View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Romanian Army 
Corporal

Getting diverted from finishing my Germans, but couldn't resist painting up a squad of these to get an idea of how they would look. Excuse shiny helmets, they haven't had their final spray of satin varnish yet:

Models are a little challenging to clean up and paint (and I'm no expert painter, but so far so good!

Last edited by Wight on Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 25, 2014 9:48 pm
Staff Sergeant

What range are they?

Sun May 25, 2014 9:50 pm
Corporal

Sorry, Outpost Wargames Services. Website won't let me link directly to these guys:
http://www.outpostwargameservices.co.uk

Click ranges and you'll find them. I have several squads worth bought, so glad I'm ok with them!

Thinking officer, artillery observer, 4-5 ten man squads, a medium (free) howitzer, mortar, MMG team, sniper team, pz38(t) and a truck. Sniper team and artillery crew will need modding.

Yes, yes, I could take two Romanian howitzers and a third German one according to the list, but I want to play something that looks like an actual Romanian force. They were always short of artillery. It was very much an infantry army.

Would be fun to rustle up some cavalry mind you. The recent blog articles about the soviets are giving me ideas I fear!

Sun May 25, 2014 10:04 pm
Staff Sergeant

Wight wrote:
Yes, yes, I could take two Romanian howitzers and a third German one according to the list, but I want to play something that looks like an actual Romanian force. They were always short of artillery. It was very much an infantry army.

I respect your moxy, even if it means I sell less howitzers.

The Squad looks good, I hope to see many more pictures of your Romanians as the force grows. I have been tempted by them in the past, but have so far resisted the urge.

Sun May 25, 2014 10:21 pm
Corporal

Bob Emmerson wrote:
I respect your moxy, even if it means I sell less howitzers.

The Squad looks good, I hope to see many more pictures of your Romanians as the force grows. I have been tempted by them in the past, but have so far resisted the urge.

Well the howitzer is an issue too. Only suitable medium one I can find is the 100/17 MODELLO 14 from Warlord Italian range. Apparently same howitzer was used by Romania.

Sun May 25, 2014 11:03 pm
Corporal

Actually I'm seeing your Schneider 1936 pop up as having been used by Romania. Entirely logical as they bought lots of French weapons pre-war....

Sun May 25, 2014 11:09 pm
Sergeant

Location: In the Shadow of the Temple of Mir-Anda, Sydney, Oz
All due respect to you for:

a) doing Romanians who were, at various times of WW2, the third largest Axis army and the fourth largest of the Allied contingents; and

b) for doing them with a great sense of personal honour & integrity by not allowing yourself to get sucked into the Spam At All Costs moral abyss.

And yes, they do look really schmik in that scheme!

Mon May 26, 2014 10:35 pm
Captain

Love to see the "minors" show up, against all odds.

Tue May 27, 2014 4:17 pm
Corporal

So having been inspired by the Soviet cavalry blog articles, and having read up some more about the rather impressive history of Romanian cavalry in WW2, my Perry miniature ACW cavalry duly arrived.

Being Mr Impatient I had to see what Romanian cavalry would look like. The Outpost minis don't easily lend themselves to conversion, but the two obvious candidates are the officer model and, of all things, the MMG gunner from the weapons team. Here they are in the raw:

And undercoated:

The gunner works quite well; looks like he's holding reins. The body is a touch "short", so a little greenstuff to "lower" his tunic will balance him up. Rifles are German K98 so not quite right but close enough. The sabres were generally not carried by 1941 but some units held onto them. Reckon I'll just give these two models sabres and leave it at that.

Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:59 pm
Corporal

Well the cavalry models were worked on lots more, but eventually I accepted no amount of putty work will change the fact the horses are too big. They're very "heroic" sized indeed, whereas the Romanian infantry are closer to true 28mm. New horses are being sourced so we'll see how they work out.

Anyhow, lots more progress below:

Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:00 pm
Captain

So awesome! How is it in action?

Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:24 pm
Corporal

Dunno, haven't deployed it yet! That's about 600pts so far, (the howitzer is free in the Romanian list Ofc) but it's only 7 order dice. Looking to add one more squad, an MMG (Least it gets 5 dice as per a German one.), hopefully a small cavalry squad and maybe a truck and flamethrower team if points permit.

I have a Romanian flamethrower miniature, but this isin't in the Bolt Action Romanian army list. (They did have them in reality, so the miniature is "authentic".) However the Axis Support army rule allows me to field a German or Italian flamethrower team, so the Romanian team can represent this selection, and thus legally be fielded. Though given flamethrowers reputation, it won't be used in "polite company"!

Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:35 pm
Technical Sergeant

I have been really interested in a Romanian list.

Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:47 am
Staff Sergeant

Loving these 8-) 8-)

On the day of Victory........No One Is Tired

Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:35 pm
Profile WWW
Corporal

Some support arrives: (Truck, MMG, Flame thrower and sniper teams and Artillery observer with sidekick.)

Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:49 am
Corporal

Well here's a second attempt at Romanian cavalry conversions, and I'm a LOT happier with the proportions this time. I have seven of these on the go. Legs and horses are US Mexican war cavalry with some modification. Lots of fret saw surgery and green stick here, but I think these will be nice. Am doing 7 dismounted riflemen in cavalry boots to match.

Irony is Romanian cavalry cost 12pts, can't assault and can't shoot from horseback, unlike their 10pt Russian counterparts, who can do both! (Edit: I got this wrong! It's +2 to put Soviet cavalry on a horse, so they're all 12pts for tegular.) They were a key part of the Romanian army historically however, so I have to have some. Romanian cavalry units were quite effective, so maybe these guys will be Vets to represent this.

Last edited by Wight on Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:10 pm
Staff Sergeant

Did the Romanians always wear the head pots that look like Russian design or did they wear more German styled headgear when they were with the Axis?

Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:22 am
Corporal

It's actually a Dutch helmet, and it was fairly universal by 1941. It's very distinctive, being much "longer" at the back than the Russian helmet. They originally had the French Adrienne helmets, however they adopted the Dutch helmet in 1939. When Holland fell in 1940 they were sent lots more of them from Germany. Some troops however did retain the old Adrienne helmet, particulary artillery and support troops. There are photos of Romanians in Russia wearing both types of helmet, so I've included one in my artillery crew.

They also wore a "bonetta" style hat. This was replaced by a "cappella" peaked field cap similar to that used by Italy,, although the troops often chose to wear this with the two top "peaks" pushed down. Mountain troops also had a beret. In full winter gear a fitted fur hat was worn that could go under the helmet. They wore Russian style fur hats also in winter 1941 but were often confused with Russians and shot at. Senior officers wore a big round hat very like Russian senior officers wore.

German helmets were briefly worn by some units, but these were discarded when Romania switched to the allies. They had a paratroop unit late-war who wore fallschrimjaegar helmets but again these were discarded when Romania switched sides.

Romanians in a mix of Dutch and French helmets:
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f350/ ... er/rum.jpg

Officer in lower left wearing the bonetta:
http://www.rri.ro/files/Panoramice/Pro% ... Prutul.jpg

Capellas, some with top peaks up, some down:
http://www.ww2incolor.com/d/328512-1/cav2

Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:25 am
Captain

Man I'm jealous of this.

Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:15 pm
Staff Sergeant

Those Dutch helmets look like that would make decent improvised trenching tools with the edge on the back of them looking so much like a shovel. Thanks for the history lesson. I learned something new today. Thanks. :D

Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:34 am
Corporal

LMSargent wrote:
Those Dutch helmets look like that would make decent improvised trenching tools with the edge on the back of them looking so much like a shovel. Thanks for the history lesson. I learned something new today. Thanks. :D

LOL. No problem. In return I promise to give a less long-winded answer next time!

Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:24 am
Corporal

Finally have the cavalry done. This definitely qualifies as one of my larger custom build units. They're not perfect, (sabres are on the wrong side!) but I think they look the part. Some of the photos show units with a mix of the lighter (summer) cotton and darker wool tunics, so I've painted the same mixture for some variety.

Cavalry unit mounted:

Dismounted: (Just riflemen modified from puttees to cavalry boots.)

Riding to the rescue. (Or running away!)

Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:24 pm
Corporal

Here's the whole force so far together:

List as painted:
(All regular. Might field cavalry as veteran though.)

1st Lt and trooper
Forward observer and trooper
3x infantry sections: NCO with SMG, LMG, 8x rifles.
cavalry section x7 rifles.
MMG team
Sniper team
Light mortar
Flame thrower team
Medium howitzer
Pz 38(t)
Truck

That's 1007 points, so drop the observer's assistant and I'm 997 and good to go! 13 dice so decent there too. Lacking in anti-tank which is historically accurate, but I might find points for some AT grenades and maybe sort out extra AT options also. (See below)

Things to add:
1. Paint more SMGs and some panzerfaust to allow me to create late-war units. Also scratch a Panzerschreck team.

2. Paint another regular infantry squad to give me more options. Also medium mortar and light howitzer. (Doing a really ancient Krupps 75mm.) I have a Pz35(t) as well. Although in game terms it's identical to my 38(t), the 35 (R-2 in Romanian service) is the classic Romanian tank. Might even run two platoons and field both!

I also have plans to maybe do a Pak 97/38, and perhaps even try and scratch a TACAM T-60 tank destroyer. (Exactly like a Marder I in game terms.) Both are a bit unusual and will help add character to the army.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:32 pm
Staff Sergeant

This is an amazing army!

I have always thought about doing a Bulgarian army in the back of my mind but haven't had the guts to start an army that has no miniatures at all. Such a shame about the minor axis cavalry rules, the soviet ones are amazingly effective.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:33 am
Corporal

Thanks Stu, glad you like it! I'm enjoying doing something a little different.

The Axis minor cavalry rules are dreadful. To think losing both the charge and carbines is offset by the -1 for reinforcement arrival seems bizzare. They should have been dropped by a point as well. I could live with the lack of pistols/carbines if they'd kept the assault ability. Can't speak for the other nations, but Romanian cavalry were recorded by soviet sources as having (unsuccessfully) charged at least once. Be nice if that were kept. Chances are the horse models will spend little time on the table, which is a shame. Escape move is almost useless as they can't fight from horseback!

One use might be in late war option to take a panzerfaust and go tank hunting.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next