View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
My scratch built world. 
Staff Sergeant

this is kind of neat and i'd like to offer it here first. it will be an expandable foot bridge. I can make two crossways to span what you need up to 8". The foot bridge will have brick walls on both sides of the steps, and can be painted in just about whatever color. I can have this complete this week. questions, comments, suggestions? thanks for looking! make an offer to include shipping to the US. I can also add some personal graffiti etc. figures and sample river/roads not included; however, we can talk.

newer pictures...

Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:15 pm
Staff Sergeant

both main walls are drying, and I'll fill-in the blanks to even it out. when the two pieces are placed together, there will be a "filler" board as in pix #1. when the two pieces are separated to span a road/river or just to look heck-a-neat, there will be an optional matching plank to fill the gap. next...fill-in the gaps, let dry, and seal the plaster tomorrow.

8/2.. the structure is completed. time to paint and add some POP!

one more pix

first set of paint on this. about 90% completed.

Last edited by dano903 on Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:26 am
Staff Sergeant

the next trench section with removable tree...

Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:46 pm
Staff Sergeant

a collection of buildings made this week. the BA pieces are painted by Mark Schloemer. He paints my BA pieces, and I provide terrain pieces. not a bad deal!

the new carrier received this week on top of a wood plank bridge.

Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:13 am
Staff Sergeant

Dan,

In the above pics, is that sandpaper or cork board you are using for open ground?

Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:50 pm
Staff Sergeant

LMSargent wrote:
Dan,

In the above pics, is that sandpaper or cork board you are using for open ground?

I had a piece of cork sheet for that. just something lying around. it's a 4'x12"x1/4" sheet of cork available from a train store. you have to ask for it some times. about $7-$8

Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:26 pm
Staff Sergeant

here are some 28mm double-sided fence lines I'm working on. I'm having an issue with the glue, and a little bit with the design. I hope to work this out. but...they do look nice, and they are standing on a flat surface.

Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:57 pm
Sergeant

Very nice. And the building looks great as well. HIRST Arts?

Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:37 pm
Staff Sergeant

Gravedigger wrote:
Very nice. And the building looks great as well. HIRST Arts?

it's the trench plank pieces I use for the building, fences, trenches, bridges, and a few other things. two different molds from Hirst Arts. great stuff for what I do.

Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:58 pm
Private

great stuff as always...

Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:05 pm
Sergeant

Nice. You've really mastered the use of those things.

David

Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:14 pm
Staff Sergeant

thank you for the kind words.

I've revamped the fences, and added a slightly larger base than the width of the fences. It seems to hold a whole lot better. I've also changed the glue type. I hope to make a boat load of these very soon. Once I get the initial group out...I'll start with some corners, slightly damaged, and signage for the fences. more to follow.

at the same time...I need to figure out a design for some PoW wire. I don't think cyclone fencing would be to that period, but I'll come up with something. I need to hunt down some samples.

Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:34 am
Sergeant

Would this help:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalag_Lu ... ft_III.jpg

David

Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:52 am
Staff Sergeant

Gravedigger wrote:

thanks! that's really neat!

Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:27 am
Sergeant

I would also suggest watching The Great Escape for further inspiration.

David

Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:50 pm
Staff Sergeant

I also recommend watching The Great Escape any chance you get, if for no other reason than it is a great movie.

Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:52 pm
Staff Sergeant

Shattered Tree vignette. I made this tonight. the tree pieces are from a Box wood tree. perhaps there could be several of these to give you the "newly or slightly aged" destroyed tree look. This is version 1...two more to go before I think I can be really happy with it. this wouldn't transport too easily at this point, and I'd have to make another dozen or so.
there was some discussion about this type of terrain, and someone suggested I give this a try.

questions, comments, suggestions??? again, I made this tonight, and this is the first attempt.

Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:05 am
Staff Sergeant

a few more pieces of the bombed out/shattered tree collection. I think I'm done with these. I have one more idea, but I need to work on a couple of other things. questions, comments, suggestions always appreciated.

Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:08 am
Staff Sergeant

don't beat me up too much on the chimney. thanks! :)

Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:09 am
Staff Sergeant

Concept is good. But I am just good at thinking up work for those more skilled than me at terrain building. Glad to see you liked the idea and have run with it Dano.

My original idea was the Hurtgen Forest tree bursts. I think more of those trees were evergreens, but pine trees don't really scale well for miniatures. I kind of foresaw the issue of how to hack your branches to get that ragged tree burst look. My best idea so far is to beat the area out with a hammer. This will get those fibers nice and ragged I think, and hopefully make them so that you can position the ragged edges of your "tree" a bit. Not sure if it would be better to hammer prior to or after you cut.

One thing about hammering prior to the cut, it that you can use some of the excess "mulch" from this process to make some matching ground cover.

So my best advice so far, is it is "hammering time". Let me know if this works.

I dig the direction you are going with this. One of the things really interesting about the smaller terrain pieces you have created is that they provide an interesting amount of cover. I can see where these smaller terrain pieces could provide cover for a small team from certain angles but little to no cover for a larger team or from other angles. I find this very interesting in terms of game play.

Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:50 am
Staff Sergeant

I totally missed the pine tree terrain for this scene. I did have the box wood trees handy, and thought I could use those. I'd have to think about the pine tree issue and come up with a version 2 terrain piece. I do like the ideas you have and they do provide challenges. thanks for the feedback.

Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:38 am
Staff Sergeant

Does the type of wood used make that much difference for modelling purposes? I would think pretty much any piece of wood roughly the circumference of a 28 mm solider and relatively straight should work. I do think a fresher branch may be easier for creating that shattered look.

Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:16 am
Staff Sergeant

LMSargent wrote:
Does the type of wood used make that much difference for modelling purposes? I would think pretty much any piece of wood roughly the circumference of a 28 mm solider and relatively straight should work. I do think a fresher branch may be easier for creating that shattered look.

the wood will matter... I might have something I can use now that you mention it.

brb

Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:51 am
Staff Sergeant

shattered PINE trees...version 2!

I have three samples of wood.... from L/R it's sample A- square balsa wood, Sample B- wood dowel, and Sample C- hardwood dowel. I just have these three samples to use, or there would be a wood D. my bet is on the square balsa wood. The small diameter (sample b) is too thin, and splits too easily- a bit dangerous. Sample C is way too hard to work with. brb!

8:30pm... I have two trees that I will attempt to shatter. let's see if this works.

Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:08 am
Staff Sergeant

this one is a little darker with the ground cover. there probably should be about 3-4 trees per plot. I also could have left the shattered area the natural color, but it also could be aged a bit. a little more detail could also be added to the trunk of the tree, but for not...this is what I have...and one bird trying to get into a pix

Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next