View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
My Next Project - Yanks in the Pacific 
Corporal

I scooped up a dozen sprues of USMC late last year, and after a week of gluing and basing I'm ready to start painting.

Metal weapons are from The Assault Group and the Metal Heads are from West Winds Separate Head System (I think they were originally Germans!)

This Army will mark several 'firsts' for me. No 1 - Plastic Figures for nearly the entire collection. My other armies are 95-100% metal and resin. No 2 - Following someone else's painting guide. I normally come up with a paint scheme myself using colours I already own (you can probably see my attempts in the photo) but this time I am taking Master Tobu's USMC painting guide to heart. And No 3 - following Tobu's guide means using Vallejo paint for the 1st time ever. It will be interesting to see how using the little eyedropper pots changes how I paint. I'm expecting it will mean more (and larger) batch painting. And there is a possible No 4, as the guide requires mixing colours rather than the straight tones I usually do, I might have a go at making a wet palette to keep the colour mix as consistant as I can.

Lets see if I can get this Army done faster than my Brits.

Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:08 pm
Corporal

Its been about 3 weeks since I started colouring in these guys, I did have the inlaws staying for a week, which means no painting time for me (to much time spent hiding in the bedroom) but I am making progress. Very random progress. There is absolutely no method, I'm just applying whatever colour is open to whatever model is closest, so it feels like I'm not getting anywhere.

This is the stage I think I will be aiming to get everything to initially. This is just prior to mixing colours for highlights (actually this one still needs work on the webbing to get to that stage). Once everything is at this level I will move on to proper highlights/Camo etc.

What do we think of the base? I was going for a coral sand look, but I don't know what to add to it. Light brown/beige tufts or static grass? Green tufts? I don't seem to be able to find 28mm seashells anywhere.....

Any examples of miniatures with a beach basing theme around?

Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:10 am
Staff Sergeant

Looking good so far mate!

I have seen these waters edge style fantasy miniatures, which doesn't really answer your question but I thought it was a cool idea:

http://whfm.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/fantasy-army-design-themes-bases.html

Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:29 am
Captain

I've found the mass infantry paint-off kills me. It really does. I catch myself enjoying painting one or two vehicles at a time, but an entire force of infantry at once quickly crushes my soul. I tip my hat to you!

Luckily I've got many forces to choose from now, so I can take my time on the pioneers box set I have headed my way. I'm shooting for one squad at a time with these, and that will be a first for me. Maybe that way I can kick out a squad quickly and keep the spirit up.

Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:27 pm
Sergeant

Those are some nice looking Gyreens!

Building a 1944 Era GroƟdeutschland Panzer Grenadier Force! Shall be updated soon.

Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:33 pm
Corporal

stubert wrote:
Looking good so far mate!

I have seen these waters edge style fantasy miniatures, which doesn't really answer your question but I thought it was a cool idea:

http://whfm.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/fantasy-army-design-themes-bases.html

Thanks for the Link. Its not really the base effect I was going for but its an interesting blog post. The guy is spot on about how a uniform, well thought out army basing scheme can have a big impact on the overall look of your army. I think thats what I did well with my last army, a good basing scheme lifted reasonably ordinary painting to another level.

I have a few ideas in mind for my coral beach/atoll bases, I guess its experiment time.

WWPDJudson wrote:
I've found the mass infantry paint-off kills me. It really does. I catch myself enjoying painting one or two vehicles at a time, but an entire force of infantry at once quickly crushes my soul. I tip my hat to you!

Thanks Jud, I know what you mean about soul crushing. In the past I have just concentrated on 4-6 models from base coat to completion, them moved on to another small group. This go round, for some reason, I'm finding myself trying to do 40+ dudes in one hit. And I'm not really sure why. I guess I'm just trying to break the back of the hard bit (the troops) before moving on to the fun stuff (weapons teams and vehicles). It might be time to revert back to my usual way, and finish a squad, then move on to the next one. Easier to keep the enthusiasm going that way.

Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:34 pm
Staff Sergeant

Beaches usually had some drift wood, partially buried coconuts, crabs, rotting palm fronds etc. Additionally a contested beach landing would be littered with military debris. Helmets and guns, packs (maybe partially buried), ammo cans, etc. Likely there would have been limbs of dead comrades and blood etc, but that would be pretty gruesome.

Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:34 pm
Corporal

3 done! 40+ to go.........
I've made some tweaks to Tobu's painting guide, and I'm happy with how they look, I'd just forgotten how much mixing shades slows down my already glacial painting speed.
Still not sure what I want to do with the bases.

Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:18 am
Staff Sergeant

Too bad they don't make a head with a slouch hat. Every picture I can think of showed the Marines wearing them if they weren't wearing their helmet.

Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:41 am
Corporal

I am making progress, I just don't seem to be in a painting mood much these days.

Not the best photo but you can see more colour on more models than the last group shot.

I now have 7 models up to my Gaming standard level.

Painting infantry is such a slog.

Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:29 pm
Corporal

God, 20 months since an update! Just shows how little hobby time I have had in the last year or so.
But, Ive dragged them out again, and the painting slog continues. I think I've got the worst out of the way, so hopefully I will start to see more models getting finished very soon.
Then I can get on to the fun stuff, artillery, and vehicles!

Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:49 am
Corporal

A few more days of painting, and this afternoon outside on the deck and I have made more progress!

Believe it or not, after I put the basecoat on the bases of the ones I did today, I have half the troops finished.

Still not sure how to finish the bases. Maybe chopping up brown lichen to represent seaweed? Anyone know where I can get (or how to make) 28mm palm fronds?

Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:39 am
Private First Class

Really good! I like your random block-painting approach. :)

Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:14 pm
Corporal

Slowly coming along

And I've started some scenery and objective markers too.

Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:40 am
Corporal

I've been painting pretty steadily this week, and I'm very close to being done.

So close to being done that yesterday I picked up the extras I needed to finish the list.

Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]