View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
French can win games! :) 
Sergeant

Event report through the eyes of my French:

http://www.boltaction.net/2015/08/winte ... rench.html

Proof that you don't have to take US and Soviet armies to win. Anyone else out there had some success with 'Minor' powers?

Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:52 am
First Sergeant

Mad Bob has consistently placed well with his French (and just won Britcon 2015).

If Italians qualify as a minor power, Dave Redhead finished 4th with an Inexperienced/Regular Italian list. Ian Manson won Cardiff two years ago, if I recall correctly, with Italuans too (albeit an all Veteran paratrooper list).

Hungarians are coming to Cardiff this year, I think using the .net pdf, so that will be interesting.

Fallen in die Hölle - German Airborne on Crete
Tatou! Tatou! - Maori Bn in Greece and Crete, Ka Mate! Ka Mate! -Maori Bn in North Africa
Ritterlich im Krieg - 1942 Afrika Korps

Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:05 am
Staff Sergeant

Got some Mehariste on my table at the moment but for my Italian Libyan Askari force. I got mine from Askari Miniatures in the states. Inspirational stuff as always Bryan!

Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:09 am
Sergeant

That's great to hear Uber. I had heard Bob did well recently with a similar French army.

I think that all it takes for some of these lesser fielded forces to be successful is for a veteran player to take an interest in them and be willing to play lot's of games to see how to make them 'work'.

I actually really think that seeing a variety in armies on the tables is important for the longevity of the Bolt Action community. Without any new army lists for the past 18 months (bar the impending Chinese list(s) in the upcoming theater book) there is a real risk of things getting stale, with most playing it 'safe' and running US and Soviet armies.

Stubert, that sounds awesome, love the look of the Italian Camel Cavalry, be sure to post those up so I can see! :)

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:38 am
Staff Sergeant

Got a big painting session on thursday night so I will be sure to throw some stuff up. I think I've got around 70 or so models in my 1000pt list so lots of fez to paint!

I'm all about the colonials at the moment, from a purely selfish perspective it is really nice when people come up to your table and you get compliments just for playing something different. I like to think it's good for the game if new players see there is more to it than just US/Germans (not that I have a problem with people playing those armies of course). Realistically you can win a lot of games with pretty much any army in the current state of the game, people go on about the power creep but it isn't that bad.

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:45 am
Sergeant

Top Job, mister Bryza ...
Just some words about the meharists ...
they are not from black hat but from unfeasibly miniatures distributed by black hat .
and they have released a pack of "real" meharists :

in the pipeline are :
command pack, mounted/dismounted
an other dismounted pack
a mounted pack

:D

but i agree with stubert , with the rules AND the army lists actual state, any army list can give a competitive list

Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:45 am
First Sergeant

Oh, I forgot, Gary Betts' Poles have won at least two events.

If anyone ever wins an open event with Norwegians under their current rules, I'll eat my Maori!

Fallen in die Hölle - German Airborne on Crete
Tatou! Tatou! - Maori Bn in Greece and Crete, Ka Mate! Ka Mate! -Maori Bn in North Africa
Ritterlich im Krieg - 1942 Afrika Korps

Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:14 pm
Sergeant

I have done pretty well with Italians, A I run a small colonial cavalry supported by foot colonials a single unit of paras, vet weapons teams and a couple cool vehicles. Not historically accurate but I don't mind.

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:49 pm
Private

UberGruber wrote:

If anyone ever wins an open event with Norwegians under their current rules, I'll eat my Maori!

NOW I need to collect a Norwegian force.. :lol:

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:51 pm
Private

I'm building some Panzergrenadiers, but am still dithering on the opponents that I am going to build for them... (So I can play with anybody rather than tracking down diehards) French Partisans might be a good and different choice... I am officially intrigued!

Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:17 pm
Sergeant

I've won more games than lost with my French, Italians and Partisans. In fact, I just finished a record win with my AOI force, game by turn three.

As stated, any force stands a chance against any other in Bolt Action.

David

Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:05 am
Private

haven't played alot yet but i am 6 and 0 with my french! only played against germans so far though.

Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:18 am
Private

What are some good sources for models with some more variety and maybe less expensive than the Warlord Partisans in metal? I'd be down with getting one of those squads, but...

Maybe British Commandos mixed with US Infantry and some of the spare German bare heads (and weapon sprues for MG42s and 34s) that I'm not planning on using?

I think a demo set for Panzergrenadiers vs. Partisans is going to be awesome.

Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:47 am
Sergeant

Guess I'll need to get myself some correct Mehriste hey Lou? ;) They look great.

Norwegians...now even for me that's a challenge...and I pay Hungarians :D

Glad to hear you guys have been successful with Italians and French.

Partisans are a really fun list and full of nasty surprises, great fun to model up too. Artisan Designs has a good range of Partisans if you are looking for a variety of miniatures.

Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:29 am
Staff Sergeant

UberGruber wrote:

Yeah he wiped the floor with all 3 of his opponents at Stafford earlier this year, but to be honest I would say it was a strong list.

UberGruber wrote:

Very tempting. I still insist that any army can win a tournament in the right hands but Norwegian is probably going to be the toughest to do it with.

Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:15 am
Sergeant

UberGruber wrote:

in fact the Norwegian list is quite historically accurate :D ( may be the only one :lol: )

You can win with Norwegians using the Blitzkrieg list ...

Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:42 am
Sergeant

fu9ar wrote:
I'm building some Panzergrenadiers, but am still dithering on the opponents that I am going to build for them... (So I can play with anybody rather than tracking down diehards) French Partisans might be a good and different choice... I am officially intrigued!

For my Partizans I used figures from:
Warlord
Artizan
Footsore ( formerly Muskeeteer) VB Civil War range
Dixon (some crossover with Warlord)
Victory Force (nice for crew)
Blue Moon (some use out of there mob range)
Empress ( some use out of there Spanish Civil War and Muttonchops range)
Battle Honors (sell a pack but I never got one)

I know I'm missing a few but that should get you going.

David

Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:35 pm
Private

I'm still dithering. When I woke up this morning I remembered that as cool as Partisans would be, I desire this be a Chain of Command ready collection as well, and they don't yet have rules for Partisans...

I'll take a look at those manufacturers when I get a chance. Que sera, sera.

Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:05 pm
Technical Sergeant

UberGruber wrote:

An order from Gorgon Studios is very tempting right now. Norwegians at Historicon 2016?

Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:36 pm
Profile WWW
Sergeant

And you won't have to make a new tank :)

David

Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:19 pm
Staff Sergeant

Maddoc wrote:
UberGruber wrote:

NOW I need to collect a Norwegian force.. :lol:

Since there are only about 5 Norwegian sculpts, it won't to be hard to collect them all. The dearth of models fits right in with the dearth of rules for the force I guess. Rules wise they get no love at all. You would have to be lucky as hell and the best general ever to win with them. They are truly the worst force you can field of the released armies.

Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:42 pm
Sergeant

The rules are not great but I would not say worst ever.

Free run through terrain is awesome. My Partisans use it all the time. Coupled with no negative for outflank and the ability to go on Ambush round one are kind of cool.

The real lack I see (re read them this morning) is lack of anti tank and no dedicated hand to hand unit via tough fighter or SMGs. Yea, sucks. But, it gives you and excuse to go crazy with troops. I think that would be the advantage, no shiny things to distract you from the core of the army.

Just random thoughts...

David

Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:05 pm
Private

At least they get Veteran infantry! (and nothing else..)

Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:07 pm
Sergeant

And they are the only ones that get Anti Tank Grenades :roll:

Oh, and everyone gets free skis!!!!

Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:08 pm
Corporal

Only five sculpts? Now there's a modelling challenge. Tempting...

Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next