View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 261 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
BOLT ACTION: Rules Questions, Clarifications and Errata. 
Private

UberGruber wrote:
Officers can boost anyone's leadership to a maximum of 10 (or 11 for Veteran Finns at half original strength as a special case).

So in other words, if an officer gives a morale boost that would put a squad at morale 11 or higher, that squad would receive as many "free" pins as it would take to bring it back down to morale 10. Pins would therefore not start eating into a squad's morale value until the officer's bonus has been negated. Thanks guys!

Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:49 pm
Private

So I have looked all over the place and I can't find a clear answer. Can a Recce Vehicle who has not taken an action, who is targeted by a surprise charge make an escape move? I might be missing it but I don't feel as if the rules are clear. Thanks!

Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:42 pm
First Sergeant

Chancellor87 wrote:
So I have looked all over the place and I can't find a clear answer. Can a Recce Vehicle who has not taken an action, who is targeted by a surprise charge make an escape move? I might be missing it but I don't feel as if the rules are clear. Thanks!

Yes it can.

It then receives a Down order and acts no further that turn

Fallen in die Hölle - German Airborne on Crete
Tatou! Tatou! - Maori Bn in Greece and Crete, Ka Mate! Ka Mate! -Maori Bn in North Africa
Ritterlich im Krieg - 1942 Afrika Korps

Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:47 pm
Sergeant

Going by RAW, the only thing limited by a surprise (less than 6") charge is reaction fire - there is no mention of it preventing Recce in either the Close Quarters rules or the Recce rules.

If you need a narrative reasoning, the reaction fire isn't allowed because the target unit is too busy fixing bayonets, grabbing entrenching tools and pulling out grenades - the unit making a recce move is just beating a hasty retreat (turning their horses and applying the spurs, slamming their vehicle into reverse etc), it doesn't matter how close the enemy were at the start, they're still not going to keep up with the Recce unit's retreat.

Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:34 am
Private First Class

Couple questions from last nights game.

First, a flamethrower destroyed a unit on the first floor of a building and set it on fire. There was a sniper team on the second floor. How do you figure out what happens to other units in building when its on fire? Rulebook says to play it having to disembark like the vehicle rules for immobilized or destroyed. That is two very different things. If its immobilized it not that big a deal but if destroyed you take d6 hits. So is it just a case of bad wording? We played it as destroyed rules because they were on second floor and figured it would be harder for them to make it out of the burning building. They ended up being wiped out as a result.

Second, when an infantry unit assaults a tank do they count what side they are attacking from towards pen value? So side +1 and rear +2?

Thanks
Jeff

Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:45 pm
First Sergeant

I'm not certain on the first question, but infantry assaulting a tank always attack the full damage value, no bonuses for side ir rear.

Tatou! Tatou! - Maori Bn in Greece and Crete, Ka Mate! Ka Mate! -Maori Bn in North Africa

Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:36 pm
Captain

There is no pen modifier during assaults, although it always feels like there should be because I'm used to that from FoW and other games.

I didn't think casualties were inflicted when a unit bails out of a burning building, but it certainly wouldn't bother me if they did. Get out of that bulletproof building!

Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:37 pm
Staff Sergeant

I'm not certain about the burning building but last time it happened to me I had a 4 story building loaded with men and got completely destroyed by the extra hits.

Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:22 pm
Sergeant

How do I know which guns are "linked" or forced to fire at the same target. I am used to a Whirbelwind which clearly says autocannon X4 as one line with 8 shots in the armybuilder.

Then I recently started playing Italians.

The M15/42 tank has two hull mounted MMG, two coaxial MMG and an optional pintle mounted MMG. I would assume this is three shots, 8 dice, 8 dice and 4 dice respectively. However armybuilder lists them as seperate lines in all cases. Does this mean I could fire each at a different target? What I believe the answer will be is that it is some type of army builder format issue but I just wanted to clarify. Also the L3 tankette has an option of a second MMG which I would assume has to fire at the same target as the first but perhaps not. Can anyone shed some light on this subject for me.

In short why do the army builder weapons lines sometimes say X with all 8 12 or 16 shots and other times they are multiple lines with 4 shots each?

Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:12 pm
Private

In our game yesterday we had a few rules questions which I hope you guys can help me out with (was only my second game, so apologies if they are stupid questions...)

1 - Forward position: not sure if we played this correct. Models with "forward position" are put on the table after all usual deployment in the own half of the table (hope I got that correct)
In our mission that felt a bit strange, we played "Hold until relieved" so per the setup rules, I put one unit near the objective and the rest was in the first wave or in reserve. But I also had a spotter, a sniper and two suicide anti tank teams. Could I place all of them on the table in my half of the table (of course still at least 12" from any enemy teams) ?

2 - light mortars: as the light mortars don´t have the "Fixed" trait, I don´t see anything preventing them of shooting on the move. But as by rules for indirect fire, they always hit on a 6. Is this then still modified by movement, terrain, long range, etc. or is it still a 6 ?

3 - spotters: this may be due to translation of the german rulebook. The situation was as follows: The US player had a spotter sitting in the woods, he wanted to use the spotter to shoot his mortar at one of my squads, but between the two there was one of his US Marine squads. Now the rulebook says you may not draw a line of FIRE through your own troops, but he was actually not firing, so my friend argued that it was not a line of FIRE but a line of SIGHT.
So, can a spotter see through friendly models ?

Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:04 pm
First Sergeant

Forward deployers need to be allocated either as part of the forces that set up on table or as part of a first wave.

They set up after normal deployment regardless of which they are allocated to.

HUR is peculiar because of how the attacker sets up, which you will find severely curtails where defending forward deployers may end up being positioned. However so long as you read the deployment strictures for the mission carefully, and follow the procedures for fwd deploying carefully (and note they differ between attacker/defender and meeting missions) while bearing in mind the critical importance of my first sentence above, you'll find it all works.

The light mortar hits on a 6 according to normal restrictions on indirect fire, so that's unmodified and unmodifiable. Be aware though that if the mortar doesn't move next turn (and the target hasn't either), normal indirect rules apply (so 5+, etc)

you can see through a friendly unit but not through a model. So long as he had los through a gap between models, that's fine for los (not for firing though)

Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:20 pm
Corporal

slatronic wrote:

First, a flamethrower destroyed a unit on the first floor of a building and set it on fire. There was a sniper team on the second floor. How do you figure out what happens to other units in building when its on fire? Rulebook says to play it having to disembark like the vehicle rules for immobilized or destroyed. That is two very different things. If its immobilized it not that big a deal but if destroyed you take d6 hits. So is it just a case of bad wording? We played it as destroyed rules because they were on second floor and figured it would be harder for them to make it out of the burning building. They ended up being wiped out as a result.

From the FAQ
Quote:
If a multi-storey building is set on fire by a
flamethrower and there are units on the upper floors,
what happens to them?
Those units also must immediately leave the building,
‘disembarking’ from the building as if they were on the ground floor
– it’s amazing how fast you move to get out of a burning house!

Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:06 pm
Captain

slatronic wrote:
Couple questions from last nights game.

Second, when an infantry unit assaults a tank do they count what side they are attacking from towards pen value? So side +1 and rear +2?

Thanks
Jeff

SeattleDV8 has your answer for burning buildings Jeff.

Infantry assaults recieve no side/reear/top penetration bonus', regardless of assault direction.

Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:53 am
Corporal

Just ordered my first Nebel and was slightly confused at the multiple launcher rule wording:

Is it: Roll 6 to hit and then roll a die for every unit within 6 inches.

Or: Roll a 6 to hit target unit and every unit within 6 inches. So basically one die for multiple units.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:32 pm
First Sergeant

pick your target.

assign a d6 to the target other d6s to every single unit within 6".

A unit is hit if the dice assigned to it is a 6

Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:47 pm
Corporal

UberGruber wrote:
pick your target.

assign a d6 to the target other d6s to every single unit within 6".

A unit is hit if the dice assigned to it is a 6

Thanks Uber, the wording in the MRB was a bit confusing but I had figured it would be as you said. Now if I can just hit something with them!

Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:08 pm
Private First Class

Question and clarification please

I cant remember which podcast it was but Dano was talking about going down with HE hits. He said that you go down after the shot is declared not after you have been hit. The wording in the MRB makes it seem like you can go down after the hit to halve hits. I can see what Dano said being the right way but I can also see the other way being right as well. I would assume that you would go down when you hear the round whistling in not after it explodes on top of you. So can someone please help me with this? Can you go down before or after roll to hit? Also is there somewhere it is clarified like the errata or FAQ?

I ask this because we have been playing it go down before or after you are hit to halve hits not the way Dano mentioned. I got into a bit of a heated discussion with someone in my group when I told him about hearing this on the podcast.

Thanks
Jeff

Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:26 pm
Sergeant

First four steps of shooting proceedure - declare target, target reacts, measure range and open fire, roll to hit...

Going down is a reaction (P53, second para of HE rules, a target shot at by HE can react...) so is 2 steps before the roll to hit. I'd go for the other interpretation if it said "hit by" rather than "shot at by".

Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:43 am
Sergeant

"A target shot at by HE can react by taking an immediate
down action in the usual manner. Once the target has gone
down the number of HE hits caused is halved rounding down.
This represents men who have ‘hit the dirt’ and who might be
lucky enough to avoid the blast and flying shrapnel."

Yeah I'd say you're right - you must declare going down before you see the result of the pins or hits. I think some fellas got this wrong in the tourney we played in, Slatronic.

Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:52 pm
Private First Class

Thanks, works for me. I believe our original thinking was you could react to shot normally and go down first to make you harder to hit. But you could wait and go down on the hit to halve the incoming hits as something special just for HE. I think what messed us up it says "once a unit has gone down the number of HE hits are halved." It seemed like an extra action of going down to halve hits after the initial to hit roll. To me it would read better just saying " a target that is down takes half the number of HE hits rounding down" instead of explaining the whole action. I know I can react to being shot at by going down.

Muggins,

Yeah I had it go both ways in the tournament. I didnt argue because I didnt know what was right. I was just going with the flow. But now I know the right way and knowing is half the battle. :lol:

Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:10 pm
First Sergeant

Quote:
better just saying " a target that is down takes half the number of HE hits rounding down"

Yep.

But apparently everyone loves a nice chatty rules style . . .

Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:29 pm
Sergeant

Or a simple "A unit that is down halves the number of hits from HE. Remember, a target unit which does not have an order can declare a "Down" action as a reaction to a fire Declaration as described on P34."

Makes it clear that being down is the key in reducing casualties, not the act of diving (artillery hold up score cards for the dive? ;-) ) and provides a reminder of how to get down if you're not there already.

Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:02 am
Private

Fanatics Rule Question:

This question came up in a game today and I want to make sure we play it correctly. Do fanatics fight to a win or death when assaulting vehicles? The rules on page 91 call it close quarters fighting, but the last full sentence on page 91 says that if the vehicle survives the close quarter combat is over. Would the fanatics rule override this rule?

Thanks,

Tepabal

Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:38 am
First Sergeant

No it would not.

Otherwise they would either always destroy a vehicle or the assault would never end.

Note that the Fanatic rule kicks in when the unit is defeated in close combat. You cannot be defeated in close combat when assaulting a vehicle, merely fail to damage it.

Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:49 am
Sergeant

The vehicle assaulting fanatic infantry has been specifically addressed in the Errata and came down against the Fanatic rule having any effect even though that would satisfy the requirement of "defeated in Close Quarters combat". As Uber says, the infantry can't "lose" when they assault a vehicle, so their rule wouldn't be triggered. If it's not relevant when they are defeated, it's hard to make a case for it when they win or tie the fight.

Previous discussion on the Warlord Forum:

http://www.warlordgames.com/forum/viewt ... le#p207338

Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 261 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next