View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 12:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
wildcatgamer's painting (back)log 
Corporal

7/30/2014 Update: Two NVA companies + CiC & 2iC

I sprayed these guys khaki, painted the occasional hat, shirt, and/or pants Russian green, plus 5 or 6 colors then brushed on Minwax Polyshades Antique Walnut, followed by a Testors matte spray. I think they turned out great.

Yellow Company

Red Company

CiC & 2iC

Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:29 am
Corporal

8/14/14 Update: PAVN Weapons and HQ Companies

Mortars and AA MG's

Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:18 am
Corporal

Double post...for some reason

Last edited by wildcatgamer on Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:18 am
Corporal

Update: PAVN Recoilless Guns, HMG's, and Artillery Observer

Arty Observer

Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:20 am
Corporal

8/17/14: Vietnam Terrain

I'm getting some terrain finished up. I built the woods/jungle bases from mdf, cut with a jig saw and chamfered the edges with a Dremil. Then I applied paintable caulk to the surface and spread it around, then dabbed while still wet with a crumpled paper towel to get the rough surface look. These bases will be usable for any scale or a theater with the proper trees.

The bases:

Palm Trees:

Got these trees cheap-from-China on ebay. Spent probably $25 all told. Hot glued to washers then painted the bases green. I don't think I'll be painting the tree trunks, even though they're not quite the right color. They look pretty good as is.

Both together:

Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:27 am
Corporal

8/18/14 Update: 15mm Vietnam rice paddies

Cut these from mdf, chamfered with a Dremil, then I used beads of paintable caulk to make the dirt ridges. For some reason in my I had in my head that the rice paddies had green water in them, hence the green. Come to find out, the water is always brown. Who knew? Oh well, they still look pretty decent. The base was painted green then I poured gloss clear varnish over it. I painted one of them with a cruddy brush, so it has air bubbles in it.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:49 am
Corporal

Local Forces Company

It's harder than I realized to paint black at this scale. Painting the flag was kind of fun, though.

Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:12 pm
Corporal

9/30: Finished 6 Resistance Teams

Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:03 pm
Corporal

10/8/14 Update: Additional AA platoon painted & group shots

I finished up an extra platoon of AA DshK's after finding one platoon wasn't quite enough. I think I'm finished with my NVA's for now, so I thought I would post a group shot. I've been doing a lot of infantry painting here recently and I'm looking forward to doing some tank painting with the Barbarossa book coming out.

Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:10 pm
Corporal

10/8/14 Barbarossa Panzer III G's

Had some PSC Panzer III's sitting around for a future DAK project and reallocated them to Barbarossa. My first Panzer Grey vehicles, too.

Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:08 am
Corporal

11/3/2014: Finished up some Zvezda Panzer II's for Barbarossa. I used a dremil to hollow out the closed top hatch and added some sheet styrene and a PSC German tank commander for the command tank.

Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:13 pm
Corporal

11/10/2014 Update - Soviet Winter T-26's

Used the toothpaste method to paint these guys. I've never done a winter army, so I wanted to give it a try. I wanted a unit I could field for both Rising Sun and Barbarossa. I think they turned out pretty well. The models are Zvezda. For the platoon commander I used a Dremil to hollow out the hatch area and added plasticard for the open hatch. The commander is BF.

I started by spraying them with some Krylon Italian Olive. It's not exactly the right color, but most of it is going to be covered anyway.

I put blue tac over the female holes for the turrets to keep their nice fit.

I used a small chunk of foam to dab on the toothpaste, sprayed white, then waited approximately 10 minutes and rubbed off the toothpaste under water. Then paint the details: mud on the tracks, exhaust, commander, & muzzle soot. I also applied some commercial snow flock to the tracks with PVA glue. I don't think I'll end up doing that again. I don't feel like it really added a lot to the model and it rubs off pretty easily.

Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:25 am
Corporal

11/17/2014: Finished 7 T-35's

I finished up these seven Zvezda T-35 tanks. I used the same toothpaste method as the T-26's. The barrels on the T-35 45mm guns are pretty thin and I bent a couple when rubbing the toothpaste off under water, no biggie, though. I Dremil'd cavities for the commander hatches and glued in some BF tank commanders.

hand painted star on the company commander

Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:56 am
Corporal

11/22/2014: Zvezda BA-10's (qty 6)

Finished up 6 Zvezda BA-10's. After building three of the Zvezda 222's and the reviews with those, I was expecting a similarly frustrating build with these BA-10's. But it really wasn't that bad. I thought they went together way better than the 222's. I did the paint job as on the other winter Soviets I've finished. But for the star on the company command I painted it on after the green and made sure to put lots of toothpaste on it. These 6 BA-10's complete my Winter War Soviet forces! (for now...)

Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:21 pm
Corporal

Finished some 6mm (1/285) Microarmor for Fate of a Nation. Models are GHQ. They're great little models, tons of detail. I saw a new year's sale on these guys so they cost me about $80. This army would be over $400 using Battlefront models.

To paint them I primed grey, used GW Agrax Earthshade over all it, drybrushed Iraqi sand, painted the tracks black.

I chose to denote platoon and company commanders with barrel rings. And a divisional symbol for the company commander. This scale is too tiny to convert commanders hanging out of hatches.

Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:48 pm
Corporal

Played my first game of 6mm Fate of Nation over the weekend. It was great. We played all vehicles and it plays great at 6mm scale. We ordered 1/300 scale airplanes immediately after the game was over. We're going to have to make our own 6mm scaled artillery template. I'll probably end up ordering some 6mm infantry to go with it, but my friend is talking about counters for infantry stand because they would be so tiny, but I think actual models are worth exploring.

A couple of pics:

Turn one:

Zoom in of papercraft buildings:

Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:11 pm
Corporal

8-19-15
Finally finished my Mantic Mars Attacks game miniatures (only took a year...). I'm pretty pleased with how they came out. I got in on the kickstarter, then my initial shipment got mangled in the mail. Mantic let me keep the first box and sent a second.

Martians

Human heroes

Human soldiers

Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:46 am
Corporal

9/1/15 6mm infantry test

Finished a test stand of 6mm UAR infantry. The infantry is GHQ Warsaw Pact individual infantry. I've based them using a half scale medium base of sheet styrene. Then I glued some thin, flexible sheet of magnet to the bottom for easy storage.

FoW medium base for scale (these guys are tiny!)

Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:49 am
Private First Class

Looking good! Go K-State! (that is all)

Into Historical Wargaming and live in the Kansas City area?
JOCO Historical Wargamers

Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:32 am
Profile WWW
Corporal

Finished my US Winter Rifle Company box plus a weapons platoon. I've been working on these guys off and on for about 2 years and decided to dedicate the time to finish them up. I think they turned out pretty good. Took me a couple of iterations to figure out how I wanted to do the snow bases. I settled on painting the top of the base white, then making a snow & glue paste to smooth out any differences in height (this also creates some irregularities to make it a little more realistic), put snow over the entire base, then put some static grass and tufts (mostly brown, some green mixed in), then put some glue on the static grass & tufts and re-apply snow.
Sorry the lighting sucks.

Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:58 pm
Corporal

What did you make your snow mix with? I have a winter infantry army planed for the future too.

Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:26 pm
Corporal

DJTommyC wrote:
What did you make your snow mix with? I have a winter infantry army planed for the future too.

The snow mix is just Woodland Scenics snow with PVA glue. It takes a little bit of trial and error to get the mix right. It needs to be a thick paste, but not too dry. I applied it with a sculpting tool.

Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:10 pm
Corporal

3/4/2016
Finished up two core boxes worth of Mars Attacks terrain. I really like how this came out. The painted terrain really adds a lot to the gaming experience. I also took a paper mat that comes with the core game and spray glued it to some mdf. Helps a lot with the hard creases in the paper mat due to the folding. The plastic terrain would fall over all the time.

Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:26 pm
Corporal

3/4/2016

Finished a starter army of Dropzone Commander Scourge. I'm still getting used to running the airbrush and these models were a great way to experiment and try to hone my skills. The models, themselves, are very nice. The infantry is a little too 2D for me, but I think the metal models are better. But at this scale and from the tabletop perspective, you don't really notice anyway.

Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:30 pm
Corporal

3/4/2016

Finished up some old GHQ 6mm T-72 models I've had sitting around unpainted for the last oh, 20 or so years. I went ahead and based these to protect their super thin barrels (it looks like the new GHQ models have thicker barrels). The bases are plasticard with magnetic sheet glued to the bottom for easy storage on sheetmetal.

Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next