View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Good Bolt Action Primer? 
Technical Sergeant

So I'm currently shopping alternative World War II gaming systems coming from 15mm. I looked through the product list over on the BA main site, and it looks like they have an incredible breadth at this point. I've generally played German in my 15mm experience and have a lot of "favorite" armies, which tend to come from the autumn 1944 - may 1945 period. Given the larger miniature size, I'm presuming that bolt action is more of a platoon rather than company sized game - any suggestions for getting into the hobby?

Miniature Ordnance Review - http://miniordnancerev.blogspot.com/

Wed May 17, 2017 6:24 pm
Technical Sergeant

Sure I have a few!

1. Maybe Try something different with BA try out a British army. The British army book has huge variety and has the best special rules in the game if you like to tailor your list historically. The British National rules have this choose your own adventure style. You pick your rule from a list of them and they are all good.
2. Join or make a local FB Group.
3. Get 2 armies one Axis one allies so you don't have to play mirror matches.Huge armies with tons of options only like 300$.
4. Check out the BAA face book page lots of great info there and great pics and painting guides.
5. Listen to WWPD Ghost army pod cast (painting and all over good community vibes), The LRDGII,( Best news and Interviews) The Downorder (Great Show IMHO).
6. I'm sure you have some adaptable terrain start teaching people how to play!
7. Rubicon modes, Perry, Black Tree designs, Blitzkrieg, Mad Bob Miniatures, Company B, and last but defiantly not least is Trenchworx. All of these are great models that are all from great companies that get your models in a timely fashion and have high quality.
8. Bolt Action Easyarmy.com Great listing tool free online browser based.
9. Let people know what part of world you are in and that you want games.
10. If you can't find a group locally start one yourself be a citizen solider!

Cheers!

Thu May 18, 2017 1:10 am
Technical Sergeant

Welcome to the dark side :twisted:

I would look at Chain of Command as well as Bolt Action.

In addition to what MD said check Amazon for electronic versions of the rules, army lists and campaigns books for BA - save some $

Start with a standard platoon plus supports then buy everything ever made for that force :lol:

Thu May 18, 2017 2:45 am
Technical Sergeant

Do it in 15mm. You have tons of models available if you are like most of us here. All your FoW terrain is instantly ready to go. Oh yeah, play CoC and Battlegroup as well all in 15mm.

Thu May 18, 2017 3:45 am
Profile WWW
Technical Sergeant

MarkDawg wrote:
Sure I have a few!

1. Maybe Try something different with BA try out a British army. The British army book has huge variety and has the best special rules in the game if you like to tailor your list historically. The British National rules have this choose your own adventure style. You pick your rule from a list of them and they are all good.
2. Join or make a local FB Group.
3. Get 2 armies one Axis one allies so you don't have to play mirror matches.Huge armies with tons of options only like 300$.
4. Check out the BAA face book page lots of great info there and great pics and painting guides.
5. Listen to WWPD Ghost army pod cast (painting and all over good community vibes), The LRDGII,( Best news and Interviews) The Downorder (Great Show IMHO).
6. I'm sure you have some adaptable terrain start teaching people how to play!
7. Rubicon modes, Perry, Black Tree designs, Blitzkrieg, Mad Bob Miniatures, Company B, and last but defiantly not least is Trenchworx. All of these are great models that are all from great companies that get your models in a timely fashion and have high quality.
8. Bolt Action Easyarmy.com Great listing tool free online browser based.
9. Let people know what part of world you are in and that you want games.
10. If you can't find a group locally start one yourself be a citizen solider!

Cheers!

Honestly I've never been able to get overly excited about the British Army, apart from maybe in the desert, so I'll probably start with German (as I already have all of the paints)... but otherwise awesome advice. For Allied I could go American or Soviet easily.

I'll hit up easyarmy - used to use them quite a bit for Flames - though my Excel spreadsheets have also served well - what are typical force sizes???

Thu May 18, 2017 4:30 am
Staff Sergeant

Typical force locally, at least, is 1000 points, with maybe one tank included in a force. I've stayed with 28mm both for a change from FOW, and because that's what folks around here use.

Look to eBay for whole armies, too. I recently got a well-rounded 1200-point Soviet army for $87, delivered. Prior to that got a nice FJ force.

Like you, Mike, I'm keeping my eyes open for FOW alternatives. I played exactly one game of BA First Edition and then got busy with FOW. In the last couple months, there's been a local resurgence of BA with the advent of the Second Edition, and the FOW V4 issues. I dug out the FJs and they're almost ready for the table.

Have fun!

Mark

Thu May 18, 2017 2:07 pm
Technical Sergeant

BashOn wrote:
Typical force locally, at least, is 1000 points, with maybe one tank included in a force. I've stayed with 28mm both for a change from FOW, and because that's what folks around here use.

Look to eBay for whole armies, too. I recently got a well-rounded 1200-point Soviet army for $87, delivered. Prior to that got a nice FJ force.

Like you, Mike, I'm keeping my eyes open for FOW alternatives. I played exactly one game of BA First Edition and then got busy with FOW. In the last couple months, there's been a local resurgence of BA with the advent of the Second Edition, and the FOW V4 issues. I dug out the FJs and they're almost ready for the table.

Have fun!

Mark

Thanks much - I'm going to do some digging to see who is playing locally...

Thu May 18, 2017 6:32 pm
Technical Sergeant

So I've been playing with the Easy Army list builder - noticed I can't take an Elefant on the Eastern Front, but I can on Italian... is this an oversight in EA or have the lists not been updated...

Thu May 18, 2017 8:10 pm
Staff Sergeant

A quick check of my PDF version of "Armies of Germany" indicates EA matches the book's lists.

Thu May 18, 2017 8:47 pm
Technical Sergeant

BashOn wrote:
A quick check of my PDF version of "Armies of Germany" indicates EA matches the book's lists.

Well BA needs to fix that then! ;) :D :lol:

Thu May 18, 2017 8:50 pm
Technical Sergeant

That and a couple of 1000 other errors.....panzerfausts for the Soviets at Stalingrad anyone? :lol:

Fri May 19, 2017 3:36 am
Technical Sergeant

Truscott Trotter wrote:
That and a couple of 1000 other errors.....panzerfausts for the Soviets at Stalingrad anyone? :lol:

I'll have to dig through in more detail... I did bite the bullet and pick up one of the "starter armies" with some Volkssturm and other goodies. My goal is to paint the 28mm and 15mm figures at the same time... should make for some interesting times on the painting table.

Fri May 19, 2017 5:01 pm
Technical Sergeant

Volkssturm are amongst the nicest figures they do and although complete rubbish in the game (as they should be) I have been toying with the idea for last 2 years of buying them just for the fun of painting.

Although they are rubbish they are fairly pricey points-wise if you add some good LW stuff to them for defence of Berlin like the SS or a vehicle you do not need much more than 2 or 3 sections

Sat May 20, 2017 3:32 am
Technical Sergeant

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Volkssturm are amongst the nicest figures they do and although complete rubbish in the game (as they should be) I have been toying with the idea for last 2 years of buying them just for the fun of painting.

Although they are rubbish they are fairly pricey points-wise if you add some good LW stuff to them for defence of Berlin like the SS or a vehicle you do not need much more than 2 or 3 sections

That was sort of the idea. Defense do Berlin has always been a fascinating subject, so having forces for a couple of games along the same theme sort of works for me...

Sun May 21, 2017 7:22 am
Technical Sergeant

Got my first "stuff" in today... Going through it this evening... :D

Wed May 31, 2017 2:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]