View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Romanian Army 
Corporal

And here we have another example of why the Romanian cavalry rules are simply wrong: ("I wanna shoot from horseback! ")

But the big "pot" came the next day. Their mission was to clear the road to Kuruusen of any enemy groups. They found, however, an entire Soviet cavalry regiment. It was lined up in a column without any precautions. The two cavalry platoons quickly rode on each side of the road, firing at the Soviets and managing to surprise them. They threw down their weapons and surrendered. 1,210 POWs were taken and an enormous quantity of weapons.
Source: http://www.feldgrau.com/articles.php?ID=75

Article really has me fired up to do some mountain troops now! Make a nice veteran squad. (Can use the motorised section entry to field them.)

Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:03 pm
Technical Sergeant

Don't forget to post how they did in game, please.

Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:55 pm
Corporal

I'm hoping to get them on table either this or next weekend!

Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:44 pm
Corporal

Well my son was really keen to give his new Russian force a go. We didn't have time for a full game, but we decided to play for a couple of turns at least. Went for a straightforward Maximum attrition, 900 pts each side. Just gonna post the highlights. This was being played in a hurry so excuse dice etc on table in photos. Pics were grabbed as and when I could get them!

Table overview:

Romanian truck and cavalry charge down the flank towards the Russian light howitzer

Romanian MMG on other flank opens up on Soviet SMG squad, doing some damage:

Soviet tank riders who moved into building on first turn open up on rifle squad already hit by T-34, and break them:

Already immobilised on the first turn, the panzer 38t takes another hit from the T-34. Luckily this one fails to penetrate.

Romanian light mortar falls short. (Only 24"?)

Soviet medium mortar has no such problems:

Romanian medium howitzer opens up on the house full of Soviet tank riders but misses:

Romanian cavalry dismount and open fire on the Russian LMG squad in the wood.

We had to stop then, but we did resolve the Soviet artillery barrage, which pinned everything on the pz38 flank to pieces. Definitely looking ominous for the Romanians on that side of the table!

Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:43 pm
Corporal

Well with Tank Wars out I decided my poor under-resourced Romanians needed some antitank options.

Pak 97/38: Warlord Pak 38 carriage, with a French 75mm 1897 howitzer barrel. (also Warlord) The perforated muzzle brake was scratch built. Crew are one unmodified Outpost Wargames crewman, one modified Hungarian from same and finally a modded Wermacht crewman from the Pak 38 set.

Panzerschreck team: Panzerschreck figure modded from the Warlord Heer one. Crewman modded from Outpost Hungarian figure.

Also did another Outpost US Mexican war cavalry conversion (as per my previous cavalry) with a panzerfaust and the equivalent dismounted figure.

Still need to make a few panzerfaust riflemen to give me the option of including them in my rifle squads. But at least we have some more options to stop tanks!

Last edited by Wight on Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:50 am
Technical Sergeant

Awesome! Thanks for the pics.

What did you use for the fields? Some sort of door mat, I suspect. I like them for fields that don't have anything growing on them yet. I've got the bushy ones that I use for wheat fields, but it would be nice to have the ones just ploughed.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:59 pm
Corporal

It was actually a long stairs bolster. I have enough for about twenty fields! You can get it as mats too though. Came in black or brown, but the brown is pretty good as a ploughed field as is.

I saw the bushy mats in battle reports. I have one of those but have yet to cut it into "fields".

Edit:
Like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EAFO8N ... mp_s_a_1_5

Enough fields for you and four friends! You can buy this stuff smaller size too. Bet you'll find it in your local hardware/DIY store.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:22 pm
Technical Sergeant

I like how you can get a Regular squad of 5 guys with 2 LMG's that still get the Hitler's Buzzsaw rule. That means you have a 5 wound double-MMG that can fire 8 LMG shots (and 1 rifle) in a 360 line of fire. You can also move and shoot. All this for 70 pts, which is great when a Regular MMG is 50 pts.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:53 am
Corporal

heychadwick wrote:
I like how you can get a Regular squad of 5 guys with 2 LMG's that still get the Hitler's Buzzsaw rule. That means you have a 5 wound double-MMG that can fire 8 LMG shots (and 1 rifle) in a 360 line of fire. You can also move and shoot. All this for 70 pts, which is great when a Regular MMG is 50 pts.

1. 2 LMG five man section. Is 90pts, not 70.
2. The Romanians don't get the buzzsaw rule. It's only their MMG which gets the extra dice.

So it's 90pts for six LMG dice. Less appealing given Romanian MMG is 5 dice for 50pts.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:36 pm
Corporal

There's no rules for this in the Romanian list, but I've decided the R-1 tankette needs to be included. The Romanians had over thirty of these and some sources suggest they had over 100.

It's a shame Warlord see fit to include German vehicles that were active in single digits, yet overlooked a vehicle that would have given the Romanian list something a little bit unique! Discussion on the possible rules for fielding this little guy can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14579

They were used primarily for reconnaissance duties in the cavalry divisions. It's a version of the Czech AH-IV tankette. The R-1 had thinner armour and no cupola on the turret:

Here's my progress so far. Running gear is from a Fujimi 1:76 scale Pz 38(t) kit. The rest of the hull is scratch-built from plasticard. Turret is plasticard and filler. Various fittings are from the Fujimi kit and bits from a 1:48 classic armour Marder and various random bits from my "bits box"! Plenty of work to go yet, but I'm quite pleased with it so far...

Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:02 pm
Private

Hello Wight as I have to mention a new range of Romanians is going to be released soon!
And BTW Hungarians too...
You can take a look at them here:
http://gothiclineminiatures.blogspot.pt/
A lot of research was made on all aspects of their uniform and equipment hence the time it took for their release!

www.gothiclineminiatures.com
Best regards
Gui

Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:32 pm
Private

By the way what a fantastic game and pictures/models/figures etc well done indeed!!!!
Best regards
Gui at http://www.gothiclineminiatures.com

Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:00 pm
Private

Hey man, keep these coming... everything looks terrific! Especially the scratch builds, wow! I've just started collecting my own force and I'll probably be using you for inspiration on some stuff :) what do you reckon is best for a sniper? Mod an outpost rifleman with a greenstuff scope or get a Heer mini from warlord and mod the helmet instead?

Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:07 pm
Private

These gothic minis seem like they might lend themselves out to a sniper conversion and would stand apart from the rest of the outpost army, but I can't find anything on how they're sold or when they'll be released ^^

Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:11 pm
Private

Btw (last post, promise) the TACAM is also a staple of the Romanian armor, and this guy just had this successful kickstarter for Hungarian tanks where one of the stretch goals was the Romanian TACAM R2 [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/454980184/hungarian-tanks-from-mad-bob-miniatures ] .. I've already asked and he said he'll be making them available to the general public after the pledges have been satisfied, around April of next year, so keep an eye out if you're still interested then ;)

Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:17 pm
Corporal

Thanks for the nice comments! I have had to set aside the Romanians for a few weeks as I'm travelling to a Reunion with some friends for a weekend of fantasy gaming. So it's been dragons and elves and stuff that have been painted recently! I'll be back on this army shortly, don't worry!

From what I've seen the Romanian snipers wore standard infantry uniforms. I just added a scope to a kneeling rifleman. Heer would look wrong, a head swap on an Italian rifleman in puttees would turn out OK I suspect?

I'm in Bob's kick starter for a bunch of stuff, including a Tacam R-2! This model was only used fighting the Germans and Hungarians after Romania went over to the Allies. Thus I'm also doing a fairly major conversion (just started) to give me the Tacam T-60 which saw action against the Russians.

Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:34 pm
Private

Wight wrote:

I'm in Bob's kick starter for a bunch of stuff, including a Tacam R-2! This model was only used fighting the Germans and Hungarians after Romania went over to the Allies. Thus I'm also doing a fairly major conversion (just started) to give me the Tacam T-60 which saw action against the Russians.

Can't wait to see the outcome! Keep fighting the good fight ;)

Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:05 am
Corporal

Well the AH-1V is finally done. Lot of work for something that doesn't have official rules! Also added a pz35t/R-2.

(Edit: the misaligned red ring on the turret roof insignia has been corrected post-photography!)

And I forgot to add the front tow hooks... (Ones from the pz38 kit look pretty good size-wise.)

Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:44 am
Corporal

Finally managed to get back to this project!

Krupp's 75mm gun (Outpost wargames) with converted crew and spotter using mix of Outpost and Warlord bits:

Mountain troop squad to be used as veterans. Outpost Wargames minis with Warlord Belgian Chausseures Ardenne heads and some greenstuff conversion work

Senior officer converted from Outpost with Warlord head as per mountain troops. Bike/sidecar modded from Foundry Wargames with riders a blend of Outpost and Warlord parts:

I intend to field the bike/sidecar as "axis support", so it will use German bike/sidecar as armoured car pick.

There's lots of pictures showing Romanian sidecar combos, but none with a pintle mounted gun. So the passenger is toting an LMG, and I'm assuming has loads of ammo with him so it can count as an MMG!

Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:52 pm
Sergeant

Nice new additions!

That is a great idea for converting the mountain troops using the Belgian heads, perfect. Is the 35t from Mad Bob?

Also, where did you pick up the transfers for your vehicles?

Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:35 am
Corporal

The 35t is Warlord, and the transfers are from the Flames of War minor axis set. (Includes Finns and Hungarians too) the larger insignia work fine as small insignia at 28mm.

I'm quite pleased how the mountain troops came out. Gives a little visual variety to the army.

Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:11 am
Private

New range Romanian infantry coming early 2016 from small Australian company Spoilers appearing on Bolt action Facebook Pages -Infantry section, Lt Mortar 60mm, Command Group, Sniper Team on first wave release

https://www.facebook.com/groups/701899853219502/

http://imageshack.com/a/img633/6550/tg63vq.jpg

Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:14 am
Private

The AH-1V looks decent. Well done.

Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:52 am
Profile WWW
Sergeant

Love this army. I've been following your progress and it is inspiring. I started an Italian colonial army for the rarity and conversion aspect and loved it. Of course the completist in me had to get the rest of the Italian options afterwards but oh well. You are doing the hobby and the game a great service taking a less than optimum army and just having fun with it. Great job.

Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:19 pm
Corporal

Thanks for the kind words guys! I've nearly 2 weeks off over Christmas so I should get to add a little more to the army.

Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next