View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 4:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
The September Campaign: Translated army manual released 
First Sergeant

This thread will be the hub on the internet for all discussion, FAQ notes, news and download links regarding the September Campaign. There simply is no better Flames of War community on the internet for this sort of thing :-)
--------------
This work is a non-profit project, if you however want to donate a symbolic sum to support this and future projects you can donate to my Paypal account (found in the related blog posts. That is also my contact email if you have any questions regarding the content, in which case put "September Campaign" in your email title.
--------------

Information about the books available:

The September Campaign v.2.1.2 is a nonprofit free downloadable supplement for Flames of War v.3.

The book will be a "living" resource, meaning that updated versions will be published if needed and a FAQ document will be maintained.

The book includes 4 armies, 13 Polish lists and 4 Polish characters, 15 German lists and 2 German characters, 3 Slovak lists and 5 Soviet lists. Not all army lists are "competition material", but a majority of the lists should work for tournaments and organized play if you wish to use them that way.

The second part, "Poland in Flames" is a historical campaign book containing 70 scenarios and 16 operations taking place during the invasion of Poland in September 1939.

Players will be able to play battles and operations through the point of view of Polish, German, Soviet and Slovak armies.

The book also includes historical background about each battle and operation, historical background on important commanders and decisions, maps showing troop movements and mini maps of Poland so that players can get a general idea of the geographical location where the battle is fought.

The "September Campaign + Poland in Flames compilation" includes as the name suggests both books in one PDF volume as originally intended. It also includes the Soldier Memories appendix material.

"Soldier memories from the September campaign" is a collection of transcribed and translated interviews with Polish September Campaign veterans from the Polish documentary series “Wrzesień 1939”. The interview approach in that series was similar to that of Band of Brothers, each documentary episode was about a specific event or battle, and the veterans talked about their own experiences, ranging from combat to funny anecdotes, all very interesting and something I didn't want the English audience to miss out on. Thus I transcribed, translated and compiled all the interviews in one file and organized the interview material in order so that each soldier had his own section.

"Polish army manual for infantry": My translation of the Polish army manual for infantry, dating 1934, on which the Polish infantry units based their training and tactics.

It's particularly interesting for wargamers looking for proper representation of the Polish army during the late interwar period and during the September Campaign of 1939. As far as I know there is no previously translated work dealing with small unit tactics readily available, much of the information on the Polish army on the internet deals only with equipment and the tables of organizations while sometimes reaching as far down as platoon level have not been able to provide proper information on how the Polish troops actually worked.

This army manual is an abridged version concentrated down to around 60 pages out of the original 120. I have left out the drill instructions and all that information that doesn't have anything to do with actual combat. While I understand those parts too would have been interesting for re-enactment groups I simply do not have the time and energy to translate parts that aren't going to be used by the intended target audience - who are wargamers and rule writers.

Those interested should find everything they need to know about company, platoon and team composition. How units acted together and on their own. How the platoon was split up in teams and how the teams acted as a whole or how they could be divided into smaller groups of soldiers depending on the situation and tactical need.

You can read more about it and find the download link from where you can download this translation for free over at my blog.

DOWNLOAD LINKS
Link to my blog where you can download the Full Color and Printer friendly version of the current version 2.1.2:
http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.se/201 ... rs-of.html

Link to my blog where you can download "Poland in Flames" in both full color and printer friendly format:
http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.se/201 ... paign.html

Link to the September Campaign + Poland in flames compilation volume
http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.se/201 ... lames.html

Firestorm Campaign map download
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-NJ3YL ... F4MUk/edit

Firestorm Campaign v.1.1 document download
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-NJ3YL ... pDWEE/edit

Soldier memories from the September Campaign
http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.se/201 ... paign.html

Polish army manual for infantry
http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.se/201 ... l-for.html

REVIEW LINKS
Link to review of September Campaign v.2 Orders of Battle book
http://frozengamerak.blogspot.se/2012/0 ... paign.html

Version 2.00-> 2.1 changelog

All nations
Rifle/MG teams are now all RoF2 and not RoF 1
Staff teams for all nations now fire as rifle teams. They still move as heavy guns though.
…………………………………………………………………………………………………
Polish changes

Warsaw City Defense HQ tank company now has the page number for Piechoty AT gun platoon on its OoB sheet.
KOP HMG companies can now combat attach machine-gun platoons to KOP (infantry) platoons.
Border Protection Corps can now include Bunker sections (also featured in the Polish Arsenal).
(14/09/12) Vickers Tank company can now upgrade one of its platoons to include up to 5 Vickers A (Twin turret tank) outside of the 3 Vickers B 2 Vickers A platoon restriction.

Polish Arsenal

Polish wz.06 65mm Mountain gun now has FP 6+ in bombardment not 5+.
Polish Armored Train,
Heavy Artillery car,
75mm gun now has FP 6+ in bombardment not 5+
100mm gun now has FP 4+ in bombardment not 5+
Previously the 5+ suggested the ”combined bombardment” FP value of both guns. But since the Polish train now can have one turret knocked out and still fire bombardments with a lone gun turret there is a good reason to keep the values separate.
Slovak changes
----
Slovak Arsenal

Slovak 75mm vz.36 guns now have FP 6+ in bombardment not 5+.
Slovak 15cm vz.25 bombardment is now 2+ not 6+
German changes
Schützen, Infanterie, Gebirgsjäger HMG sections can now combat attach to infantry platoons.
(15/09/12)German Pz38t tanks now have the right page reference in their OoB sheet on page 125 (to page 126 and not 136).
(20/09/12) Fixed a typo on page 122 Panzer III platoon where you upgraded Pz III A/B/C tanks to PzIV D/E. This was of course meant to be Pz III D/E.

German Arsenal
The Pz35t name was listed twice , even though the later line had the stats for the Pz 38t.
German train AA MG is now RoF 3 just like the Polish train AA MG.
PZIVA and PZIVB-C have 7.5 cm guns, not 3.7cm

Page 148 Schützen HMG platoon now has points in its profile.
Soviet changes
82mm BM37 platoon reduced to 4 guns.
120mm Obr.38 mortar is reduced to 4 guns. And now also has a point cost listed in its entry.
Cavalry 76mm Howitzer platoon increased from 2 to 3 guns.
Cavalry Regiment can now include an Anti-aircraft platoon as divisional support
Cavalry regiment is now increased to 5 cavalry squadrons. Cavalry platoons have no integral HMG’s.
Cavalry HMG squadron now have 5 platoons. HMG platoons may be combat attached to a single Cavalry platoon in every Cavalry Squadron
Rifle Battalion Anti tank gun company with 6 AT guns has been reduced to platoon with 2 guns.
Rifle Battalion 76mm howitzer is now is increased from 2 gun platoon to 6 gun company.
Rifle Battalion no longer has 76mm AT guns as divisional support.
Rifle company and Motorized Rifle company now have the option to upgrade with Light Mortar teams. The single platoon HMG has been replaced with the option of upgrading a single platoon with up to 2 HMG teams instead. Motorized Rifle company is slightly more expensive than the regular Rifle company as well due to their transports.
All Armoured car platoons are increased from 4 to 5 vehicles. All armoured car platoons are now also Divisional support rather than Weapons platoons.
T-37 amphibious tank platoon increased from 4 to 5 vehicles.

Soviet Arsenal
BA-6 37mm PS-1 gun is now 24”/60cm instead of 16”/40cm
T-38 amphibious tank with ShVAK 20mm are now RoF 2 instead of RoF 3
Polikarpov bombs are now FP 3+ instead of 4+
120mm Obr.38 mortar is now FP 4+ in bombardment. It also has a minimum range of 8”/20cm. The maximum bombardment range is now 48”/120cm instead of the initial 80”/200cm.

Version 2.1-> 2.1.1 changelog

Fixed a points typo on page 192 regarding Soviet T-28 tanks.
Slovak OA vz.30 armoured car now have top armour 1
German 6-rad, 8-rad, ADGZ armoured cars now have top armour 1
Soviet BA-6 and BA-10 armoured cars now have top armour 1
All Soviet tanks now have top armour 1

Additional fix 12/01/2013
Soviet BT-2 Co-ax MG
Soviet BT-5 Twin Co-ax MG
Soviet BT-6 Twin Co-ax MG
Polish Bunker section has had its centimeter range fixed to from 40 to 60cm to match the 24"

Version 2.1.1-> 2.1.2 changelog (Final version)
Countless typos fixed, some graphical layout glitches corrected.

FAQ

Q: Are train AA MG turrets RoF 3?
A: Yes, they are also “self defense AA only” meaning you cannot use them to fire at ground targets.

Q: I’m a bit confused about the Zmotoryzowanej AT gun platoon (WAMB). In some OoB sheets it simply says Zmotoryzowaney AT gun platoon but the page profile also adds (WAMB).
A: This may be a bit confusing, but since there are two army lists with the same name for their units – but with each of the two lists having different ratings. Warsaw Armoured Motorized Brigade (WAMB) are Fearless/Trained, while 10th Motorized cavalry brigade are Fearless/Veteran. Depending on army type you can include support options from both of these lists, to keep them apart the Fearless/Trained has been marked WAMB. What is important is to simply pick the profile from the correct page number.

Q: Polish FT-17 and R-35 tanks have RoF 3?
A: Yes I increased the RoF of these tanks from the original of 2. Play testing indicated that these tanks when played on a company level were average at best even with the increased RoF. The small platoons, combined with “one man turret” limits their actual potential quite a lot. Information about the gun mounted in this vehicles indicated that it was able to fire very fast even when operated by a single crew-man, especially since the guns had a flat trajectory meant for anti infantry purpose.

Q: Polikarpov has a 6+ to hit with its rockets?
A: Yes, the accuracy of this weapon was roughly 1% chance of hitting a target on 500meters. Upping that to a 16% chance of success by rolling a 6 on 1D6 should be considered an improvement over the alternative of rolling 1D100 and scoring a hit on a 1. A more serious answer would be - see the Polikarpov as an airplane mainly performing air interception, with the added bonus of being able to attack ground targets.

Q: Does the Komissar Command team special rule include tank company and tank platoon commanders as well?
A: No, Komissar Command team special rules only apply to units that specifically have “Command Komissar teams” in the unit profile. If a platoon or company only has a “Command team” then this is a regular command team.

Q: Does the above include the Meddling Political officers rule for company command checks?
A: Yes it has now been clarified in the Soviet special rules section, that only Rifle battalion and Cavalry regiments are affected by “Meddling of Political officers”.

Last edited by Anatoli on Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:49 am, edited 29 times in total.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:50 am
Profile WWW
Corporal

I'm very impressed by the level of detail and flavor in these OOBs. I also like the differentiation between the "dysfunctional" Red Army of 1941 and the "reasonably functional" Red Army of 1939, which, I happen to think is a big reason why the "Late" Early War should really be a different era or something.

Not only that, but you get a variety of forces if you want, you can get the gamut of skill levels and motivation in just about everyone. I wish I had some Early War Poles or Slovaks to use!

I appreciate the subtle change to all cavalry, too, they get to reroll motivation to un-pin when they're mounted, which makes them considerably more playable.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:59 pm
First Sergeant

Yes I saw no reason why all cavalry shouldn't have the "un-pin" re-roll. It's not like horses belonging to another nation would react differently from the mayhem of war.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:59 pm
Profile WWW
Staff Sergeant

An amazing amount of effort and detail in putting together this effort. Finally the Polish have some lists that have some flavor instead of being so blah.

I need to finish up my Polish infantry and armor and get some games in. Only early war Germans I have are pz38t, but I have plenty of infantry to use. Thanks for putting so much of your time into this.

I really think FOW should be broken into campaigns instead of multiple years r fronts. Blitzkrieg didn't do EW justice given it had such a large period to focus on. I look forward to the campaign.

Image Image Image

Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:10 pm
First Sergeant

I think Blitzkrieg was bound to run into trouble for several reasons.

1) I did never truly feel that Battlefront were confident in the interest of the invasion of Poland bit, it showed in the lists and limited range of miniatures that were released.

2) An amazing amount of technological advance can happen within a short amount of time, the same goes for army organization. The big difference of the German army in Poland compared to France really shows this.

Thus trying to cut corners and combine both invasions was not the best idea. The invasion of Poland should have been handled as an isolated event with the Slovak, German Polish and Soviet armies in one single book - and the Invasion of France with French, British, Dutch, Belgian, Poles in exile after the Polish campaign, Italy and Germany in another separate book.

You don't think of combining Operation Overlord with Operation Market Garden, they have a timeline that is even closer between the events than Poland-France, and yet there is a big difference between the two.

I can only hope that my attempt with this book remedies the whole Blitzkrieg issue that I myself and others have had since the release of that book. And hopefully also show how rich and diverse Early War can really be if you focus on one thing at a time.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:09 pm
Profile WWW
Corporal

This book is definitely inspiring me to make a Battle of Odessa book so I can do my Romanians in EW, and maybe compare later to how BF handles them(if at all) in a Barbarossa book. The one big advantage is that you don't see large scale changes in the Romanian army until the advent of the Second Echelon divisions and the withdrawal of R-35s from service(until they make a rip-roaring return in LW) which come in 1942.

What's a bit strange is that the LW Romanians have AT guns as a strength where EW Romanians, looking at the TOEs are desperately short on AT guns to the point where they accepted the dump of captured Polish 37mms to equip their infantry regiments, which were never up to TOE strength in that department. Also wildly short on modern artillery, too.

Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:10 am
Sergeant

Yeah, thanks for all the hard work.
Where is the re-enacted fortage from that you use in your trailer?
Ta
Jon

Seriously thinking of ditching FOW and going over to Battlegroup.

Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:14 am
Staff Sergeant

I just love the idea simply. But force organisations could be more simple.

Maybe I could get someone to play little campaing about this.

Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:01 pm
First Sergeant

Very impressive - this just might make me take the jump into EW!

http://lairoftheubergeek.blogspot.com/

Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:05 pm
Profile WWW
First Sergeant

Thanks guys, glad you like it :-)

@ Panzer nut, all the footage in the promo video is from the same source - a Polish documentary series about major events during the 20th century. They had a couple of episodes about the invasion of Poland (among other things) which were interesting enough on a basic level. The footage itself was very nice though so I instantly started thinking about using it for promotion videos for my project. I still have a ton of unused footage that will be used for a second video for the Campaign section of the book.

Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:49 pm
Profile WWW
Private First Class

you see the advances the Germans made from the lessons learned in Poland, What was it? almost an entire division's worth of armor destroyed from that was up armored before the invasion of France

Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:39 am
First Sergeant

Among the changes between the Polish and the French campaign were:

1) The "Old infanterie" formations were deemed to have insufficient firepower and got boosted with extra machineguns.

2) Pz II and especially Pz I tanks were deemed inadequate for the role of fighting tanks, and while they continued to serve in the German army emphasis was put on production of newer tank models in greater numbers than Germany could muster for the Polish campaign. Thus you have more Pz III and IV models in France and in new organization structures. More light tank companies now had support from the medium tanks.

3) The Polish campaign proved the dire need for armoured vehicles that could destroy bunkers and fortifications.

4) Tanks were up armoured between the campaigns, models like the Pz II D were scrapped altogether.

5) The Germans got the idea of starting to use the 88's for ground support roles and employed those guns for AT purposes.

6) Larger number of mechanized troops fought in France.

7) SS units were deemed way too unpredictable and were re-organized and subordinated to the army. Their overzealous combat history in Poland proved that they were willing to fight but their sloppy approach led to heavy and unnecessary casualties. It was in fact only Hitler that saved the SS fighting formations after the Polish campaigns, as many high-ups wanted to remove them from service altogether, Hitler came up with the compromise solution.

8) SS units got their first real armour in France, in Poland they had only armoured reconnaissance vehicles at their disposal.

9) German artillery and Stuka bombers were in fact responsible for the success story of the German campaign in Poland. The tanks were used rather cautiously and not fully utilized in the classic idea of Blitzkrieg. This changed with the greater number of proper tanks in new organization for the French campaign.

10) Germany had a lot of new "toys" for the French campaign, Panzerjäger's, Bunkerflakk and StuG's and some 25.000 brand new anti tank rifles.

Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:43 pm
Profile WWW
Captain

I am absolutely giddy over this. Sadly, there's only one person locally who plays non-desert EW.

Oh well, just means I have to buy more armies to have both sides!

Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:48 pm
First Sergeant

I answered your PM piperider361, I will probably add it to a FAQ as it is not the first time I'm asked about the Soviet rockets on the Polikarpov :-)

Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:37 pm
Profile WWW
First Sergeant

The guys at my club asked if I was willing to organize a Firestorm campaign for Poland 1939. So I've been diverting some of my time to tinker with this side project. We'll see if we get enough people for both sides, we do have Soviet, Slovak and German players to cover the "Axis", but so far only 2 players including me to play the Polish. Hopefully that will change. The campaign will not start until next month at the earliest.

Here is a map I've been working on, still without regions or region specific advantages/special rules. I've marked the prominent terrain features which will have to be represented somehow on the table depending on where you fight. You can still throw in some woods, a village or a hill where there is none on the map - but you are supposed to represent prominent terrain whenever possible.

Full size version of the map: http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g183/ ... storm2.png

Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:47 am
Profile WWW
First Sergeant

@ Neal, yes the standard Polish camo is the airbrushed 3 color pattern of brown, green and sand. The camo pattern prior to that was something called "Japanese style camo", which basically had the same colors but divided and isolated by black lines. I will include painting tutorials, camo guides and list of manufacturers in an extended hobby section that will be released in the "Campaign section" part of the book in a couple of weeks. That was the plan all along so don't worry :-)

Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:21 pm
Profile WWW
Captain

I did a review of The September Campaign on my Blog. I also got it spiral bound today and it is awesome!

http://frozengamerak.blogspot.com/2012/ ... paign.html

Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:03 am
Profile WWW
First Sergeant

cbaxter wrote:
I did a review of The September Campaign on my Blog. I also got it spiral bound today and it is awesome!

http://frozengamerak.blogspot.com/2012/ ... paign.html

Superb review Craig! Really made my morning, I'll link to it on my blog tomorrow :-D

Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:55 am
Profile WWW
Staff Sergeant

Good review CB but as for Wittman being the most successful I would argue for
Kurt Knispel on total kills, ot
Otto Carius on surviving

Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:40 am
First Sergeant

A brief update on the (very) soon to be released Firestorm Campaign

http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.se/201 ... storm.html

Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:21 am
Profile WWW
Private First Class

Great work Anatoli! I have to say I never had an interest in Poles before reading this. A bunch of the guys at the Game Vault club have Polish forces that never get used due to the silliness of Blitzkreig, we game more for history than competition and the German forces in BF's book are clearly more for the French campaign. I'll share this with them and see if we can't get some more historical EW games happening.

Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:37 pm
First Sergeant

A version 2.1 (revised/errata) is coming up very shortly. I received an email with a list of typos and historical suggestions regarding the Soviets from a gentleman. Currently fixing the typos and applying a few tweaks to the Soviet OoB.

For those of you who have already printed out the entire book - awfully sorry about the inconvenience this may have caused. This was also why I advised Gregg over at EasyArmy not to upload any lists until a couple of weeks from the release as I was certain there would be quirks that I had not found out about yet.

I will post a list of errata/FAQ points as well as upload the version 2.01 of the Orders of Battle book shortly.

Last edited by Anatoli on Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:41 pm
Profile WWW
Captain

i really want to field teh German Cav, but will need to order anther couple platoons from Peter Pig

Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:16 pm
Profile WWW
First Sergeant

Important version 2.1 update is now up, check the first post in this thread. Same download link from my blog as before (though the address to the new version from my blog to Google drive is changed).

Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:32 pm
Profile WWW
Staff Sergeant

Thanks Anatoli

PS If you are looking for an accurate truck for your Polish Mech inf I think I have found one - handmade in Italy! pm me if interested

Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next