View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
V4 a dull thud? 
Staff Sergeant

Not sure about your local area, but around here, Version 4 has pretty much been a thud and not a bang. I guess a LOT of folks are waiting for more V4 books to come out and command cards, but still.. even EW and the staple of LW just hasn't been played with our group at all. I wonder if this is just our local situation or is this something that other areas are feeling? I mean we did some MW test games and there was some hype, but now there is not as much interest now that its actually out but no other cards or books are out.

Your thoughts?

The army sleeps under the stars
The navy navigates by using the stars
The air force picks its hotels based on the number of stars.....

Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:14 pm
Captain

Compared to what was our V3 level of activity lately, V4 has been a real boost. Our group played 4 games of V4 on Saturday, there was a demo game last Thursday, I'm playing a game tonight, and at least one game is scheduled for this coming Saturday. We are planning our fist V4 tournament for May.

Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:22 pm
Profile WWW
Corporal

Our area has embraced it 100%. Out of the 20 or so players in teh area I know not one wants to play V3 any more. Maybe those who dislike it are not vocal about it but it seems to have increased interest.

EDIT: But; If I could complain it would not be all the little misses or things needing a FAQ but about the limited coverage of V4. Having all the cards (You have to make your own if you want to use them) and more lists will probably become a glaring problem in another month or two. With our first V4 MW tournament this month at 50 points and another in June at 80 points people will quickly become hungry to use more of their models and that could lead to playing something else. We shall see what it looks like in the summer.

Last edited by BinPanzerd on Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:25 pm
Staff Sergeant

We're easing into V4, but even at the last V3 games the talk is all about V4. The local league series is starting season 20 (EF-Winter of '41-'42) and we'll be using V3 for the final time.

I sincerely hope BF will release more lists and the cards ASAP so that the momentum built up continues.

Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:43 pm
Technical Sergeant

Just not interested in V4 at all. I think that this year's ETC will likely be my final hurrah with FoW.

Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:46 pm
Sergeant

FoW is pretty much a dead issue locally. There are a very few of us die-hards who still have our toys, but people here are more interested in small scale skirmish games.

Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:56 pm
Staff Sergeant

It's difficult to judge. The majority or our local FoW community are older players who have a lot going on in their lives that takes priority over playing with toy soldiers and many don't actively use social media. Late War is by far and away the most popular time period, so less than half a dozen have forces suitable to be used in the pitiful army list selections offered by Desert Rats and Afrika Korps.

Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:43 am
Private

V4 has breathed new life into our local scene with boltaction dropping off. Often it just depends on whether you have a local enthusiastic player to help invigorate old and new FOW players alike.

It may sound harsh but I think some of the old players haven't really helped enthuse their local groups, rather they have poured vinegar when it was clear they would have to adapt to the new V4 way of play.

I'll leave that there.

If we want to see more games of FOW played locally, and if we enjoy V4, then we have to commit to being that enthusiastic person who gets others into/back into FOW

Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:47 am
Profile WWW
Corporal

Played my first quick game of V4 last night: I really like its fast pace and focus on maneuver. It is an obvious improvement over V3. The presentation of EW/LW armies is a mess, but that's why I made cards :) I think this amounts to restarting the game for a new generation. The great availability of plastic tanks and basic infantry for the Big 4 means it will be easier for new players to get into.

Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:58 am
Sergeant

I haven't played since V2. I'm hoping that V4 might get the juices flowing again, but we shall see.

Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:40 pm
Technical Sergeant

Problem here is Team Yankee. If you are busy with TY, there is no hurry to try V4. We are waiting for the US book.

I think the extremely slim forces offering was too streamlined.

Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:51 pm
First Sergeant

The command cards are in the store for pre-order. I guess there is one thing nice about the uproar over the preview copies, BF decided to put more special rules back in the game (wait, is that nice?).

http://www.flamesofwar.com/DesktopModul ... 710&IH=400

http://www.flamesofwar.com/DesktopModul ... 710&IH=400

Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:15 pm
Captain

But nothing on those entries about additional units. Perhaps with 34 there might be?

Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:04 pm
Profile WWW
Technical Sergeant

Good news, points applied to special rules.

Bad news, this is in no way what we thought it would be. I see potential nightmare scenario which I'm hoping isn't true.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:21 pm
Sergeant

What I find hard to understand is that a majority of people thought what was killing v.3 (certainly LW) was special rules. What made US arty so good wasn't the AT or FP but was special rule stacking. My last v.3 LW tournament 3 out 5 armies I faced had at least 4 special rules going (not national but special). If these cards are a sample of what is contained then it's a stack of special rules which for a casual gamer like me results in less enjoyment.

thankfully like most I have a number of other games/hobbies/pastimes to devote time to instead.

Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:47 pm
Technical Sergeant

Of course, that assumes the stack is represented by this picture, which isn't necessarily so.

Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:21 am
First Sergeant

It seems to me the real question is this:

Will the cards be another Mid-War Monsters or will they be treated like the cards in Armada / X-Wing, where it adds flavor?

Not sure, but I do agree with the special rules being an issue in V3. Draw your own conclusion...

I can't wait for the Patton card!

Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:51 pm
Profile WWW
Private

Version 4 LW is taking off in my area. We have an intro to version 4 league with 11 people signed up.
No one even talks about or wants to get into MW since it is so limited right now.
Version 4 is enjoyable, but we will have to see how the intro league goes before knowing if FOW is growing or shrinking here.

Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:57 pm
Private

I drove my local group to try out a few V4 games and we all enjoyed it for the most part. Unfortunately some RL issues cropped up and half of our group had to pause playing for the last month so everything has crawled to a halt. Midwar is completely stalled waiting on critical releases (like bloody books) and I think everyone is basically treading water waiting to see what Battlefront are going to do.

Overall: Happy with the rules and somewhat optimistic about the future, but not happy with Battlefronts release schedule (or their ability to even follow it). Plus living in Australia our distribution is completely borked by one distributor controlling everything while also running their own store (basically a monopoly).

Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:24 am
Sergeant

The largest tournament in our region here in BC just announced there will be no FoW this year. That's a shame. The way BF rolled this out is just goofy.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:39 pm
Staff Sergeant

Well, it seemed to be going just fine here, with some new enthusiasm for fow here. BUT can't see me playing card game with miniatures in near future. What I have seen now in SoMe looks really bad. Discard the card to get AT3 for this turn for your infantry and so....

Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:32 am
Profile WWW
Sergeant

An take into account that if this «command cards» sell the next step by BF will be «exclusive cards» with the new box sets (at a premium price) or envelopes of «common-rare-unique» cards... nothing really prevents BF from turning FOW into a microtransaction or card collectible nightmare.

Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:49 am
Sergeant

Cards != Magic

Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:28 am
Staff Sergeant

Our group is split. Half of want to play V4 exclusively because it does feel better with the increased manueverability. The other half is reluctant for new rules, most of our group is German and want the rules in Deutsche before they get stuck into it.

@ Iron Tom, I thought the New Zealand Divisional Cavalry is a new unit. Although nothing but recycled units from Desert Rats and nothing new in equipment. My thought is that is an after thought after their customer base exressed outrage at the lack of options.

Image Image Image

Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:17 am
Captain

Weland wrote:

@ Iron Tom, I thought the New Zealand Divisional Cavalry is a new unit. Although nothing but recycled units from Desert Rats and nothing new in equipment. My thought is that is an after thought after their customer base exressed outrage at the lack of options.

The NZ Cav is a new "Fornation." Yes its components were already available, but UC Platoons in this formation are now ccore units/Platoons rather than support. I'm not sure how big of a deal that is in game terms, but it made our local NZ Cav player happy that its MTOE is now more accurately modeled,

I an uncertain now about Command Cards being an afterthought. That's originally what I thought, but Andrew Haught's comments in the article state that he was working on them from the inception of V4.

Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:25 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 237 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next