View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Saga force size question 
First Sergeant

Guys,
As someone thinking about getting into Saga, for those who have now played Saga a bit, how do the force sizes stand up. For a 4 point game you could get anywhere from 17 to 49 figures on the table.
How easy is it for a small elite force to get overwhelmed by numbers? Does the game balance this aspect out well or not?
Thx in advance.

Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:16 pm
Major

I'm a bit curious by that as well. I'm wondering if the 8 man unit is the "Sweet spot".

Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:31 pm
Captain

I think it all balances out pretty well. Smaller in size but more elite in ability and tough in defense. I think a mix is best.

For my 4pt Anglo-Danish force I went with two Hearthguards(One Dane Axe) and two Warrior units. I'm adding a Levy archer unit and probabally another Warrior Unit.

Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:35 pm
Profile WWW
Private First Class

Let me throw another question if you you folks don't mind. For those of us thinking of building armies but who have never even seen physical copies of the rules let alone played demo games....

I understand if I buy, say, 3 points of Norman mounted knights, i can choose to split them into 2 groups of 6 knights. Do I then still generate the Saga dice of three points of Knights or now only 2? Or do I completely misunderstand how they work?

Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:41 pm
First Sergeant

Stilger wrote:
Let me throw another question if you you folks don't mind. For those of us thinking of building armies but who have never even seen physical copies of the rules let alone played demo games....

I understand if I buy, say, 3 points of Norman mounted knights, i can choose to split them into 2 groups of 6 knights. Do I then still generate the Saga dice of three points of Knights or now only 2? Or do I completely misunderstand how they work?

That also is a good question. I wish there were a partial version of the rules (cut down) that were freely available. I am sure it would help people make their minds up about the game.

As for force size, balanced in ability is one thing, but badly outnumbered is still badly outnumbered.

It will be good to see how ScaryBiscuits will develop his blogs on the game system.

Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:30 pm
Corporal

You generate dice by the number of units, not how many points were spent on the units. So the two units of 6 knights would generate 2 SAGA dice.

This is entirely fair though, because now you can move 6 knights by using 1 SAGA dice, rather than just 4.

The problem with cutting down the rules is that they are so simple in execution that there is little that you could actually cut out. Maybe a cut down battle board would be doable.

Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:28 am
Private First Class

nochules wrote:
You generate dice by the number of units, not how many points were spent on the units. So the two units of 6 knights would generate 2 SAGA dice.

This is entirely fair though, because now you can move 6 knights by using 1 SAGA dice, rather than just 4.

The problem with cutting down the rules is that they are so simple in execution that there is little that you could actually cut out. Maybe a cut down battle board would be doable.

OK, so if you wanted to play, say, a 12 point game, you could do it by doubling the size of your units?

Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:02 am
Technical Sergeant

the upper limit is your saga dice. The game can't really handle more than 8 points max. I'm sure there is a way around that, but as-is its not flexible to handle that size of game.

Mike

My blog!
http://www.scarybiscuitsstudios.com
-.-- --- ..- / -.-. .- -. - / ... - --- .--. / - .... . / ... .. --. -. .- .-.. .-.-.-

Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:04 am
Profile WWW
Corporal

There is a page of the rules that says how to play with larger armies up to 12 points, but I yet to do more than 6.

Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:49 am
First Sergeant

Having not seen the rules I can't comment on the dice use. How much is the game just an abstraction? Is this mainly a dice strategy game with figures or is it a wargame that uses a unique dice strategy as the main game mechanic?

Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:12 pm
Corporal

After reading the rules twice but not actually playing the game my gut says there is some real inherent balance between warbands with lots of figures and those with few. Fatigue plays a huge role in this game, and levy troops simply can't handle much. Hearthguard may be few in number, but they are really resilient, can handle a lot more fatigue, and really dish it out in combat.

My gang and I are building 4-point warbands to start, and keeping our overall model count down just to 'get in the game'. For example, I am building my Vikings with 2 units of 4 hearthguard and 2 units of 8 warriors (so 29 figures total). My friend Earl is doing something similar with Normans.

Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:09 pm
Private First Class

But.... if I take 12 points, say 4 hearth guard, 6 warriors, and 2 Levy and organize than in units thus:

Unit 1 8 Hearth guard
Unit 2 8 Hearth guard
Unit 3 16 Warriors
Unit 4 16 Warriors
Unit 5 16 Warriors
Unit 6 24 Levy

Would I be able to move/use all my units as effectively as if it were a 6 point game? I'm not saying there would be any benefit to doing this, just curios if the game would still play correctly.

Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:12 pm
Technical Sergeant

Hang on, I'll check those unit sizes. I think there is a cap of 12

Mike

My blog!
-.-- --- ..- / -.-. .- -. - / ... - --- .--. / - .... . / ... .. --. -. .- .-.. .-.-.-

Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:11 am
Profile WWW
Technical Sergeant

Yes. Each unit must have:

No fewer than 4 models

No more than 12 models

Mike

My blog!

Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:13 am
Profile WWW
Private First Class

ScaryBiscuits wrote:
Yes. Each unit must have:

No fewer than 4 models

No more than 12 models

Thanks. I understand then why 8 points is around the max.

Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]