View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
My scratch built world. 
Staff Sergeant

the BEFORE pix!

Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:53 am
Staff Sergeant

the AFTER pictures.

Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:54 am
Corporal

^please explain this witchcraft! What do you use for weathering? Also, have you been published anywhere?

Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:48 am
Staff Sergeant

timmysoboy wrote:
^please explain this witchcraft! What do you use for weathering? Also, have you been published anywhere?

LOL... it is pretty funny to post the black and BRIGHT colors and end up with the final results. the trick (I'm using) is to seal the plaster with a black paint, wood glue, and water mixture. it should be thick enough to adhere to the plaster, but thin enough that you don't lose too much of the detail. once that is dried, use your choice of BRIGHT colors to paint the stones in a random pattern. let that dry. for the final stages, I used a gray powder pigment mixed with some water, and coated the stones to the desired tone. just enough to hide some of my EXPERT paint job in the "pre-pigment" step. You really don't need to be so exact, and you'll end up with some nice detail. Once that is 80% dried...I brushed on some Woodland scenic realistic water on to the stones. this brings out the colors again.

I know there are other/better ways to do this, but I'm using what I have. I also want to try some metallic colors on the stones with the same procedure.

this is not published, but you can view an interview with Bruce Hirst about the trench system I'm building... link below (I'm the Dan Moreno in the interview). I hope this helps... ask any questions, or perhaps someone else can chime in with another technique.

the wood planks are another mold from hirst art molds. these are coated again with a think mixture of the paint/glue/water solution, painted an ugly brown, dry brushed with a desert tan, and dry brushed again with a buttermilk (off-white) paint.

trench interview link...
http://www.hirstarts.com/tips32/tips32.html#crooked

Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:50 am
Staff Sergeant

here's the first attempt with some advise from Narcissus. I know his setting was 15mm, and this is geared towards 28mm. I'm way off on the texture of the snow, and no where close to the ground cover and under brush. this is version 1, and I hope to match by version 3.

1) snow needs to be more slushy
2) ground cover needs to be revamped
3) underbrush needs improving
4) better base required.
5) ???
6) ???

Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:38 am
Staff Sergeant

the next MEGA project??? an elevate walkway as a river front with several bridges to cross. some accommodate tanks and some are foot bridges. there's a "lower road" that skirts the elevated river front walkway. on both sides of the lower roadways could be the start of a town. there would have to be enough river and riverfront pieces to lay out 6' for a table. it could be also played on a 4' wide area. someone bring the commandos to canoe down the river, and scale the stone walls. Perhaps a guard shack at the tank crossing with some tank and wired obstacles. If I was to think about this for another 10 minutes, I'd figure out how to put a 45 degree turn somewhere. Perhaps one side is the lower road, and the other side starts a dock/warehouse area with a crane, crates, and barrels. just a thought. I do need to sleep!

Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:59 am
Staff Sergeant

I just got three new infantry in a "will paint for terrain pieces" set-up. I make the terrain, and a friend paints my figures. here's the three newer pieces with the machine gun team, Sten, and scoped enfield.
1/2 of the terrain pieces are spoken for and the other 1/2 are a WiP.

Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:21 am
Staff Sergeant

thatch roofs in the works! first real attempt.

Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:31 am
Staff Sergeant

this is an 11x11" brick bunker in the works. about 85% completed with a stonewall sample as well. I will gray pigment the stonewall very soon. Hirst art Egyptian brick mold with the HA sandbags, and a borrowed floor tile in the square pattern.

questions, comments, suggestions?

[URL=http://s1179.photobucket.com/user/dmor903/media/Hirst%20Art%20Mold%20Trenches%20and%20sandbags/100_2383_zpsgj7pdrtf.jpg.html]Image[/Hirst Art URL]

Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:44 pm
Staff Sergeant

the wood stack for those misc. items sitting around the workshop. Made from a Hirst Art trench mold. i'll make another dozen of these, and if someone is interested, I can offer some up for sale. These are make from Hydrostone...slightly fragile. questions, comments, suggestions? this is about 90% completed.

Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:03 pm
Staff Sergeant

Your wooden structures with thatched roofs turned out well. I am not as big on the Egyptian brick mold project. It isn't bad. I just think you have progressed to the point that you are capable of better. One of those big blocks is just floating unsupported above a large opening. The concrete floor needs some grout to fill the spaces. I am starting to think those blocks may be a bit too big for many 28 mm WWII applications.

Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:02 am
Staff Sergeant

this is the completed version. I'll admit I did think about that "floating brick" detail, but I didn't do anything about it. The bricks are large, and probably work better for Dust and/or desert. I'll work on a version 2 later this week. this project should have had a roof as well. the rear support bricks were a level too low, and I didn't want to color match the additional bricks. thanks for the comments!

Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:15 am
Staff Sergeant

the square tile floor is almost a one piece mold. I'll have to post the mold system used...it's kind of neat.

Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:21 am
Staff Sergeant

I see those Egyptian blocks being best utilized in a North African setting. We know that many ancient building materials were taken from ruins and repurposed in Egypt. I also kind of like the idea of setting a battle around some ancient Egyptian ruins. The scene could have areas with the blocks and plinths scattered like they had tumbled over with some more buried than others and some sticking out at odd angles. Then have some partially intact structures emerging from the sand. This would also give you a chance to explore building sand dunes as terrain and maybe an oasis. You have pretty decent water skills, so that would be interesting. Any cool hieroglyphic stuff on that Egyptian block mold? Additionally, such a setting would accommodate your existing sandbag stuff really well.

An Egyptian ruins table would also be a great way to utilize those miscasted blocks and broken blocks you might end up with.

I feel like I have hit on a good idea here. Maybe not as good as the wallpaper idea, but I think you could make something pretty epic with molds that otherwise don't easily work with BA.

Dan, what do you think? Feeling inspired?

Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:51 pm
Staff Sergeant

LMSargent wrote:
I see those Egyptian blocks being best utilized in a North African setting. We know that many ancient building materials were taken from ruins and repurposed in Egypt. I also kind of like the idea of setting a battle around some ancient Egyptian ruins. The scene could have areas with the blocks and plinths scattered like they had tumbled over with some more buried than others and some sticking out at odd angles. Then have some partially intact structures emerging from the sand. This would also give you a chance to explore building sand dunes as terrain and maybe an oasis. You have pretty decent water skills, so that would be interesting. Any cool hieroglyphic stuff on that Egyptian block mold? Additionally, such a setting would accommodate your existing sandbag stuff really well.

An Egyptian ruins table would also be a great way to utilize those miscasted blocks and broken blocks you might end up with.

I feel like I have hit on a good idea here. Maybe not as good as the wallpaper idea, but I think you could make something pretty epic with molds that otherwise don't easily work with BA.

Dan, what do you think? Feeling inspired?

you're killing me with these ideas! lol. I should have some time in mid. Sept. to work on something like this. the version 1 setting is always the funniest, but I will need some supplies. I think the Hirst Art molds #94 and #98 would give me a great start to some fun terrain pieces. as mentioned, I have some projects I need to catch up on, and selling a few things for hobby money would help this out. I will ponder this idea, and see what I can come up with. I'll also ask around for any extra molds I might be able to get my hands on. thanks again for ALL of the ideas! I hope to make some "The Mummy" styled settings mixed with WWII. If anyone has some other ideas, suggestions etc. please jump right in! this should be fun!

Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:52 am
Staff Sergeant

just having a little fun with these now.

Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:56 am
Staff Sergeant

dano903 wrote:
the version 1 setting is always the funniest, but I will need some supplies.

I am not sure what you are saying here.

As for you last post. ROFLMAO. No, No you can't blow up the liquor! What are you a Revenuer?

If there were a Wyle E. Coyote game, you could make up some great ACME TNT props. :D

As for my suggestions, I know I am great at figuring out ways for you to spend your time and hobby money. I am just good like that. :P

Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:34 am
Staff Sergeant

28mm building. let's see if I can do this...

7x5" Masonite plank with a floor tile section to waterproof and prevent warping. any guesses?

the first set of pieces are glued into place.

the walls are going up, and the second floor in the works!

this is about all I can do for tonight. this will be a general store with some nice detailed shelves, crates, food stacks etc.

Last edited by dano903 on Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:18 am
Staff Sergeant

My guess is a swimming pool. :)

Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:11 am
Staff Sergeant

the idea is an old west style building for 28mm gaming. using the Hirst Art Mold trench pieces, I can use them for the walls to give this an old west look to it. lots of work to do!

Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:11 am
Staff Sergeant

Cool idea. I am not sure how many people play 28mm Wild West games these days, but the building seems like a good use of that mold. The western style buildings might work for Malifaux, which has a kind of old west meets steampunk vibe.

Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:01 am
Staff Sergeant

street barricades in the works!
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x38 ... scd6lp.jpg

Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:13 am
Staff Sergeant

this is almost completed. I need to add the flocking and minor details, and it's complete. a bit of the feature is this is semi-modular. move the section around as a stand alone piece, as one piece, or mix and match. comment, questions, suggestions? I can send a small kit for about $15 (US only). the kit will include unpainted pieces to mimic this set-up. if there are several people interested, I could hold a little how-to in a week or two. Very simple terrain to make, and make it your own style.

Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:27 am
Staff Sergeant

90% completed!

Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:27 am
Staff Sergeant

'this has been a fun project! I've learned a lot about construction of this type of building and I hope to do others if there's some demand. next on the list is a barn with moving side doors, and nice roof. perhaps a hangman's platform, corral, jail house, bank etc. this could be a very big project. in the meantime...I have this one done so far.

Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next