View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Carnation 
Staff Sergeant

I'm going to give the Soviet Carnation artillery a shot. I got thinking about this after hearing some suggestions about applying a smoke bombardment before advancing T-72s into the sights of whatever M1s are about. If they can get a bead on some NATO AA or other support, they'd be effective at that job too I think. I can see them being valuable if you run into some dug-in West German or BAOR infantry as well. Has anyone tried this unit yet?

Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:33 pm
Profile WWW
First Sergeant

I can't say that I have. There are base level questions about artillery in the game. You may find you get better results with other weapon systems. While the topic comes up, the BMP swarm does work and is effective.

Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:40 pm
Profile WWW
Technical Sergeant

The smoke bombardment is best applied close to your guys in most cases.

They are actually pretty effective in direct fire. After my carnation experience, I consider the Abbott a better choice for BAOR than the 109.

Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:43 am
First Sergeant

UndergroundWarren wrote:
The smoke bombardment is best applied close to your guys in most cases.

They are actually pretty effective in direct fire. After my carnation experience, I consider the Abbott a better choice for BAOR than the 109.

My understanding of thermal imagining is that because it ignores the +1, the 6" LOS is the most important factor. So you really want to have that line closer to the middle. After all of your movement orders you still want to be over 6" from the smoke. Too close to your opponent and they get the benefit, too close to you and again they get the benefit.

Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:11 pm
Technical Sergeant

I thought the 6" was total range. If two tanks are 7" apart, it doesn't matter where the smoke is so long as all LOS is blocked.

Am I wrong?

Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:56 pm
Staff Sergeant

Right, Smoke works like tall terrain in regards to LOS. if you slap it down on top of or just in of a M1 unit they can only see 6" until they move forward.

Carnation made an appearance at the last event I was in. They weren't super effective, but if I had a shit turn of rolling saves they would have deleted 3-4 tanks due to some unavoidable crowding. I am happy that I picked some up. They will make the table from time to time.

Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:10 pm
Profile WWW
First Sergeant

UndergroundWarren wrote:
I thought the 6" was total range. If two tanks are 7" apart, it doesn't matter where the smoke is so long as all LOS is blocked.

Am I wrong?

I understand it as if the unit has TI they can ignore smoke that is with in 6" of them. They can ignore smoke within 6" of the opponent. If it is beyond 6" from a target, then they LOS blocked.

Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:49 pm
Corporal

no, the 6" range is max visibility if you are observing through it. TI just removes the +1 to hit when observing through smoke.

As for the carnations....every time. Smoke, AA, (think about hitting a unit of Redeye teams prior to attacking with Hinds). 5pts for one battery is equal to 1 T72, which you will save in one turn by dropping smoke in front of NATO AT missile systems or armour.

Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:33 pm
First Sergeant

Arty is big YES! For the Soviets. Its great at ground mount missile suppression the BOAR and Germans can throw at you. Pin them no missile shots.

Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]