View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Romanian Army 
Private

Hello,
Your army is really nice
I like the romanian and I was'nt sur to buy the miniatures.

You have send a link for an australian Cie which will make a romanian range in Facebook.

But I don't have a Facebook profil, could you tell me the name of this compagny ?

Thank you, and I'm very impatient to see your next working.

Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:09 pm
Corporal

The miniatures I used are the Outpost Wargames ones.
http://www.outpostwargameservices.co.uk

Click on the ranges tab and you'll see the link to Romanians. Framed website so direct linking doesn't work well, sorry!

Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:54 pm
Private

Thank you
But it's not my request.

I would like to know the name of the other compagny which will make a New romanian range for 2016

Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:40 pm
Sergeant

I love the flavor of your force, Wight! This is what this game should be all about, creativity blended with historical adherence. Congrats on your great work! :)

Building a 1944 Era Großdeutschland Panzer Grenadier Force! Shall be updated soon.

Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:56 pm
Private

The Basic Infantry Section being released February 2016 also with a Command/Support Blister

Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:20 am
Private

Painted 1st casts from the Command/Support blister Observer, Sniper & Medic

Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:31 am
Private

A Dream come True

Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:11 pm
Corporal

Well some more progress on my Romanian force. Firstly I have two more Warlord pz35(t) painted up, giving my Tank wars platoon of three!

Also added a Bofors light AT gun, and a UE chenillette (Malaxa in Romanian service) to tow it. UE from Mad Bob miniatures, Bofors from Warlord and crew from Warlord and Outpost Wargames with some modifications and head swaps.

Technically the UE should be towing a Schneider light AT gun but no-one makes one! Can also tow my light howitzer and medium AT gun. Romania had over 100 of these, but sadly once again it's not in the list. So not one for tournaments but I can't see such an inoffensive vehicle not being nodded through in a friendly game.

Finally, we have a slightly "unusual" unit. When I saw the photos of this unit, I couldn't resist!

Camels from Copplestone Castings, riders modified from Outpost Wargames minis, with plenty of greenstuff and fine wire to help it all along.

Six camels but eight guys in total, so I can use it as a unit of 8 cavalry. It's clearly an infantry unit scrounging a "lift" so the fact Romanian cavalry can't charge is perfect for this unit. For maximum sportsmanship I would suggest they only roll two dice each if they get assaulted, as they're hardly expert camel riders.

They looked wrong with the greener grass of my other bases so I went for a more burnt look. Still close enough to tie in with the rest of the force. Reckon deploying this "cavalry" unit should elicit a few laughs from opponents!

Last edited by Wight on Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:34 pm
Corporal

And here's the whole force so far:

Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:25 pm
Staff Sergeant

Wow, I'd love to hear the story behind those camel riders. Great looking army mate.

Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:45 am
Sergeant

Fantastic army Wight, well done!

You have me inspired to paint some Romanians this year (although my Hungarians won't be happy about that ;) )

May I ask how you made your Tacam heavy AT gun?

Awesome work on the army.

Bryan

Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:59 am
Corporal

Bryza wrote:
You have me inspired to paint some Romanians this year (although my Hungarians won't be happy about that ;) )

May I ask how you made your Tacam heavy AT gun?
Bryan

It's not a Riesta(sic?) heavy AT gun, (TACAM is the Marder type tank destroyer) but actually a PAK 97/38. The original was built from a PAK 38 limber with a French 75mm 1897 howitzer gun fitted with a huge muzzle brake. It counts as a medium AT gun, but looks massive compared to a standard 50mm PAK 38!

Mine is built as per original, ie a Warlord PAK 38 carriage with a Warlord French 75mm howitzer fitted with a scratch built muzzle brake made from plastic tube and some photo-etch mesh from the bits box.

Romania used PAK 38s, so you could save hassle and use this. I went with the 97/38 as I feel it gives the army a bit of character. I have more things in the pipeline in that regard...

Glad you like the army. It was only suppossed to be a simple 1000pts force but it's become a monster. The challenge/fun is seeing what I can build for it that marks it out as different from other armies.

Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:56 am
Corporal

A few more vehicles to join the army, both of which are unique to Romania. Both only saw action after Romania switched sides, so these should be used for fighting Germans and Hungarians! :)

TACAM R-2 is from Mad Bob miniatures with crew a mix of Outpost Wargames and converted Warlord minis. (Engine deck insignia is far too small and will be replaced.)

The second vehicle is a Vânătorul de Care R35. This was a Romanian R35 upgraded to a "tank destroyer" by fitting a Soviet 45mm gun to the R35. The turret front had to be extended to accommodate this weapon. This can be quite legally fielded in a Romanian list as the errata states the R35 entry for Italy should be used. This entry includes the SA38 light antitank gun upgrade option, which this vehicle would be exactly equivalent to!

Model is a Warlord R35 with gun barrel from a JTFM T-70 tank, with a little plasticard and green-stuff putty for the turret extension:
And the two together:

Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:15 am
Corporal

Something a little unusual this time, Romanian marines! There was a three-batallion regiment of marines. These however were very much a second-echelon formation and were poorly equipped, with older rifles and the older style Adrienne helmets.

The only picture I've seen of these troops is in Osprey's Romanian Army of WW2, so these are modelled on that colour-plate illustration. Miniatures are the Usual Outpost Wargames ones with greenstuff modifying the legs/boots from puttees to anklet/gaiter type boots, and Adrienne-helmeted heads from Warlord Belgian infantry:

And painted in the rather fetching blue-grey of these troops:

To represent the fact these units were poorly equipped I've given them all rifles only, so no LMG and no SMG for the squad leader.

In combat they performed fairly patchily. The Soviets made an amphibious landing in 1941 on the black sea coast against a batallion of these troops who were over-run. A second reinforcing batallion of marines had some AT gun support however and did rather better, repulsing the landing. If the axis support slot is unused they could be fielded as an Italian Inexperienced squad with the "green" option chosen, which strikes me as authentic given their history.

Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:18 pm
Staff Sergeant

Such a characterful army! As someone who plays Hungarians, it would be great fun to face them. I love the camel-mounted unit.

Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:49 pm
Sergeant

I have already posted in this thread before, but your attention to detail is worthy of all the praise possible.

Building a 1944 Era Großdeutschland Panzer Grenadier Force! Shall be updated soon.

Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:03 pm
Corporal

Geez, thanks guys. You'll make me blush now. :)

I'm not the greatest painter in the the world to begin with, and my hobby time is ultimately limited, so painting is a bit on the basic side. The camera is very unforgiving but at tabletop distance they look good. I'm also no photographer. The marines look much bluer in the picture than in reality. They're more grey/subtle than the photo suggests! But overall I'm very happy with how it's coming out. I've a bunch of stuff I want to add still, and have a couple of conversions well underway, and also the "bits" ordered for a very ambitious conversion job indeed!

I've also got the bones of an unofficial Romanian list sketched out, in a similar style to the Hungarian one. (Though I'll struggle to achieve their production values!) You can stretch the official list to almost breaking point by using the Axis support rule in particular, but it's not ideal. The army special rule (free artillery piece) really frustrates me in particular. As I mentioned near the start of the thread Romania were always short of artillery, and were chronically lacking in AT guns. It was fundamentally an infantry army. Once they weren't facing huge armoured Attacks they were pretty effective against Soviet infantry divisions for example, particularly in defence. So either a version of the Italian defence rule or else a free/bonus infantry squad of some type would make for more historically logical options.

Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:00 am
Corporal

Sneak preview of my next addition, a Laffly S15R. Various written accounts state Romania had a number of the S15T version for towing antitank guns, however the only photo of a Romanian Laffly I found clearly shows an S15R model. (Which although a "recon" version was used as a light prime mover in the French army too.) Thus I've opted to build the 15R version.

There's no model for either type, do I've had to convert the quite different (and longer) S20 from Warlord. Much surgery, plenty of plasticard and filler, a scrounged spare wheel, plus some green stuff and copper wire for the folded down hood, and we have this:

And looking rather smarter in her grey primer:

I actually intend to use this as the wheeled artillery tractor entry in the army list. It can authentically be used to haul most AT guns or a light howitzer. Romania had czech wheeled artillery tractors but there's very little info out there about them. So this shall have to suffice! (Windscreen will be added at very end as I want to glaze it.)

Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:26 pm
Corporal

Finished Laffly: (S15R, converted from Warlord S20TL)

Two more additions also. The Sdkfz 222 is a little speculative in terms of colour scheme. A dozen 222 & 223's were delivered right after Stalingrad as an emergency stopgap. These would have been panzer grey. Another 40 were delivered from German stocks in late 1943 and early 1944. As they were delivered at the same time as the bulk of Romania's panzer IVs, it's reasonable to assume they would have similar (German) camoflague applied.

The FT was relegated to training duties for most of the war but a number fought against the Germans in Bucharest and Polesti as Romania switched sides. (They then went on to fight in the invasion of Hungary!) Both MMG and 37mm cannon models were in service, I've gone for an MMG model for some variety. Both from Warlord.

Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:15 pm
Private

Excellent work !

Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:21 am
Corporal

Another late-war option, in the form of a squad of Paratroopers:

Can be fielded using the late-war squad entry, which allows the four SMGs. Over half the paratroopers in any group photos have these, so four out of seven is in keeping. Obviously they're veteran. They fought against the Germans only, as Romania switched sides. Their uniform was blue but it looked too like German ones, so they fought in the one piece jump suit. These were Khaki, NOT blue as some sources claim. I've went for a slightly green khaki. Helmets were grey, but were discarded in favour of soft hats after locals stoned them thinking they were German! I like the helmets, so I've taken a bit of liberty and kept them, with a couple of guys in the blue side caos also.

Minis are Black Tree British tank crew, mix of Warlord and Westwind with weapons and arms from Warlord and lots of grinding, filing and green-stuff for the rest.

Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:31 pm
Corporal

Not many pictures of the Romanian paras out there, but this one was apparently taken post-combat in August 1944. The helmets had been discarded and they are wearing the coveralls that they reportedly fought in. Adding a few pics as i realised most people won't be familiar with these guys!

Here in dress uniform and helmets:

Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:36 pm
Corporal

Been a bit busy with life lately, but managed to get this done this weekend. Panzer III N, otherwise known as the T-3 in Romanian service. They received 11 of these in late 1942 but lost almost all of them at Stalingrad. Model is the Warlord plastic one. The only markings these seemed to receive was the white number plate on the front hull. As can be seen from the original photo these seem to have had the extra armour applied around the drivers view port and hull MMG. But not the extra turret armour, so I've built mine the same.

Sun May 29, 2016 7:45 pm
Corporal

Finally back to normality in life, so I should get this project finished soon. Just the one addition today, a Bofors 40mm AA gun with crew in air force blue and black (Adrienne) helmets of the AA troops:

All from Warlord, Belgian infantry heads and a bit of filing/grinding to modify the original British crew figures.

Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:19 pm
Corporal

Few more bits and pieces to add. First off is a Reista 75mm heavy Anti-tank gun. The original was basically a mix of Zis-3, Pak40 and Vickers 75mm AA gun parts. This is a modded Zis-3 from Warlord with an altered gun shield and muzzle brake from a German 75mm gun. Crew are warlord Italians, Gernabs and wargame Outpost minis, all with Outpost heads:

Next up are 8 SMG infantry. These are to allow me to add more SMGs to produce late war squads. These have Beretta SMGs, so are perfect for early war, but are suitable for use in all periods. Models are Black Tree Italians with head swaps from Outpost (helmets) and Warlord (berets, for use as mountain troops):

Finally a little medium mortar! Mortar from Plastic Soldier Company, crew from Outpost:

Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3