View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Wargames Factory for Saga 
Private First Class

I'm looking at building an Anglo Saxon army for Saga out of the two Wargames Factory box sets. Can the Fyrd box be used to represent levy units? What do people think about the quality of the figures? Worth it or should I spend the extra $30 or $40 to get the Gripping Beast metals?

Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:07 am
Staff Sergeant

Location: West Midlands (I can see a 13th C castle from my bedroom)
Cant comment directly on their dark ages stuff but their celts were horrible. I bought 3 boxes of celts and I only kept the chariot box. The other 2 went into the bin.

Don't warlord do some plastic dark age stuff? Much nicer

Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:03 am
Technical Sergeant

I agree with Bob. Wargames Factory is seriously more misses than hits. If you don't give two shakes about quality, go for it. But if you are even a little discerning, don't bother with them. I'm surprised to see them still in business actually!

Gripping Beast is pretty good value.

Mike

My blog!
http://www.scarybiscuitsstudios.com
-.-- --- ..- / -.-. .- -. - / ... - --- .--. / - .... . / ... .. --. -. .- .-.. .-.-.-

Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:50 am
Profile WWW
Corporal

I actually have the Wargames Factory plastic Saxons. I have no serious complaints about them in general. The necks look a tad bit long when you are assembling them, but less so once they are actually painted.

However, although the set comes with bows and quivers, what it lacks is arms that can be used to recreate a realistic pose for archery. So you are going to have to be content with some fairly goofy archers. Now I have read that people have had some good results mixing in the Perry War of the Roses arms with the Saxon bodies, but I can't personally vouch for that. It also doubles the price or so, which is starting to put you into the metal range anyways.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:56 am
Major

I liked the WF plastic Bondi.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:30 pm
Profile WWW
Private First Class

Bob696 wrote:

Don't warlord do some plastic dark age stuff? Much nicer

Warlord does not "seem" to make dark age stuff, only Roman. Anyone had any experience with Old Glory?

Anyway, I do appreciate everyone's input, though it seems to be 50-50, making the choice harder... ;)

It's really the levy that are the issue, if you want to buy three points from Gripping Beast it's almost $90. I'm doing this with my brother (so I have someone to play....) who is the one actually looking at the Anglo-Saxons and budget is a much bigger issue with him than me and the levy for Anglo-Saxon shoot the price up. The other army that has his interest is Norman but you have a similar issue with archers and crossbows. I heard on the Meaples and Miniatures podcast that there are plans to do a generic levy plastic box (like the Viking and Saxon) down the road but no date is set.

If you don't mind a rant for a second, a box of Battlefront Easy Eight's from Maelstrom games runs about $50, a Viking starter army about $48. So for the price of a platoon of Flames of War tanks I can have a good size army in Saga. I use Battlefront as an example because I do not consider their prices unreasonable, so the Gripping Beast stuff just seems an excellent value to me. Yet When I show people the game they immediately cringe at the price and start looking for alternatives. I wonder if there is a built in psychological reaction in gamers to assume the manufacturer’s models are over priced? /rant

My brother and I were discussing the cheapest way to build a good saga Anglo Saxon army when I stumbled across the Wargames Factory stuff last night and made my post. The Saga Anglo-Saxon Starter Army + Rules + Northern Fury gets a bit pricey to spend in one shot for a game we are experimenting with, and worse if you throw in the 2 points of levy you probably need to make the army work and Saga dice. I think he may go the Wargames Factory route provided levy can be made from the Fyrd box set? Maybe Gripping Beast plastics for the Saxon Theigns? Jon, do you think they mix well (I notice you did the same for your Vikings)

I’ll be doing all Gripping Beast metal Vikings, fewer models and probably more therapeutic to paint. If I end up with no one to play here in Socal the models are something interesting and different to paint than my usual FOW and 40K.

Last edited by Stilger on Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:45 pm
Staff Sergeant

Location: West Midlands (I can see a 13th C castle from my bedroom)
I must have seen this
http://store.warlordgames.com/gripping-beast-392-c.asp
gripping beast plastics sold by warlord

Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:54 pm
Captain

All of my SAGA stuff is based on Wargames Factory Figs.

These are works in progress but I think they are serviceable enough:
http://www.battlevault.com/SAGA/SAGA.htm Excuse my "Norman" opponent using more Medieval figs.
I totally agree with nochules that the necks are too long. I cut them down a bit before gluing the heads on so easily fixed.
The Wargames Factory Saxons and Vikings use the same torso/legs sprues. They come in either armored or unarmored sets. The head/shield sprues are different though. Do Dirty Jon’s Bondi are the same figures as my Saxon Fryd except for the heads, shields, and some arm/weapons options.
Out of the available options I’d agree they are the less desirable, but they are cheaper than most and are OK enough especially if you intend to use them as a”OPFOR” force to loan out to others to for fights with your Gripping Beast Vikings.
I like the Gripping Beast Vikings and Saxons plastics better, but they still need to come out with un(less) armoured Bondi and Fryd to fill those “Warrior” and “Levy” ranks. All the GB plastic stuff looks like Hearthguards to me. So I do not need as much of them.

Cheers, VB

Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:03 pm
Profile WWW
First Sergeant

VonBurge wrote:
These are works in progress but I think they are serviceable enough:
http://www.battlevault.com/SAGA/SAGA.htm Excuse my "Norman" opponent using more Medieval figs.

Thanks for the link to the really good looking AAR and your thoughts on how to prepare the figures is useful too.

Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]