View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
French armoured carriers 
Sergeant

A review and painting guide for the Berliet VUDB armoured carriers:

http://www.boltaction.net/2015/03/frenc ... riers.html

Happy to talk painting. Anyone out there used these in a game yet?

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:51 am
Private

Gorgeous! Bryza, it's your work on the French that's inspiring me to start my own KNIL force. The paint job is solid and all the miniature really convey the right atmosphere. Very well done!

Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:44 am
Sergeant

Thanks Ingmar!

Sometimes we post these articles and wonder whether people even read them :D

It makes it all worth it to hear you are inspired for your own project! Be sure to post up pics as you progress. I have only ever seen one KNIL force ever, such a cool and unique project.

If you need any tips on painting or modelling just ask!

Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:48 am
Staff Sergeant

Thanks for the guide on oil painting vehicles, I have heard it described on podcasts but never seen how it is done. Might give it a go.

Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:12 am
Sergeant

No worries Stubert,

I realised we had chatted about it a number of times but you really need a visual guide as well. Once you get the hang of it, it's actually quite easy and very quick to get a vehicle painted.

If you have any questions once you give it a go, just post here and I would be happy to help.

Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:04 am
Sergeant

arghhhh .... beautiful paintjob ...
i have a question ... the ochre yellow colored paint is only regulation for the saharian desert ...
most of the VUBD were used in Morocco , seem's to be painted in olive green , and were in service since 1934 ( when the VUBD equipped Squadron of the 1st REC was disbanded ) , with the 1st and 4th Chasseurs d'Afrique cavalry regiments .
The 1st Chasseurs d'Afrique became GRDI in 1939 and fought on the NE french front, and the VUBD seems to have been in service with the 4th Chasseurs d'Afrique till 1943 .

So, in 1943, they won't be Foreign Legion crewed ... but Chasseurs d'afrique ones ...

Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:51 am
Sergeant

Great article.

I've got three of those bad boys myself and love their look. I look forward to seeing how your list turns out in future articles and what you use for Cav if you choose to go that route (I keep wondering what to use along those lines).

Lou,

The 1943 Chasseurs d'afrique, are those the individuals outfitted with British equipment? If not, what would they look like?

David

Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:46 pm
Sergeant

No they were outfitted with French equipement , they were Vichy troops :

French Chasseurs d'Afrique 1942 :

in combat, an adrian helmet was the headgear .

basically, the 4th Chasseurs d'Afrique Regiment was a horse mounted unit, with a mechanized "groupe d'escadrons" , with Berlier VUBD, Laffly 50 and Laffly 80, and some older White armoured cars . ( the crew of the VUBD and AC wearing motorized troops helmet )

they fight against the allied in Tunisia in november 1942 , then became part of the fight against the germans ... but there is no evidence of a single VUBD still in use ...

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:22 pm
Sergeant

Thanks for the pics and information. Much appreciated Lou.

David

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:47 pm
Sergeant

if you have a question about French army, 1939 to 1943, just ask ;) and i'll try to answer ...

Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:40 am
Sergeant

lou passejaïre wrote:
i have a question ... the ochre yellow colored paint is only regulation for the saharian desert ...
most of the VUBD were used in Morocco , seem's to be painted in olive green , and were in service since 1934 ( when the VUBD equipped Squadron of the 1st REC was disbanded ) , with the 1st and 4th Chasseurs d'Afrique cavalry regiments .
The 1st Chasseurs d'Afrique became GRDI in 1939 and fought on the NE french front, and the VUBD seems to have been in service with the 4th Chasseurs d'Afrique till 1943 .

So, in 1943, they won't be Foreign Legion crewed ... but Chasseurs d'afrique ones ...

I went with this paint scheme because, like I say in the article, I think it looked the best. The reference I copied actually appears to be the 4th Chasseurs d'Afrique (4/1st RCA?) So I guess I am not to far off. It is very hard to find reference material for the French colonial armies in English.

I also deliberately made the crew member a bit 'ambiguous' with his uniform featuring the armoured crew helmet, rather than the Kepi Blanc ;)

I am filling my VUDB's with Foreign Legion as from what I read they formed an independent cavalry reconnaissance squadron in 1943 and attacked Italian Tunisia...maybe the Chasseurs would be more accurate but seriously there are just no miniatures for these guys!

Do you have any more info you can share with us on the Berliet VUDB's Lou?

Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:43 am
Sergeant

Gravedigger wrote:
Great article.

I've got three of those bad boys myself and love their look. I look forward to seeing how your list turns out in future articles and what you use for Cav if you choose to go that route (I keep wondering what to use along those lines).

Lou,

The 1943 Chasseurs d'afrique, are those the individuals outfitted with British equipment? If not, what would they look like?

David

Thanks David!

They do look cool, almost like the modern 'Bushmaster'...I'll share my experiences with them in the game once I get some experience with them. We are having a big 'early war' themed event here in Australia in July, so will be playing some games with them to get ready for that.

As for the cav, well I stumbled on some really awesome figures that have just been released by 'Black Hat Miniatures'. They are part of a colonial range, Tuareg Camel mounted Cav:

http://www.blackhat.co.uk/online_shop/p ... f38e466474

I am working on 6 at the moment. There are no real suitable figures I can find for Morrocan Spahi Cavalry, so I am aiming for a real 'native' concept for the cavalry instead.

Just love the exotic look of the camels too.

On a side note I am also converting some Legionnaires with SMG's out of Italian figures. Guess they are using captured Berretas ;)

Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:51 am
Sergeant

morrocan spahis ?

i had an idea ...

the askari miniatures legion cavalry are quite perfect wearing sarouel and gandhoura, just cutting the heads, and using empress SCW morrocan heads ...

the saddle is not perfect but ...

i ordered the cavalry and the heads last week ... ( got the heads :D )

i just need a cavalry platoon for some Erytrea action with my Free french ...

but i'm still looking for meharistes ...

i can try to find some pictures of VUBD, but not a lot of informations avaibles, even in french :cry:

Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:06 am
Sergeant

Both great ideas for Cavalry/Camelry. Thanks for the ideas.

Bryza,

are those Artizan Italians with Artizan FFL Heads? What did you do with the other bodies? Regardless, Awesomeness!

David

Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:27 pm
Staff Sergeant

Thanks for the camel cavalry, I have been looking for some Libyan camel cavalry for my Italians and they are perfect!

Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:44 pm
Private

Bryza, I was taking a look at all your cool stuff and am fascinated by the vehicle bases. Which material do you use for the base itself (especially the green ones that match with the foreign legion)? edit: Just for clarification, I don't mean what's on it!

Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:29 pm
Private

Those are awesome! I'm trying to learn how to weather, vehicles and Armour. This will be bookmarked!

Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:05 pm
Technical Sergeant

Nice camels!

Need camelflage

Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:35 pm
Sergeant

Gravedigger wrote:
Both great ideas for Cavalry/Camelry. Thanks for the ideas.

Bryza,

are those Artizan Italians with Artizan FFL Heads? What did you do with the other bodies? Regardless, Awesomeness!

David

No worries mate, happy to share. The miniatures for 'Minor powers' armies often take a bit of searching...

They are indeed Artizan FFL heads on Italian bodies. Before you weep at the expense of that conversion I must reveal a good friend of mine had these heads spare after a conversion of his own, using FFL bodies and German heads to make a French North African Facist brigade.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:39 am
Sergeant

Ingmar wrote:
Bryza, I was taking a look at all your cool stuff and am fascinated by the vehicle bases. Which material do you use for the base itself (especially the green ones that match with the foreign legion)? edit: Just for clarification, I don't mean what's on it!

The bases are plasticard cut to size. Then I smother 'polly filla' (also called spak-filla, could be named different depending where you are in the world) from a hard ware store. I use a sculpting tool to push it around and give it some texture, then shove some stones into it. Once dry I seal the stones i with watered down PVA glue.

The basing material is a mixture of tufts from 'army painter' (winter grass) and 'gamer grass' (basically a mix of all there browns and yellows) and finally some light green lichen from a model railway store.

Hope that helps.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:43 am
Sergeant

Gorrt3907 wrote:
Those are awesome! I'm trying to learn how to weather, vehicles and Armour. This will be bookmarked!

That's great, I hope to pass on knowledge as my main aim for these articles :)

Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:44 am
Sergeant

Rich H wrote:
Nice camels!

Need camelflage

Unfortunately Rich...I just don't have an airbrush to do that scheme justice :(

Is that the '43 Tunisia CamelPanzerWaffe or the '42 Tropical standard issue? :D

Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:46 am
Sergeant

Bryza wrote:
Rich H wrote:
Nice camels!