View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Company of Heroes 2 
Sergeant

The company of heroes 2 alpha test just started, and I got in.

For those that don't know:

http://companyofheroes.com/

It's a real-time strategy game set in WWII. The previous game took place during the Normandy invasion between the Western Allies and Germany. Now, for the sequel it's set on the Eastern Front.

The series was well known for being very different from most other RTS games, where instead of sending units forward to die, unit preservation was the name of the game. You'd have to use terrain to make units take cover, and generally used more combined arms and terrain use than other RTS games.

Now they've taken it a step up with the fight between the Soviets and Germans.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:27 am
Staff Sergeant

I applied... but there are no more keys.... Apparently I will be contacted if there are any more...

Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:46 am
Profile YIM
Minister of Memes ಠ_ಠ

I actually purposefully held off on this one. Every Alpha/Beta I've been in has sort of "ruined" the game for me on release. I want to enjoy CoH in it's entirety when released. No early play-throughs for me =)

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:57 pm
Major

I might wait on this one and see if an expansion does something other then eastern front. Eastern front is the new D-Day, every book, film and game I come across recently features it, getting bored of it. Still the engine and the mechanics look fantastic. I really loved the first one. I am hoping they have dropped hit point based tanks for something more realistic though, that was my only issue with the first one, infantry being able to slowly machine-gun a tiger to death (okay very slowly) didn't seem right to me.

Looks to be some interesting maps with it if they bring the cold mechanics into the multi-player, and snow and ice will make for some fun mechanics.

“Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.”
― Albert Einstein

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:30 pm
Profile WWW
Staff Sergeant

So far I only intend to see how it plays to be sure that it has the same playstyle as the first one. That is my main concern, because I personally didn't like Dawn of War II in respect to how many squads could be deployed. I want to be able to have a massive army like before. :)

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:41 pm
Profile YIM
Captain

JMHahn wrote:
I actually purposefully held off on this one. Every Alpha/Beta I've been in has sort of "ruined" the game for me on release. I want to enjoy CoH in it's entirety when released. No early play-throughs for me =)

I am in the same mindset actually. I have been in tons of Betas and lose interest in a game because of it because I either know enough about the game from it, ruin the fun of figuring it out, or just dont want to repeat the same effort again to "level" something up. That is what happened in WoW and almost happened in World of Tanks with me. Progressed so far in the beta only to have everything reset and it is like, why do I want to repeat that same thing over again when I already just went through it.

Twitch: Darqueling

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:44 pm
Staff Sergeant

Alright, looks as though we have a break down of what is actually going down in COH 2. Here is a 10 minute video by IGN breaking down one of the trailers on the new features.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/12/10/ ... of-command

Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:07 am
Profile YIM
Minister of Memes ಠ_ಠ

Darqueling wrote:
JMHahn wrote:

I am in the same mindset actually. I have been in tons of Betas and lose interest in a game because of it because I either know enough about the game from it, ruin the fun of figuring it out, or just dont want to repeat the same effort again to "level" something up. That is what happened in WoW and almost happened in World of Tanks with me. Progressed so far in the beta only to have everything reset and it is like, why do I want to repeat that same thing over again when I already just went through it.

Yup-- that's it exactly. I totally burnt out on Mech Warrior Online before it even got released. Founders title? Who cares, I really have a hard time going back to it now.

I will no doubt pre-order the game for the bonuses, but exclusivity in the Beta won't be a privilege I partake in.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:29 pm
Staff Sergeant

Just got into the Alpha for COH 2. I only plan to play it to see if it holds to the classic COH play style. IE: You can have a LOT of squads rather than just 4 like in DOW II.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:31 am
Profile YIM
Major

mike48 wrote:
Just got into the Alpha for COH 2. I only plan to play it to see if it holds to the classic COH play style. IE: You can have a LOT of squads rather than just 4 like in DOW II.

I liked DOW2 limiting the number of squads you could have, for me DOW1 didnt really fit the whole space marines are badass super soldiers where just a small squad of 10 of them could change an entire battle. DOW1 Got rediculous at times with the numbers of disposable marines you had, I must have sent an entire chapter of marines to their death in just one play through of the campaign.

DOW2 Captured that much better, for me atleast. DOW2 Was still as tactical, and didnt have the crappy base building that slows down every rts. Man I wish that mechanic would die already, ground control 1 was THE best RTS to ever come out and it did away with all base building.

Dont get me wrong I loved DOW1 and all the CoH games but I felt DOW 2 suited its background world better.

Looking forward to playing this game, but id prefer it if they kept the same style without:

a) Eastern front, everything is eastern front at the moment, im guessing they will cover bulge in an expansion.

b) Basebuilding, it makes no sense, who builds their units on the front line! It works for some games, like supreme commander because thats HUGE!

Rant Over.

“Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.”
― Albert Einstein

Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:45 pm
Profile WWW
Captain

Aww, I like base building -_-

Looking forward to trying this out.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:10 pm
Staff Sergeant

I somewhat agree with The Signal, however, I LOVE building a VERY solid line of defense, and then bursting through it and clobbering the enemy with sheer force and some well thought out plans of attack.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:01 pm
Profile YIM
Sergeant

Company of Heroes 2 is now in open beta, allowing anyone with a steam account to try out the game. Just look for the "Company of Heroes 2" entry in your steam library. The open beta lasts for 14 days and is significantly improved since the closed beta days.

You can expect to see live streams and replay casts so you guys can get a better idea of how the game is. I recommend The Frontline Network for casts once they start getting casts of the latest CoH2 version.

A while back they also announced a the Theater of War mode for the game, which is basically a set of single-player and co-operative missions outside the normal campaign, these will be great for more casual players who don't want to jump off the deep end and play Versus multiplayer. The Theater of war stuff also does a better job of training you for the multiplayer since they mostly use the multiplayer units. These aren't available yet in the open beta, but will be there on release.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:26 am
Captain

Preordered my copy last week. I plan on doing a Let's Play of the single player and enjoying the multiplayer with you all.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:43 pm
Captain

I missed the Open Beta launch. Who is responsible for this?

I will be installing tonight and hopping on.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:36 pm
Captain

WWPDJudson wrote:
I missed the Open Beta launch. Who is responsible for this?

I will be installing tonight and hopping on.

Get on our TeamSpeak server you git.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:42 pm
Captain

Looking for a few solid hours of CoH2 Open Beta. Getting into TS soon...

Join if you're into it.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:59 am
Minister of Memes ಠ_ಠ

I've not been thrilled with the multiplayer thus far. Seems relatively frustrating/unbalanced. I fear I've been pulled deep into the embrace of Wargame: Airland Battle.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:40 pm
Major

JMHahn wrote:
I've not been thrilled with the multiplayer thus far. Seems relatively frustrating/unbalanced. I fear I've been pulled deep into the embrace of Wargame: Airland Battle.

Ive not got Airland battle yet, but if its anywhere as good as European Escalation its gotta be awesome. and its greatest advantages is if its unbalanced, its because your built a rubbish deck. Tough game though. Keeping those units alive long enough to become good is tricky.

― Albert Einstein

Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:36 pm
Profile WWW
Minister of Memes ಠ_ಠ

TheSignal wrote:
Ive not got Airland battle yet, but if its anywhere as good as European Escalation its gotta be awesome. and its greatest advantages is if its unbalanced, its because your built a rubbish deck. Tough game though. Keeping those units alive long enough to become good is tricky.

The dynamic campaign isn't stellar, but it's a wash compared to the last game's campaigns-- no horrible narration this time at least. The MP is where the fun is at. Air brings some really good action to the balance. The extra units/nations really is just icing on the cake.

The way decks are handled is a bit different and somewhat limiting, but prevent the all-artillery or all-helicopter lists that sort of detracted from the occasional game of MP. I find myself wishing RUSE was what these two games were.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:41 pm
Captain

JMHahn wrote:

It is still in OPEN beta, they are rebalancing every week. Last week was heavy German balance, this week it seems back to middle ground.

I am impressed they are tweaking it week by week.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:13 pm
Minister of Memes ಠ_ಠ

Darqueling wrote:
JMHahn wrote:

It is still in OPEN beta, they are rebalancing every week. Last week was heavy German balance, this week it seems back to middle ground.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound overly critical. Relic is by far one of my favorite publishers of video games-- they can do little wrong in my eyes. I like that they are continuously re-balancing, and I have no doubt that someday I'll be playing this game and enjoying the single player.

It's just the little things that irk me-- infantry standing in the open 20 feet from each other who aren't getting shot to pieces, or the rather odd damage model of a tank being yards away and simply rocking back and forth on it's suspension when it's hit by a superior weapon at close range. It's sort of goofy, and that's not horrible, it's just not what I've come to enjoy from some other strategy games lately. That's the cost to make it fun and competitive though, I get that-- it just sort of strikes me odd when it happens.

If I execute a well timed and well thought out flanking move I'd like to see the accurate and timely effects of that move, not watch as a maybe 1 or 2 die from a larger squad of 7-8 then retreat and become nearly instantly-impossible-to-kill in the process.

In a game like Airland Battle everything I've said above can be the case, but it's not exactly a fair comparison because you're working with a much larger scale. Either way, I guess I don't know exactly what I'm trying to say. The suspension of disbelief is harder? I think what I really need is a new Homeworld, but without Relic at the helm of the IP, that probably won't happen.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:51 pm
Sergeant

A thing to remember is that CoH2 isn't modeling realism, it's modeling plausibility and has a sliding ground scale, just like Flames of War.

I am willing to bet you a blister that if you tried a real-time game with mechanics where infantry died the moment they broke cover or got within 20 feet, you'd probably be done with it quickly, especially with the ground scale. I've played games like that and they get to be a slog.

If you want a game with realistic ranges, then sure, Wargame:AB is a better bet. But you lose some in the abstraction. Then there's all the zooming back and forth, and mostly seeing everything as just dots on screen when in a proper fight.

CoH has always had the trade off of that goofyness of ranges, for the ability to actually see fights close up as they occur. It's the same trade off that Flames of War makes in allowing 15mm miniatures to fight at such odd ranges, often en masse. Watching videos of Wargame:AB, it's a lot sitting there zoomed out as things explode in the distance.

Likewise, retreats are there as a pure game mechanic with some root in plausibility. It allows a player who get over his head to preserve some of his force, without resorting to too much rubber banding effects or free timed reinforcements. It's actually a lot easier to wipe out infantry squads, even on retreat, in CoH2 strangely enough.

For example, what happens if you make a mistake in Wargame:AB and lost one, or all your units are destroyed?

Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:17 am
Major

JMHahn wrote:
Darqueling wrote:
JMHahn wrote:

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound overly critical. Relic is by far one of my favorite publishers of video games-- they can do little wrong in my eyes. I like that they are continuously re-balancing, and I have no doubt that someday I'll be playing this game and enjoying the single player.

It's just the little things that irk me-- infantry standing in the open 20 feet from each other who aren't getting shot to pieces, or the rather odd damage model of a tank being yards away and simply rocking back and forth on it's suspension when it's hit by a superior weapon at close range. It's sort of goofy, and that's not horrible, it's just not what I've come to enjoy from some other strategy games lately. That's the cost to make it fun and competitive though, I get that-- it just sort of strikes me odd when it happens.

If I execute a well timed and well thought out flanking move I'd like to see the accurate and timely effects of that move, not watch as a maybe 1 or 2 die from a larger squad of 7-8 then retreat and become nearly instantly-impossible-to-kill in the process.

In a game like Airland Battle everything I've said above can be the case, but it's not exactly a fair comparison because you're working with a much larger scale. Either way, I guess I don't know exactly what I'm trying to say. The suspension of disbelief is harder? I think what I really need is a new Homeworld, but without Relic at the helm of the IP, that probably won't happen.

Try men of war or Theatre of War 2, they are much more punishing but real tactics pay off no end. MoW is more like CoH but "realstic" armour penetration, even the angle of the shot matters, and a well placed infantry squad can change the game, but dont leave infantry out in the open.

ToW2 is more realistic ranges and had a nice deck building quality similar to Wargame:AB, and well worth playing, but you will have to get past the learning curve for both these games to really enjoy them. Which is really the real draw for CoH series, they are easy to get into, but hard to master. Ive found MoW and ToW to be difficult to learn impossible to master.

― Albert Einstein

Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:37 am
Profile WWW
Sergeant

A problem I have with MoW games, is that due to the poor AI and encounter design, they send you and your tiny platoon against a company or division worth of troops, then expect you to exploit weaknesses in AI and level design with things like direct aiming to win the day.

I end up arguing this all the time on CoH forums. Besides being different games, some MoW fans call these things superior, when it's just more shenanigans.

I love the MoW series, it was one of the first games that got me into WW2 RTS back when it was called "Soldiers: Heroes of WWII", but it has serious faults.

But, so does CoH, it just depends on what you focus on at the time.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next