View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:50 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Operation Overlord FAQ - Please Read! 
Major

HOW DO I SIGN UP?
Head over to http://overlord.wwpd.net and scroll down till you see a big red register now button!

Q. Are lists restricted to the new D-Day Books?
A. No, not exactly. But lists should be fairly historical. We are lenient. Any published BF lists that make sense in Normandy are good to go. If you make a list that uses all equipment that was available in Normandy, you're in the green. If you don't know if your list is valid, assume it isn't if it can't be found in the D-Day Compilation books.

Q. What if I don't own the D-Day books, will this list from book X be allowed?
A. First of all why not? This IS a D-Day campaign after all. Unless you know your history, a good guide to go by is if its not in Atlantic wall, Overlord, Earth and steel or Turning tides, then you probably can't play it, all equipment used should have been available between June and September 1944. If your unsure, check these books, even if this means buying them or borrowing them from a friend. You can also find a list of the forces availible here:

http://www.flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Do ... Forces.pdf
and
http://www.flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Do ... Forces.pdf

Q. Do I have to have a WWPD forum account?
No, but we would like you to, we're real nice to strangers.

Q. Is this login account the same as my WWPD forum account?
No.

Q. Will there be medals this time around?
A. Yes, but they will be a bit more difficult to receive. We will also ensure they have a permanent link so you can keep them in your forum signature forever.

Q. Will we have to register for a side like last year?
A. No, you can change sides if you like, but whats the point in fighting your own progress?

Q. Is this in the same time continuum- history of Sealion last year, or is this more historical?
A. As much I love the idea of advancing the 'WWPDverse' started with Sea Lion, this is a historical campaign. Gotta scratch both itches!

Q. Is this an official "Flames of War" Campaign?
A. This campaign was sponsored by Battlefront as a marketing effort for their new D-Day Compilations. But WWPD is running the campaign. Is that official enough for ya?

Q. Battlefront compensated you guys to run this campaign?
A. Yes. This is a test run of a service model we've been working on. Our campaign system is still in ongoing development, but we'd like to offer these types of campaigns to other game companies as a way to tie together online communities. The timing worked out perfectly and so we were keen to tie this in with Battlefront's marketing campaign for their new D-Day compilation!

Q. So do I have to use Battlefront only models?
A. No. Use cardboard cutouts for all we care- just play some games of Flames of War! But keep in mind that Battlefront did sponsor this campaign so if you like it- please let them and us know! You also wont get featured on the Battlefront website.

Q. Does my opponent have to be signed up to be included in a battle report?
A. No, not really. But wouldn't it be more fun if he was!

Q. I am running a Normandy themed tournament/event- can we log all of our games at once?
A. The submission form is for a single battle, so because it would be so tedious to log them all, feel free to email me or Arran with a list of tabulated results and we can enter the information into the database directly. Please include player names and Overlord Logins where possible!

Q. Is there a maximum number of battle reports I can turn in?
A. No, but if you spam one every single day, we reserve the right to ask you to take a chill pill.

Q. The allies lost more games in a location than the axis, and still captured it! What gives??
A. This campaign is a race against time for the Germans. The allies have overwhelming numbers. Our games represent the tactical engagements, that only give a taste of the strategic situation. Theoretically, the allies can capture a location after earning nothing but 1-6s... BUT it would take a really long time, buying the Germans plenty of time to hold until the campaign ends. The Germans supply routs were being pounded heavily by the Allies, eventually the supply's in an area will run out and the Germans will move back to a stronger position. They win by preventing the Allies reaching Cherbourge, Cean and St-Lo.

Q. Do we have to play Flames of War, or will some other game suffice?
A. Yes, this is a Flames of War event.

Q. Whats the points limit for battles?
A. Anything you like. Some people like to play Infantry/Tank aces campaigns, starting with low points and working up to large battles.

Q. What Scenarios can we play?
A. Anything you like. But some people might want to match their scenarios to the points current status.

Q. How do I post my Batrep?
A.
  1. To post a batrep you need to start a new thread in the Operation Overlord Sub Forum (or another forum or your own blog), Write up your report, post any images and submit.
  2. Then you need to Copy the URL.
  3. Go to the Operation Overlord main site overlord.wwpd.net
  4. 30th June+ the Overlord site will have switched over into Campaign mode, where you can log in.
  5. Click the point you wish to attack, follow the on screen instructions and paste in your Batrep URL, hit submit and your done.
  6. Fight your next battle.

Q. If my opponent has signed up, do we both fill out the form?
A. No, one form per battle please, so we do not get duplicates.

Q. We want to play a 4v4 game or a 2v2 game, is this possible?
A. Yes! Please do, but when submitting the batrep place a "," between each username in the username field.

Q. Whats in the Battlefront Reward pack?
A. At time of writing, its going to be a V1 Rocket sprue + Camera man and a Scientist, but this could change.

Q. Theres an error on my form can you fix it?
Yes but you need to provide your Operation Overlord Username and the name of map pin it was submitted to.

Q. How do I fill out the form?
Page 1

Your Operation Overlord Username*: Simple enough, the same username you signed in with. You will want to ensure you enter it correctly.

Nationality*: This is a drop down with Germany, UK, US and Canada. This is your armies nationality not your own.

Your Army*: The written name of your army as it appears in your army book.

Page 2

Opponents Username: This is not a required entry, if your opponent dosnt have a username no worries, but why the hell not! It takes 30 seconds to sign up.

Opponents Nationality*: As with above the nationality of your opponents army.

Opponents Army*: The written name of your opponents army as it appears in your army book.

Page 3

Victory points*: Radial buttons, Axis 1-6, Allies 1-6. The points at the end of the battle.

Draw?*: Was the game a draw? Yes or no option.

Battle Report URL*: The location on the web you have posted the battle-report so we can review it and ensure its valid. This Must Be Unique! If you are posting in a forum that means a unique thread for each battlereport, on a blog a new article. If you submit a bad/duplicate URL your batrep will be deleted from the system automatically and you may lose out on the campaign rewards.

Submit.
Q: What should I do if I am missing a Batrep I posted?
A. Post your question here.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ASK ANY ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS BELOW!

Sat May 25, 2013 12:39 am
Staff Sergeant

So then it would be perfectly fine for us to use the Volkstrum.
Also would the American lists from the BUlge series, lists would not be usible? 2 IN (BGG) or the 101st from nuts?
Grey Wolf SS iv PAnzer corps or BElgeit be fine to play?

I imagaine a few of theese will not be usible but i wanted a few players in my group toi know.

Sun May 26, 2013 1:53 pm
Profile WWW
Major

It's not up to me, as much as it is up to your opponents, but sure!

Just remember a lot of the options weren't available in Normandy... Chaffees, late war AT stats for the US... assault rifles in large numbers for the Germans.

Sun May 26, 2013 7:18 pm
Major

To be clear, we aren't gonna answer any more "is this list okay?" questions- it's a Normandy campaign. We'll leave it up to you all to play something appropriate!

Sun May 26, 2013 8:56 pm
Private

Quick one, didn't get a chance to play in Sea Lion, so I am new to the reporting process. Am I waiting for a "identification" number/tag to come to my e-mail to pass to my opponent or am I just to use my user name?

Sorry if this is old to most people but I am a bit technically challenged and a bit out of practice with my "global domination battle reporting" proceedures. Last one I did was a Canadian only Battle of Medusa from "the company that will not be named" when they acctually had stores and a Canadian HQ Office, so that is quite some time ago. (BTs where the newest army release .... wow I am feeling the years :shock: )

Thanks for answering the easy ones.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:33 am
First Sergeant

To head Steven off at the pass (and perhaps take something off his plate) you'll be filling in your name, your army name, the location on the map, the results, your opponents name, his force, and a link to the URL of your battle report. AT LEAST: thats what we did for Sealion.

Feel free to tell me to stifle it if you wanted this to be strictly a moderator response thread.

ImageImage

Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:36 am
Major

ArbatheHutt wrote:
To head Steven off at the pass (and perhaps take something off his plate) you'll be filling in your name, your army name, the location on the map, the results, your opponents name, his force, and a link to the URL of your battle report. AT LEAST: thats what we did for Sealion.

Feel free to tell me to stifle it if you wanted this to be strictly a moderator response thread.

The form will hopefully be very simple to use. The form is broken down into pages, with just a few options on each to explain each one and to ensure each is filled out appropriately. But the fields will be as follows with requiired fields marked with "*":

Page 1

Your Operation Overlord Username*: Simple enough, the same username you signed in with. You will want to ensure you enter it correctly.

Nationality*: This is a drop down with Germany, UK, US and Canada. This is your armies nationality not your own.

Your Army*: The written name of your army as it appears in your army book.

Page 2

Opponents Username: This is not a required entry, if your opponent dosnt have a username no worries, but why the hell not! It takes 30 seconds to sign up.

Opponents Nationality*: As with above the nationality of your opponents army.

Opponents Army*: The written name of your opponents army as it appears in your army book.

Page 3

Victory points*: Radial buttons, Axis 1-6, Allies 1-6. The points at the end of the battle.

Draw?*: Was the game a draw? Yes or no option.

Battle Report URL*: The location on the web you have posted the battle-report so we can review it and ensure its valid. This Must Be Unique! If you are posting in a forum that means a unique thread for each battlereport, on a blog a new article.

Submit.

That looks like alot of options but its really fast to fill in and gives us all the info we need to ensure that the bat-reps are attributed correctly.

ImageImage
View my new Blog

Don't be a Dick!

Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:03 pm
Profile WWW
First Sergeant

Not to be that guy, but shouldn't French be added to that list of nationalities? I am playing them, should I just count them as another nation?

ImageImage

Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:48 pm
Technical Sergeant

And likewise Poles! Not that I expect anyone to run them, but still...

Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:18 pm
Major

ArbatheHutt wrote:
Not to be that guy, but shouldn't French be added to that list of nationalities? I am playing them, should I just count them as another nation?

Just put them under UK or canada, the whole site is setup now I apologize but we didnt think of that at the time. Just list them as free french or free poles in the army listing.

ImageImage
View my new Blog

Don't be a Dick!

Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:22 pm
Profile WWW
First Sergeant

I'll file them under Canada, have to support our nation's hat after all. :)

And no worries, no one gets everything right all the time. What were the odds that someone would choose to play such a minor nation given the vast number of lists out there for the major ones.

ImageImage

Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:26 pm
Major

ArbatheHutt wrote:

And no worries, no one gets everything right all the time. What were the odds that someone would choose to play such a minor nation given the vast number of lists out there for the major ones.

Knowing the WWPD community... 1:1 odds... really I should have included it.

ImageImage
View my new Blog

Don't be a Dick!

Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:30 pm
Profile WWW
First Sergeant

TheSignal wrote:
ArbatheHutt wrote:

Knowing the WWPD community... 1:1 odds... really I should have included it.

Touche

ImageImage

Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:33 pm
Captain

Monasier wrote:
And likewise Poles! Not that I expect anyone to run them, but still...

Challenge accepted.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:11 am
Staff Sergeant

If my opponent has signed up, do we both fill out the form?

Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:00 pm
Staff Sergeant

If my opponent has signed up, do we both fill out the form?

Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:01 pm
Major

Nope- just one of you. Either/or :) You will be able to enter both players' usernames though!

Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:58 pm
Private

Just the case we play a multi-player game, how do we fill the username to include all the players registered?

And also, is there any problem with "alternative" history for running our games? (i.e. scattered paras behind Omaha Beach)

Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:51 am
Major

sirlera wrote:
Just the case we play a multi-player game, how do we fill the username to include all the players registered?

And also, is there any problem with "alternative" history for running our games? (i.e. scattered paras behind Omaha Beach)

Multiplayer games just put a "," between each name. Really large games or firestorm campaigns you can email directly.

For the first week all drop/landing zones will be historic, after that its up to the players where they go, The map areas vary in size, but the zones which are Utah and Carentan cover most of the area where the US dropped their Paras.

ImageImage
View my new Blog

Don't be a Dick!

Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:00 pm
Profile WWW
Major

Let me put it like this:

We don't care what batreps you submit as long as its Normandy. If you ASK us, we're gonna tell you to play historical games. If you submit a batrep that's allies attacking Germans in Normandy, we aren't gonna ignore it. Word?

Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:15 pm
Private

Hi,

I've never used Blogs or anything like that before, so I have no idea how this all works - how exactly do you submit battle reports?

I guess we'll be able to submit once the campaign starts in earnest?

Apologies for my ignorance.

Regards,

- Peter

1st Caledonian Mechanised Division
'Gang Forrit'

Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:37 am
Major

1. To post a batrep you need to start a new thread in the Operation Overlord Sub Forum, Write up your report, post any images and submit, much like you did to post a reply here.
  2. Then you need to Copy the URL.
  3. Go to the Operation Overlord main site overlord.wwpd.net
  4. 30th June the Overlord site will have switched over into Campaign mode, where you can log in.
  5. Click the point you wish to attack, follow the on screen instructions and paste in your Batrep URL, hit submit and your done.
  6. Fight your next battle.

ImageImage
View my new Blog

Don't be a Dick!

Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:15 pm
Profile WWW
Private

I fully realize that this is a total newbie post, but I want to make sure I am understanding this correctly as I have never played in this kind of world wide game before. Do I simply choose a place I want to simulate (like Omaha Beach), play out the game, and then submit the battle report? Do I get to pick whatever scenario I want to play, or are there limits to this? I guess, I'm a little unclear on how I decide what scenarios to play...sorry for the ignorance!

Thanks! I'm excited to get our FOW club at Draxtar Games in Batavia Illinois playing!

Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:10 pm
Major

phillydomer wrote:
I fully realize that this is a total newbie post, but I want to make sure I am understanding this correctly as I have never played in this kind of world wide game before. Do I simply choose a place I want to simulate (like Omaha Beach), play out the game, and then submit the battle report? Do I get to pick whatever scenario I want to play, or are there limits to this? I guess, I'm a little unclear on how I decide what scenarios to play...sorry for the ignorance!

Thanks! I'm excited to get our FOW club at Draxtar Games in Batavia Illinois playing!

You are correct, you can play any points level and any scenario, you might want to adjust your scenarios depending on how the battles are going in that region at the time, but that is totally optional and down to you and your group.

I personally, will be adjusting my battles to reflect the way the battle is going in that region. However battles don't have to reflect the way the war is going, WW2 battles were fluid, just because the axis might be winning the war dosn't have to mean the allies are on the defensive on the company level. What im trying to say is, in far too many words, do what you like.

We do ask that boards reflect the area you are attacking, If there's a battle in a town it doesn't have to be a huge town board, we know most people can't field that sort of table, your battle can take place on the outskirts of the town, perhaps over an important road, with just a few buildings. The zones around the beaches are large enough too that a battle could be inland. What im saying is, were pretty flexible aslong as the battle fits the region. As suggestions we have toned the map to suggest what sort of terrain there is in each region, but they are just that, suggestions. You can do as little or as much as you like to reflect the location.

ImageImage
View my new Blog

Don't be a Dick!

Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:30 am
Profile WWW
Major

Updated the FAQ.

ImageImage
View my new Blog

Don't be a Dick!

Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:10 am
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next