View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
TheSignals ongoing stuff! 
Major

Friends, Romans, Countrymen... lend me your opinions. I fancied painting something other then little green men.

I have no interest in playing ancients as a game, at-least not yet. But I have always loved the look of a fully painted formation of armored infantry unit, and Romans are hands down the coolest army to have ever have existed... fact, I will accept no further opinions on this matter.

“Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.”
― Albert Einstein

Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:38 pm
Profile WWW
Captain

I came, I saw, and was blown away! Very sweet!

Twitter: @WWPDSonBae
SonBae's Blog 

Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:04 am
First Sergeant

Romans were in fact the best looking army to take the field, ever. I'd love to play ancients again sometime. What scale are your guys, 28s?

Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:13 am
Major

15mm! I wanted to go really small so that when they are all in formation (and I have a load of them) they will look awesome. I figure an army like this looks more impressive the smaller the scale, because smaller scale means more soldiers, more soldiers equals more bad-assery and bad-assery equals romans.

“Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.”
― Albert Einstein

Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:32 am
Profile WWW
First Sergeant

Good choice on smaller scale, the plastic warlord games 28mm Romans are very nice but smaller scale = cramming more units on the table = awesomeness :D

Who's the manufacturer?

Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:14 am
Profile WWW
Major

Manufacturor im not sure on, but i baught them here:
http://www.warmodelling.com/index.php?cPath=239_281

The ones photoed above are AIR-03

I also picked up AIR-04 and AIR-06

I really like these models, they have plenty of detail on for 15mm.

Edit:
AIR-04 and 06 have pilum and spears in, im not sure why this is from my very limited historical knowledge the two weren't used together (and spearmen were auxillia right?), thankfully I got nearly all pilum so they can back up my gladius troops.

― Albert Einstein

Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:05 pm
Profile WWW
Major

Anyone got some tips on getting decent metalics, and what brand id be better off purchasing, the only paint I currently have (and had any experience with) is GW Boltgun Metal and its rather old and sludgy, sam with the gold, and even thinned difficult to work with. I also think its far too dark but its all I got. Id really like them to shine and im not getting that.

Generally Ive stayed away from metallics since starting FOW, preferring a graphite pencil and German grey to achieve metallics. I like the look that gives but not really practical for a roman army.

― Albert Einstein

Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:30 am
Profile WWW
Major

Cummon peeps! My Romans aren't shinny enough! Someone here gotta know some good metallics and how to use them well!

― Albert Einstein

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:49 am
Profile WWW
Major

Quick update of my slow progress, I got another 2 stands done. I also went back and redid the other stands metal in a lighter silver.

I hate how bad photos make my painting look.

And for a bit more of an impression how it looks to anyone without superhuman eyes...

― Albert Einstein

Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:06 am
Profile WWW
Major

Great work on these!!

Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:22 am
Private

Re: metallics

GW has changed its paint line, and unfortunately I haven't tried their new metallics. In my experience, the Vallejo metallics are pretty good. I use Gunmetal Metal (Game Color) for quite a lot, as it's a near exact match, color-wise, for Boltgun Metal.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:33 pm
Major

All painted and based.

― Albert Einstein

Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:23 am
Profile WWW
Major

jesselowe wrote:
Re: metallics

GW has changed its paint line, and unfortunately I haven't tried their new metallics. In my experience, the Vallejo metallics are pretty good. I use Gunmetal Metal (Game Color) for quite a lot, as it's a near exact match, color-wise, for Boltgun Metal.

Thanks, I went with a lighter silver for my romans in the end, boltgun looked a little too dark anyway. I hate painting metalics though, but I lack the skill to paint NMM.

― Albert Einstein

Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:25 am
Profile WWW
Major

So sue me, I can't stand the rules but the models are cool and fun to paint.

I recently dug out my old 40k stuff and decided id repaint my commander just for fun. Its something I always seem to do every few years to see if my standards have improved.

So I cheated this time, I didn't repaint the entire model this time, Ive painted over the top and tried to add some lighting effects as I was kinda happy with how he looked anyway, I just had the hankering to paint something and cant find my commandos.

― Albert Einstein

Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:59 pm
Profile WWW
Private

I like the more muted, earthy color scheme. Not typical for Space Marines, but it works. Almost how I'd imagine the marines from the Starship Troopers book.

The lighting effect around the eyes and laser? on the storm bolter are very realistic. Were you also going for a muzzle flash effect on arm and torso?

What was the old color scheme, if you don't mind saying?

Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:07 pm
Major

Yeah I was going for muzzle flash down the army and torso.
My old colour scheme was very similar, just a bit untidy.

Yes my marines have cammo, why would you deny yourself that advantage on a battlefield, even if you are a super powered walking tanks, its the 41st millenium where theres guns that shoot shells the size of tanks.... heck, there probably guns that shoot tanks that shoots smaller tanks (knowing the orks).

― Albert Einstein

Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:21 pm
Profile WWW
Major

Neal Smith wrote:
Mine are German 3-color camo. :)

Awesome! Cammo marines for the win!

― Albert Einstein

Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:21 pm
Profile WWW
Major

Another update, after long deliberation I decided my muzzle flash on my commander needed... actual muzzle flash.

While I was in the mood for painting I finally got around to painting up 10 more commandos, they need a dull coat and basing. Maybe some time next year ill have a full platoon.
These guys are a mix of battlefronts commandos and peter pig, which I threw into the mix to get a few of the wool hats, which according to 'we died with out boots clean' was the preferred choice of headwear for the commandos in Europe because they kept their heads warm and doubled as a scarf.

― Albert Einstein

Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:26 pm
Profile WWW
Major

Quick picture dump, my first completed commando section.

Its not quite to "Lukes" standards but we cant all be like him. :P

I couldnt decide if I should do the patches or not, some photos have them others dont.

Still a mat varnish to go but they are basically done.

― Albert Einstein

Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:47 pm
Profile WWW
Major

A little something else, I started a long long time ago, and had literally forgotten all about it until I was digging around for my Commandos. It still needs some work, the static grass is too thin in places and it needs a load more clump foliage, some to hide the top half of the balsa wood trees, to bulk it out and make it less of a flying saucer when the lid is on (and to hide the gaps, should have paitned the polystyrene base first) and the rest to go on the plastic woodland scenic trees.

Hopefully it will look as good as I was hoping when I first started.

Not really very happy with the base but I got to the point of giving up.

― Albert Einstein

Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:27 am
Profile WWW
Major

So moved onto my next project, though havent quite decided what kind of industrial building this would be, I probably should have decided that before I started, any ideas wold be a great help.

Also any ideas on how to make windows that dosnt require being accurate with a blade would be nice.

― Albert Einstein

Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:04 am
Profile WWW
Major

One more Commando section nearly ready for the table. Some dull coat and basing is all that needs doing now. This was also my first time trying out Mat Medium and Glaze Medium, and while I dont think it made much difference in the final outcome, I did find the Mat Medium helped with coverage. Glaze Medium I need to learn how to use to make the most out of it, probably on something in a larger scale and on something with more variety to get a real feel for how it works.

― Albert Einstein

Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:37 am
Profile WWW
Major

So where do you start with 4 solid resin gliders you purchased when you first started flames of war and been dreading putting them together, and dreading painting them even more.

I managed to piece one together (sorry no pics yet) but it took me a good couple of hours of sanding (with facemask), drilling and brute force and it still needs gaps filling with green stuff.

These things are a sod to put together, but with Overlord coming up I felt there's no better time to finally get them on the table. Sorry I cant remember the brand or where I bought them it was a long time ago now.

As for painting im already starting to hate them, they will be lucky to get a black undercoat!

― Albert Einstein

Fri May 17, 2013 12:19 am
Profile WWW
First Sergeant

I know what you mean, they fall into that special category of models that are off putting to paint- but may actually end up looking good if you can force yourself to do a good paintjob on them. I think an air brush paintjob would make quick work of these and help in adding decent highlights. If I had to paint those with a brush (which I would since I don't have an airbrush) I would go nuts and grind my teeth.

Fri May 17, 2013 10:38 am
Profile WWW
Major

Anatoli wrote:
I know what you mean, they fall into that special category of models that are off putting to paint- but may actually end up looking good if you can force yourself to do a good paintjob on them. I think an air brush paintjob would make quick work of these and help in adding decent highlights. If I had to paint those with a brush (which I would since I don't have an airbrush) I would go nuts and grind my teeth.

Im not sure I can trust my airbrush not to cut out halfway through, so I may have to do this by hand.

Im just going to take it a glider at a time so I should be able to put at-least one down on the table.

― Albert Einstein

Fri May 17, 2013 11:33 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next