View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Need a hand with Arab-Israeli lists 
Private

I want to take advantage of the big sale this month and order a rulebook and 2 armies but I have no idea what to order army-wise.

What would you suggest?

Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:35 pm
Staff Sergeant

Anybody in your area play AIW already? If so, ask them 1) what forces are under-represented, and 2) what kind of battles do they normally play, and at what point level.

Locally, more folks had Israeli forces so I chose an Arab force. I had some Soviet modern tanks and transports from VN already so went for UAR. I also found that AIW players here tend to play in group games almost exclusively and focus on Fair-Fight-type tank battles at about 1200 points (plus/minus depending on how many people show up).

Whether you'll be the first AIW player in your area or not, your money goes farther with Israelis because they cost a lot of points per unit. UAR, at Confident Conscript, requires lots of tanks and stands to field. Jordanians, at Confident Trained, fall in the middle. In a game last weekend, my Israeli opponent had, IIRC, 11 tanks on the board, while my UAR tank force had 36 tanks (T-54s and T-34/85s).

Looks like AIW is in line to get TY-type rules, which is good rule-wise, and it might encourage more people to give AIW a try. Good luck!

Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:58 pm
Private

Nobody plays in the area, Im hoping to get FOW off the ground in the future. This would be just for me.

I will be ordering the rulebook at the same time, so thats why I was asking

Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:49 pm
Staff Sergeant

Ok, starting out--and trying to get somebody else onboard--I'd recommend a tank force for each side. Cheaper monetary cost for the points, easier to learn with, easier for a potential convert to try out.

You'll want an Israeli force and either a UAR or Jordanian force (latter is cheaper). Depending on how much you want to spend:
1200-1250 points each side,
HQ tanks, plus two platoons of tanks
AA platoon
Jet for each (because they're really cool!)

That would be a good base force. At 1500 points, I'd add a mech platoon for each side but that will be pricier (inf and vehicles). We rarely use artillery in our group but there's a rule for other parts of FOW where you take (and pay for) artillery but it's off-board. Only an observer would be seen on the board. More realistic, and cheaper too!

Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]