to specific sectors and often people didn't ID the sectors they were fighting in in their batreps.

Those conditions, coupled with the fact that we didn't know what was required to take, defend, or counter attack a sector meant that I pretty much focused on our group's individual games. We weren't even very concerned in our battles with picking sectors that were important. The couple of times we tried, those sectors were closed out right before we played or right before we posted our batrep and we had to assign the battle elsewhere. Other times we just went with sectors that made sense with the forces and terrain we had to play with.

I went back and looked at some of the Sealion stuff - it seems like in that campaign there was more of an effort by the invaders to generate some kind of specific strategies.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:26 pm
Private

Was a great campaign and fun too.

But I got the feelings due to the fact that alot of players played semi-historical whe might had not enough americans or brits helping the americans arround Cherbourg and St.Lo.
Poor yanks had to go for 2 Goals.
Seemd most british players focused arround Caen then the othe goals?

Is there any statistic showing how many US games were made and how many Commonwealth?

Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:26 pm
Technical Sergeant

I had problems with some sites closing down after researching missions or tables to play on. That was a bit aggrevating.

I will agree that the objectives could've been promoted more. I know they didn't want anyone to game the system, but they didn't talk clear enough about the objectives. It also would've been neat to have seperate forums for both sides to talk strategy.

I would love to see some statstics on it. Which areas were the most fought over? Who had the best scoring average? Where did one side to exceptionally well? Who had the most battle reports, etc?

Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:28 pm
Staff Sergeant

thats a neat idea, to have a 'secret' forum for each group to talk amongst themselves. y'know, like coffee tawk.
I wonder what the next campaign will be?
Eastfront?
North Africa?
Market Garden?
I really am going to like the Market Garden campaign.
regardless i can't wait!

Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:59 pm
Major

Thanls guys, glad you enjoyed it!
Sorry if the objectives were a bit unclear- we tried to make them obvious on the map, but perhaps didn't communicate enough. I will take responsibility for that- this whole move thing started taking place right in the midst of the campaign!

At the end of the day, we hope everyone had some fun games out of it!

Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:50 pm
Major

heychadwick wrote:
I had problems with some sites closing down after researching missions or tables to play on. That was a bit aggrevating.

I will agree that the objectives could've been promoted more. I know they didn't want anyone to game the system, but they didn't talk clear enough about the objectives. It also would've been neat to have seperate forums for both sides to talk strategy.

I would love to see some statstics on it. Which areas were the most fought over? Who had the best scoring average? Where did one side to exceptionally well? Who had the most battle reports, etc?

I think next time the Objectives should get a different icon to the rest of the points, that was me dropping the ball. Still this is an ever evolving system so I will know for next time.

The Objectives were mentioned in several of the instructional posts but perhaps they got lost once the campaign begun, again something ill make a note of for next time.

We have discussed separate forums for each side before however its impractical as people sometimes need/want to change sides depending on their opponent. That can lead to cheating (intentionally or not). However it is something we will still consider for next time and will probably become more and more likley as the system becomes more advanced.

Stats are comming, but I need a few days to relax and recover in order to get them in order, we also still hve to sort out the v1 pack data to send off.

One thing I felt I wish I had put in as the campaign progressed was a way to view all bat reps on a point not just the featured ones. Specific Stats on each point will never happen, simply because we believe if people can tell exactly how many many points one side needs to win the point the other side will game it, making for a very static game. We like the temperature gauge we had here, people could see a point was falling or solidly held but wasn't sure exactly what it would take to win, just like a real CO you wont really get the full picture, thats for the higher ups to know. We will refine that and make our next attempt give a bit more feedback.

Unfortunately someone *cough*Battlefront*cough* Decided to go ahead and have the cheek of hiring my wingman for the campaign right smack bang in the middle of it without hiring me! So there are a few medals still to hand out and allot of data to sort through because the crazy amount of batreps (83 average a week) basically means I got to read a small percentage. So people should keep watching the site and we will have some statistics and a few more post campaign medals and reports going up soon... after i sleep. Wonderful magnificent sleep.

“Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.”
― Albert Einstein

Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:11 pm
Profile WWW
Major

Grumpus wrote:
thats a neat idea, to have a 'secret' forum for each group to talk amongst themselves. y'know, like coffee tawk.
Eastfront?
North Africa?
Market Garden?
regardless i can't wait!

Who said the next Campaign was going to be WW2... or even Flames of War.

“Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.”
― Albert Einstein

Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:14 pm
Profile WWW
Technical Sergeant

Mister_Pink wrote:

I think you need to blame Jokull for that. He released Firestorm Caen right around the time Overlord Campaign started, so lots of groups probably did both. I know our group did! And I'm sure my performance was a vital contribution to Allied progress in the area.

What we me fighting on the German side and everything...

Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:36 pm
Major

Monasier wrote:
Mister_Pink wrote:

I think you need to blame Jokull for that. He released Firestorm Caen right around the time Overlord Campaign started, so lots of groups probably did both. I know our group did! And I'm sure my performance was a vital contribution to Allied progress in the area.

What we me fighting on the German side and everything...

It was almost as if it was planned! Almost!

― Albert Einstein

Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:39 pm
Profile WWW
Sergeant

First off thanks again Steve and Arran, great work again guys! Also grats to the Boche! Well fought, but Uncle Joe will be knocking on the back door soon I'm sure.

The main objectives were a bit unclear, it wasn't untill later on in the campaign that I realised we needed the cities to win. And as I was running Brits I kept posting around Caen a bit too long I think. We Allies could of communicated with each other a bit better too. :D Great fun all round though! :D

Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:58 pm
Technical Sergeant

[quote="TheSignal"]
Stats are comming, but I need a few days to relax and recover in order to get them in order, we also still hve to sort out the v1 pack data to send off.

One thing I felt I wish I had put in as the campaign progressed was a way to view all bat reps on a point not just the featured ones. Specific Stats on each point will never happen, simply because we believe if people can tell exactly how many many points one side needs to win the point the other side will game it, making for a very static game. We like the temperature gauge we had here, people could see a point was falling or solidly held but wasn't sure exactly what it would take to win, just like a real CO you wont really get the full picture, thats for the higher ups to know. We will refine that and make our next attempt give a bit more feedback.
[quote]

Oh, I agree that we shouldn't know what's going on mid campaign. My talk of looking forward to the stats of the campaign is more post-campaign. I just think it will be interesting to see just how close some things were and how it might be the opposite for some. :D

Great job, guys! Anything I say is only constructive. I don't mean to criticise the awesome work you guys have done. I highly appreciated the whole thing and it kept me occupied while my job is slow.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:03 pm
Private First Class

Grumpus wrote:
Eastfront?
North Africa?
Market Garden?
regardless i can't wait!

Market Garden would be my first choice, but Ostfront would be great - a lot of people would probably need to proxy for Soviets, though. US as Soviet infantry and Cromwells proxied as T-34s?

Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:31 am
Staff Sergeant

so maybe not WW2, not FoW even?
perhaps its going to be Saga?
that would be great as i've recently decided to make some Skraelings.
@Steve,
Thanks for the battles , vacation is fun but i can't wait to roll some dice :)

Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:38 am
Staff Sergeant

And a hearty, thick and juicy thank you to Steve and Aran and anyone else who helped make this happen!
so say we all!
:D
beers-beers-beers!

Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:04 am
Technical Sergeant

I only got one game in, but it was a blast! 8-)

Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:41 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 18 posts ]