View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
Flamethrower, 37mm or MMG? 
Staff Sergeant

So, all of these support options cost 50 pts as reg for my US mariners.

Which would you take, when other support in the list are mortar, air bazooka and sniper?

Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:10 pm
Profile WWW
Technical Sergeant

Mortars are rubbish in my opinion. I'd get anything else.

Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:49 pm
Profile WWW
Staff Sergeant

Could you please elaborate why? Seems like some support from behind would be good.

Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:13 pm
Profile WWW
Technical Sergeant

They require a six to range in on the first attempt. Dropping 1 pip on the dice each turn thereafter as long as you stay ranged in on the same spot. In a 6 or 7 turn game you might get one or two hits in if you are lucky. Most people won't stick around to let you continue to bombard. The points are better spent on more core infantry squads in my opinion.

Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:04 am
Profile WWW
Staff Sergeant

Ok, thanks. Will try out 4 core platoons first, 2 regs to fire, 2 vets for assault. Will take two flamethrowers as vets as well to move with the assault platoons, and maybe stay alive to fire.

Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:13 am
Profile WWW
Corporal

The mortar can be worth taking for smoke placement?

Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:01 pm
Sergeant

Location: In the Shadow of the Temple of Mir-Anda, Sydney, Oz
Mortars are useful against other units which need to stop, prop & set in order to shoot at your units (think MMG's/ HMG's, artillery pieces, and other mortars). Their use in a completely fluid game is problematic, but they're sweet as come a static one, because even if your dice rolling is a shocker and they don't actually hit stuff, they will at least provide your opponent with a considerable headache about whether to stop and shoot or keep moving his assets so as to negate your ever increasing chances of hitting his stuff. Mortars were actually incredibly deadly in WWII, so any themed army should embrace their usage. And never never never just make them Inexperienced so as to shave points - which is a complete faux pas and is so deeply into the totally no go zone of BA, that.

Historically, British mortars tended to be used almost exclusively for dropping smoke, while the Germans and Russians preferred theirs to blow stuff up. Smoke placement is still bound by the aiming rules, so getting the 'cover in a shell' to actually land where you want it to land can still be a source of significant frustration.

Running two flamethrowers (if the list actually allows it) will also scare people, but it is also far more likely to cost you respect and friendships (except in the mutually & acceptably cheesiest of gaming groups). Plus, it will significantly reinforce the widely held perception among non and/ or potential players of Bolt Action as being little more than 1940K.

Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:13 pm
Technical Sergeant

Oozey is obviously channelling someone who knows BA tactics - cos its all true! :P

In addition my tactic is to roll a 6 first time on the first tun with my heavy mortar - you will be be amazed at the results for the rest of the game. Even though you never range in again your opponent will scatter at the mere thought of another unit being wiped out in a single shot.
:lol:
EDIT Also last game my opponent asked "What HE weapons do you have?"
"None" I replied
" Oh good" he said, and proceeded to occupy every house on the table.

Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:30 pm
Technical Sergeant

I wouldn't bother as a new player. Get the squad tactics down pat first then introduce a mortar back into the list if you are so compelled. If you do that though be sure to follow Truscott's advice and roll a 6 on the first attempt.

Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:34 pm
Profile WWW
Technical Sergeant

Anyhow back on topic:

Out of those 3 options my answer would depend on what else is in the force

1.) Flamers - I like but only if in a squad of engineers as it will be hard to keep it alive long enough to do any damage unless you block your nose (against the smell of Gorgonzola) and put it in a jeep to flank march as a one hit wonder. ie I wonder what will happen now when I miss completely with my flamer in V2 to be standing 5" from an intact enemy unit. :lol:

2.) 37mm is OK if you have a mobile AT asset to work in concert with it - otherwise people will avoid it or mortar it.

3.) MMG I used to use as a long range extra pin but now that LMG have the same range and as usual nearly the same ROF (WTF BA? read some WW2 accounts for a change) I find them a waste of points

Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:45 pm
Staff Sergeant

Thanks all for the replies, as for being new player, hopefully playing wargames for 30+ years gives at least something to build from :)

@Snafu not gonna play in tournaments in any near future, so will have enough time to get the basics down before that, and BA is something I will really try to play for fun, not for the glory ;)

Cheese for flamethrowers, thought that they were nerfed for the new V, well not gonna do the Jeep thing, that really smells.

@oozeboss Iwo Jima list allows for two flamethrowers, and engineers on top of that too.

@Truscott Trotter Thanks will try having 37mm, bazooka and the Sherman as my triangle for keeping the tanks away, part of looking for the flamethrowers was their antitank option, too. Guess playing fow for years makes one nervous about not having enough AT in the list...

Read the Steve's article from 2014 about smoke, and as having something to make your opponent nervous, everything is good. Will put new post with new list up next.

Cheers all, really appreciate all the advice.

Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:14 am
Profile WWW
Sergeant

"30+ years"?

Newbie.

(I'm closer to 50 years gaming here.)

;) :lol: :roll:

Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:28 am
Staff Sergeant

Heh, at 44, and started during elementary school, so maybe 33-34 years. Newbie here though, it seems, with all these ancient ones around still. ;)

Will really need to get my sons to the hobby...

Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:30 am
Profile WWW
Technical Sergeant

I was referring to new in Bolt Action terms not general wargaming terms - no insult intended :lol:

As it happens I played my first WW2 1/72 with Charles Grants rules followed quickly by WRG rules in 1971 :roll: :oops:

Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:12 pm
Sergeant

Truscott Trotter wrote:
I was referring to new in Bolt Action terms not general wargaming terms - no insult intended :lol:

As it happens I played my first WW2 1/72 with Charles Grants rules followed quickly by WRG rules in 1971
:roll: :oops:

Yeah, but you're only in your mid 50's, so that means you're also just out of nappies.

Comparatively squeaking .......... ;) :roll: 8-)

Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:15 pm
Staff Sergeant

oozeboss wrote:
Truscott Trotter wrote:

As it happens I played my first WW2 1/72 with Charles Grants rules followed quickly by WRG rules in 1971
:roll: :oops:

Yeah, but you're only in your mid 50's, so that means you're also just out of nappies.

Comparatively squeaking .......... ;) :roll: 8-)

@TT None taken, young ones need to know their place... :)

@ob Some go out, some in, just the way the world works. ;)

Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:48 am
Profile WWW
Technical Sergeant

Vonrichthofen are you playing against mainly Japanese or are you playing against all comers?
I ask as engaging Fanatics in close assault is not normally a good idea

Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:16 pm
Staff Sergeant

Mostly japanese, in future, versus all.

Last edited by Vonrichthofen on Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:42 pm
Profile WWW
Staff Sergeant

Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:30 pm
Profile WWW
Staff Sergeant

I get that dice are king, and US don't need assault weapons to shoot while moving, now there should be enough rifles, automatic and m1s, the shotguns in 'assault' platoon makes no sense, but looks too right to left them.

The dog should be very good for the points, 24" range to find hidden troops could mean more lifetime for the Sherman.

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:51 am
Profile WWW
Private

A few comments,

On the initial weapon choice,

1) Flamethrowers are a solid choice, especially when you combine them with a transport option. If you are moving them on foot they are not effective enough. A combination of range bubble and being a team weapon (Sniper bait) will leave them extremely vulnerable.

2) Light AT, pay 25 points more for a medium. The +4 will leave you hurting against the t-34s and pz4s which you will see everywhere you go. Also light AT will just bounce off Panthers (very common now) and Churchills (less common but awesome). Especially as they are competing in a slot with your best source of direct fire HE (Howitzers). And if fools go in houses just use the 1" template on them, still D6 @ +1

3) Mortars, Love them. Bring the heavy, the template size increase vs the cost is a no brainer. A 3 inch template is twice the area as a 2 inch template once you start rounding. But only cost ~30% more (this is pre coffee math). It is now one of the first things I add to a list, there is almost always a good target.

As far as your list goes I think it looks fun. You are not trying to optimize it and its pleasantly fluffy.

Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:29 pm
Staff Sergeant

No heavy mortars for marines, only lite and med.

Howitzers comes as lite, med and hvy.

Maybe need to get dodge for the engineer squad in future. Anyway fluff is more important here. :)

Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:06 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]