View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
TY - Russian Camo on Tanks 
Corporal

Hi

one for the cold war rivet counters out there and/or the cold war vets ;)

When I saw the the pic of the upcoming East German T-55s I realised that I know nothing about Eastern block AFV camo in the 80's. All my rivet counting skills are focussed on WW2 :)

So what I would like to know is when did the Russians (in Europe/Germany) and the other Warsaw Pact countries start camoing their AFVs? Was is restricted to a certain time and/or vehicles? and lastly what colours, I am assuming green, gray and black and that this would more prevalent on MBTs than armoured transports or SP AA, SP arty etc?

The first I am aware of modern era Russian AFVs being camoed is in Afghanistan. All the pics I have seen of mid 80's AFVs have them in the standard green.

Cheers

Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:00 am
Sergeant

Most (not all) were just painted standard green as they were to advance and "speed was their camouflage"

camouflage was more widely used in Afghanistan.

Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:00 am
Sergeant

As your question included WarPac countries, the NVA didn't camo their tanks until the late 80s, just shortly before going out of business (so to speak). BF acknowledges that the the camo scheme they use in the Volksarmee book is not correct for the 1985 setting, but admit that they went for the "cool" look.

I painted all my NVA in the East German-specific olive green (RAL 6003), which is available in Vallejo's Model Air line.

[I am a Cold War vet, but not in the Army. In the event of war, I figured my chances were better as an Ensign on a ship (next to, and no more at risk than the Captain) than they would have been stuck out in the front lines as a 2d Lt.!]

Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:45 pm
Staff Sergeant

I've seen plates of the traditional Soviet green with black camo over. No idea how common this was, but it is a way I am planning on breaking some units out of the norm.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:37 pm
Profile WWW
Sergeant

You can probably get away with almost anything you want. I could see Russian tankers applying quick mud camouflage to their AFVs when the shooting started.

Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:06 pm
Private

Was in the former DDR in 91 and saw a T-80B on MAZ transporter. It was the usual soviet green with the three digit vehicle number in white.

Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:32 am
Staff Sergeant

Ammo by Mig Jimenez has some info on their site as well as a book for sale.

They do take liberties by taking schemes seen in a single photo which may not have ever been on another vehicle, but they have some that were more popular.

Also, they sell great paint.

Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]