View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 261 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
BOLT ACTION: Rules Questions, Clarifications and Errata. 
Captain

The Search For Truth has begun. I felt the urge to post and maintain a running list of some BOLT ACTION Rules questions that have come up.

You’re going to help this thread out by asking your OWN questions!!! Some questions may be obvious to others, but I want to honor all ‘Fair’ questions by listing them anyway. I won’t list or answer questions like “What’s the range of a Rifle?” for tedious reasons.

I will attempt to update them with OFFICIAL answers as they become clarified and/or ERATA’d. By all means chime in with opinions and play with other people’s suggestions, but ultimately I’ll only be updating for Official Rulings/Clarifications.

POINTS COST typos

Some vehicles have typos in thier points costs. As long as the cost for 'Regular' is correct the proper costs will be +/-20% both ways to Inexperienced and Veteran

ORDERS

Run-Assault in rough terrain. How far can a unit Assault if the assault has my models moving through rough terrain? The rules don’t allow for models to Run in rough terrain, but a Run order is required to conduct an Assault. ANSWER: Total move no more than 6” to get into initial contact, as per Rick Priestly. This was overlooked before print.

UNITS

How much do German LMGs cost when buying two of them in a squad? The rulebook was ambiguous in its points cost, describing them as buying up to two for 20pts. ANSWER: LMGs cost 20pts each. Ie 40pts for two.

SHOOTING

In direct fire, can more models become a casualty than are visible? Ex Two models from a twelve man squad are seen poking around the side of a building. Squad receives Hard Cover (-2 to be hit). Opponents shooting results in 4 casualties. ANSWER: YES. Rick confirmed that more models than visible may become casualties.

When do you react to Indirect Fire? Do you decide to ‘Down’ before or after the range in roll? All indirect fire is HE (High Explosive). There are no modifiers on the Range In roll, other than the Indirect rules for moving/unmoving units. Page 53 reads “A unit shot at by HE can react by taking an immediate ‘Down’ action in the usual manner. The number of hits is Halved Rounding Down”.

Can Exceptional Damage target a non-visible target? This, in part, builds off the above question. ANSWER: Again, as above, any model...visible or not.

Can the Loader of an LMG team fire independently, making the LMG fire at a -1? ANSWER: No as per Rick Priestly. The loader can in fact have additional equipment (SMG, Assault Rifle, Panzerfaust). This was confirmed when Rick posted a British list containg a 5man squad with 4xSMGs and 1xLMG. As an aside, the loader in not a model, but a duty that can pass from turn to turn.

How do I go about shooting an LMG Loader’s Panzerfaust? Off the cuff I’m going to say the LMG forfeits its fire, but we’ll list this up anyway for future investigation. ANSWER: The loader is not a specific model, it is a Duty that can pass to anyone in the squad turn to turn.

NATION Special Rules

Does the free Inexperienced squad, described under the Russian’s “Quantity Has A Quality All Of Its Own” Nation rule, consume a slot in a Reinforced Platoon?

Does the free Forward Observer: Artillery team, described under Britain’s “Artillery Support” Nation rule, consume a slot in a Reinforced Platoon?

Niether of these consumes a Force Organization slot. Think of these units as 'Force Organization + Free Unit'

VEHICLES

Do transports that give up troop carrying capacity still have to worry about being removed at the end of a turn if the enemy is closer to them than friendlys? Page 92 Role of Transports describes empty transports being destroyed if they find themselves closer to an enemy unit than to a friendly unit. While the text address’ ‘Empty’ transports, the unit was bought under the ‘Transport’ section.

Are Vehicle Damage Rolls resolved one at a time or all at once? This is a consideration for multiple FIRE affects and troops on board that suffer the pins a vehicle suffers. ANSWER: One at a time.

How do pins affect Indirect Firing units, since they don’t use the shooting modifiers? It appears that the only thing that pins do is require an Order Test. ANSWER: Pins don not affect indirect fire at all, save for Order tests.

Can Recce transports ‘Escape’ on the turn they are boarded? Page 96 The Recce rule states that a Recce unit may react to enemy fire and assaults with an ‘Escape’ move anytime and everytime its being shot at, whether it received an order that turn or not. Escaping results in the unit having a ‘Down’ order applied/changed to it. Page 93 A Transport cannot be Ordered to Advance or Run the turn its mounted. ANSWER: Yes, recce can escape even after being boarded as they are not given an Advance or Run order. Escape does not require an Order, but results in the vehicle becomming assigned/changed to a Down order.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:16 pm
Major

This is awesome. Stickied.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:17 pm
Captain

Editted to add POINTS COST clarification for tank cost typos.

Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:45 pm
Captain

Posted updates based off the recent Rick Priestly interveiw...enjoy all!

Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:49 am
Corporal

When it says that models with the commander may take whatever weapon is with the model for free, what weapons does that mean? Just small arms? Can the 2 extra infantrymen take panzerfausts or MG 34's? Etc.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:09 am
Captain

MrMoustaffa wrote:
When it says that models with the commander may take whatever weapon is with the model for free, what weapons does that mean? Just small arms? Can the 2 extra infantrymen take panzerfausts or MG 34's? Etc.

The weapons listed right in the HQ entry. It actually lists which weapons these can be.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:01 am
Private

Regarding the loader being a duty not a model: how close to the LMG does the model designated as the loader that turn need to be?

Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:34 pm
Captain

Comradetexas wrote:
Regarding the loader being a duty not a model: how close to the LMG does the model designated as the loader that turn need to be?

There is no range requirement within the rules as written.

Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:10 pm
Corporal

As a question that's been bothering me a bit: was it intentional that the 'Regular' german infantry squad can take only panzerfausts 'or' anti tank grenades? I ask because I keep seeing mention of people in the forum stating that they're equipping units with both 'Fausts and ATG's after all/

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:04 am
Captain

Kriegsmann55 wrote:
As a question that's been bothering me a bit: was it intentional that the 'Regular' german infantry squad can take only panzerfausts 'or' anti tank grenades? I ask because I keep seeing mention of people in the forum stating that they're equipping units with both 'Fausts and ATG's after all/

Those players are wrong...as it pertains to Rules As Written that is. Editted for that last bit.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:34 pm
Corporal

Dano the Rules answer man-

When they wrote the Shooting Procedure, they left out the possiibility of having to take an order test, does the Target React after the Order test is taken, or when the Target is Declared. I could see arguments both ways.

Theoretically, the target is reacting to shots, therefore shooting would have to occur to cause a reaction. But, on the same token, Reaction occurs before range is measured, so....Hmmmm?

St. Louie Bob

Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:29 pm
Captain

lincolnlog wrote:
Dano the Rules answer man-

When they wrote the Shooting Procedure, they left out the possiibility of having to take an order test, does the Target React after the Order test is taken, or when the Target is Declared. I could see arguments both ways.

Theoretically, the target is reacting to shots, therefore shooting would have to occur to cause a reaction. But, on the same token, Reaction occurs before range is measured, so....Hmmmm?

St. Louie Bob

I got this my hard rockin amigo! They didn't leave out the Order phase. The firing is a result of passing the order.

1. The Order is assigned.
2. Pass necessary test.
3. Follow shooting procedure. ei Nominate target, target gets to react, measure range, shoot.

This brings up a parallel question for reaction Fire from a Tank vs assaulting infantry. The assault doesn't happen lest the the Tank Fear test is also rolled for. BUT, is it 2 rolls or 1? I gotta dive in the Cookbook now.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:52 am
Staff Sergeant

The first Bolt Action errata (official) is up on the Warlord site.

Bolt Action errata

Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:41 am
Staff Sergeant

lanejc wrote:
The first Bolt Action errata (official) is up on the Warlord site.

Bolt Action errata

You beat me to it! But seriously, this link needs to get to the top. It's the official answers to a lot of the questions we have been asking.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:01 pm
Profile WWW
Private

:?:
Snipers, FO, Observer and Hidden Deployment

Can forces that are attacking with snipers, FO's, or Observers use the rules for Hidden Deployment in any mission or only the two missions that allow them to start on the board?
:?:

Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:52 am
Captain

Good question. The rules don't say exactly when you cannot deploy them forward.

On one hand it makes sense that a spotter should be able to deploy ahead at all times.

On the other hand, some gamey stuff can occur playing the Top Secret scenario.

I'll try to get an answer from a reliable source.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:47 am
Technical Sergeant

Ignore, found my answer. :mrgreen:

Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:09 pm
Profile WWW
Corporal

I'm trying to find out if an air strike result 4+ ground attack aircraft rolls 3d6 v armour or is it just 1 hit.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:26 am
Private First Class

Hey Guys Im wondering about the free russain sqaud question as anyone offical answed that one yet?
cheers

Looking for Bolt action players in New England ?
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/B_A_N_E/

"competition doesn't make character, it reveals it "- John Wooden

Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:25 pm
Corporal

Gordon

It was confimed by Mr Priestley himself (in a post on the Warlord Games forum) that the free inexperienced squad does NOT consume a slot. The same applies to the free Observer that the Brits get.

Note: this is not a free unit per reinforced platoon - it's 1 per force (ie. if you have 2 soviet reinforced platoon, you only get 1 free inexperienced squad).

Note: I've updated all the listers recently to reflect this + the other pearls of wisdom from Rick - these should be available to download soon (version 1.2)

Cheers

Duncan

Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:20 pm
Captain

@Gordon and Duncan Just updated the thread to reflect the FREE units not counting towards Force Organization.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:26 pm
Private First Class

WWPDDano wrote:
@Gordon and Duncan Just updated the thread to reflect the FREE units not counting towards Force Organization.

Thats great I was hoping I didnt paint to many figures (now thiers something crazy) I have 66 guys done for 6 x 11 man sqauds and I am not painting any more :evil: :lol: Thanks guys!

Looking for Bolt action players in New England ?
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/B_A_N_E/

"competition doesn't make character, it reveals it "- John Wooden

Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:53 pm
Private

Here is an Armies of Germany specific question:

On Page 28

Volks Grenadier Squad

Cost: Inexperienced 40pts
:|
Comp: 1 NCO and 4 Men
Weapons: Assault Rifles
:shock:
Options:
Add up to 5 additional men with RIFLES at 8pts each.
:D
Any Rifleman can be given an Assault Rifle at 5 pts each. :?:

So going off of this, your base squad costs 8 points per man, but comes with an AR per man, and you can opt to buy 5 more for another 40 pts, but have to pay for the AR's for them. Was this a typo and nobody was supposed to start with an AR? This would be the only unit I have noticed that starts with a certain weapon, but your additional troops do not get said weapon by default. So it makes me think the AR's for the first 5 guys may be a typo.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:23 pm
Profile WWW
Captain

@Dularis They haven't officially clarified this yet, but it is being discussed in many places. The fact that they start with ARs is not a typo, but the points cost might be. For further confusion, please refer to the Volksgrenadier entry inn the main rule book.

For now, you just have to say, I'm playing my list out of Armies of Germany or the MRB. The difference is significant, but not OH MAH GAHD BA IS BROKEN significant.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:23 pm
Technical Sergeant

Two questions that came up with our game today, we could not get clear meaning on either one.

1) Airstrike is on a Puma tank, it is near some of the large 3 floor 4Ground buildings, marker for the plane is place and it starts its attack. Would Reece work? In theory, I could have moved the Puma around the block of buildings to where it would have been out of sight of the plane. A 6 was rolled for the airstrike results for the 3d6 AP4 Rocket Attack that strkes the uppper armor. In theory by logic the Puma if able to get behind the building could not be seen by the plane and thus shot at would it be a failed air assault? We went with letting it rip the Puma apart and it did....

2) Crew moving between guns, we had an disagreement among the players how this works. No FAQ or book wording explains moving between guns, as far as we can tell if we had one gun with 4 men, one wants to leave to assist another he can. The others stated that because it uses the word "crewmen" (plural) that the entire team abandons the current gun to go work on the other. Why only part of the team could not go could never be made logical to them as Crewmen could be a number for example 1-5 and the plurality is just damm stupid british wording.

Thoughts?

Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:42 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 261 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next